1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Season releases.

2. howard1908

howard1908 Stunt Coordinator

howard hughes
    I wonder for ben casey, if they are using the 35mm masters or the timesped worldvision tapes that used to air back in the 80s. Regardless I'll gladly buy it. But i suspect that the worldvision tapes are going to be the source material simply because little work and money needs to be allocated to them in order to get them out there.

Darby67 likes this.
  3. Tom.W

Tom.W Stunt Coordinator

Hopefully they will not be edited, as turned out with a significant number of the My Three Sons MOD episodes.

4. howard1908

howard hughes
    I did not know they were edited, by how much, 1 minute or more like 3 or 4.

5. Tom.W

Tom.W Stunt Coordinator

3 minutes, 25+ minute episodes coming in at about 22:30 minutes. A handful of episodes on MTS MOD seasons 3 and 4.

Flashgear likes this.
  6. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Great news! Looking forward to getting both series.
    So , let's see, so far from CBS MOD we've gotten :
    How TO Marry A Millionaire Seasons 1 and 2 .
    Californians Seasons 1 and 2 (DVD and Blu-ray)
    My Three Sons Seasons 3 and 4 (possibly 5 )
    SOON : Our Miss Brooks , Ben Casey .
    Did I miss any?
    Gary, does CBS have the right to The People's Choice . I kind of remember hearing that they did , but I think Wikipedia lists MCA , If it CBS,
    I 'd love to see them issue all three seasons . I's a "grail " show for me . I wonder about the other McCadden Productions show like Love That Bob and Happy . Does CBS have the rights to them?

7. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Cinematographer

Peter Fitzgerald
    One of my remaining top grail shows, Panic! (1957-58), is also a McCadden Production, so I wonder if CBS might have that, too. However, the company's output seems to be spread out across multiple studios... The Jack Benny Show (or at least a good portion of it) is with Universal; Petticoat Junction is, of course, with CBS; Love That Bob is, I think, with MPI; Mona McCluskey is, I believe, with MGM; No Time for Sergeants is with Warner Bros, and so on.

Purple Wig, Darby67, Jack K and 4 others like this.
  8. howard1908

howard hughes
    Unfortunately, Jack Benny seems to have major rights issues, to the point that even where even the time-life set had to use the same handful of PD episodes instead of previously unreleased material because of the music rights. As to my knowledge, Bob Cummings seems to suffer a fate similar 50s Dragnet in that nobody knows what episodes are public domain and what are not.

I personally think this mini explosion of CBS-MOD content will consist of stuff with existing tape elements like ben casey and my 3 sons, or elements recently restored for syndication like Californians and Our Miss Brooks. So it is unlikely we will be seeing rare classics like, December Bride, Pete and Gladys or The People's Choice.

Darby67, Jack K and Jeff Flugel like this.
  9. Message #3489 of 3725 Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    The People's Choice was broadcast during the late 1990's on The Nostalgia Channel ( gone now , but maybe it morphed into another "oldies" station ?). I recall that the prints shown were decent enough , possibly remastered at the time, and I think complete . These prints most likely taped from TV onto VHS are probably the source of the "collectors" DVD making the rounds these days. I don't know how fussy CBS MOD is regarding prints used - some posters on this thread are reporting that My Three Sons episodes are incomplete versions, so having HD masters might not matter . Hey, what ever happens , happens , but I always try to keep my hopes up that some interesting things will turn up on DVD . We're getting Out Miss Brooks , and Ben Casey after all.

10. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    While I can't speak with any official authority on this subject, my thoughts would mirror yours, Howard. I don't expect we will see anything more than what has already been restored for syndication use or has already been remastered to some degree decades ago. But again, I honestly don't know. That's just my best guess.

Gary "wish I were calling the shots at CBS - then I can guarantee you these great 50's/60's gems would be out. Well, either they'd be out or I'd be out (of a job there)" O. :D

11. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    That sounds likely. What other CBS owned shows have existing tape elements that might be used? Has the original music been used on more recent My Three Sons releases?

Darby67, Jack K and Flashgear like this.
  12. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Good News. I'm in for Our Miss Brooks. This were reportedly remastered a couple years ago so they should look good.

13. howard1908

howard hughes
    The only other B&W CBS show i can think of with readily availiable elements is The Millionaire, so that may be a Possibility.

Darby67 likes this.
  14. Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    Great - and unexpected - news about Our Miss Brooks and Ben Casey. I enjoyed getting to finally see OMB for the first time when it aired early mornings on Me-TV a couple of years ago. I've never seen BC, but I enjoy a good medical drama series. (I already have in my TV-on-disc collection Medic, The Bold Ones: The New Doctors, Medical Center, Chicago Hope, House, M.D., the 1 season WAC has released of The Eleventh Hour, and the 2 seasons Shout Factory has released of Marcus Welby, M.D. So I'm definitely open to trying this one.)

I'd prefer complete series sets, to avoid the inevitable wondering of whether all seasons will eventually be released; but ultimately I'm just glad these shows are coming out at all. I'm in for all seasons of OMB. If I enjoy Season 1 of BC, I'll gladly get the remaining seasons of it as well.

15. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Years ago I heard that MPI was going to release a comprehensive Love That Bob set, but it never happened . I wonder if MPI still has any rights to the show if they ever did .

Flashgear, Jack K and Jeff Flugel like this.
  16. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Hmm. Wonder if there will be any news of Run for Your Life and Name of the Game someday? Do you think the release news of Ben Casey and Our Miss Brooks will be the last of the releases of the fifties and sixties era?

James

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  17. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    You never know . Every time we think that releases of B&W shows on DVD is running out of steam, surprising releases get announced.
    Both shows you mention are good programs (especially Run For Your Life, for me ). Let 's hope that companies continue to release these vintage programs - there are still many great shows waiting to surface!

18. Message #3498 of 3725 Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    I might be in for Ben Casey as long as every episode is complete and uncut. Our Miss Brooks, no I don't think so, I'll probably pass on that one.

I'd definitely be in for The Cara Williams Show series on DVD as long as every episode is complete and uncut.

Does anyone know how My Three Sons season 4 turned out? Does it have edited episodes like season 3 has?

Flashgear likes this.
  19. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Did I miss something? Was the Cara Williams Show announced as well as Our Miss Brooks , and Ben Casey ?

20. Tom.W

Tom.W Stunt Coordinator

Volume 1 of season 4 has 5 edited episodes (out of 18). About 3 minutes missing from 4 episodes, 2 minutes missing from 1 episode. As with season 3, they are not remastered, with the original music.

LeoA and Flashgear like this.