What's new

Is Pink Floyd Dead? (1 Viewer)

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Another good PF cover that I just remembered. At one of their Halloween shows a few years back, Phish "were" Pink Floyd and played all of Dark Side of the Moon. It's really great.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Phish do that from time to time with various bands. I think they did all of the Who's Quadrophenia album one night too.
I'm not really a Phish-head though, so I could have that a bit off. :)

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
just heard a "cover" of Wish You Were Here on the radio, I didn't catch the name of the group doing it.
Catherine Wheel did a cover of Wish You Were Here on their album "Like Cats and Dogs". I didn't particularily care for it, but was surprised that my friend Jason, who is a HUGE Floyd fan, loved it. I do like the rest of the album, though. Catherine Wheel is a pretty good group.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Incubus also recorded a song called Wish You Were Here, but it was an original, not a Floyd cover. It's sort of a rocker.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Another good PF cover that I just remembered. At one of their Halloween shows a few years back, Phish "were" Pink Floyd and played all of Dark Side of the Moon. It's really great.
It wasn't a Halloween show. It was 11/2/98. There have been four complete Halloween album covers:
1994: The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album)
1995: The Who - Quadrophenia (with The Giant Country Horns)
1996: Talking Heads - Remain In Light
1998: Velvet Underground - Loaded
P.S. All four of these shows will be released as Live Phish vols. 13 through 16 in October 2002.
NP: Rolling Stones - Brussels Affair

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
The Foo Fighters and Queen's Brian May covered "Have a Cigar" which is off the "Mission: Impossible 2" soundtrack. Loved it!

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I've got a collection of Floyd covers. Some are good, and some are just novelties slapped together by a record label. I've got orchestral, electronic, two different bluegrass, "acoustic female" (a bunch of uninspired Sheryl Crow and Shania Twain wannabes), and reggae.

But without a doubt the best Pink Floyd cover has to be Colonel Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade "Live Frogs Set 2", a live performance of the whole Animals album. It kicks ass.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
But without a doubt the best Pink Floyd cover has to be Colonel Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade "Live Frogs Set 2", a live performance of the whole Animals album. It kicks ass.
I will have to agree with this assessment. I think the reason Les Claypool succeeds with Floyd covers is that, like Roger Waters, he has a maniacal sounding voice.
Greg,
I am not that big of a Phish fan, but I will be picking up a couple of those Halloween shows in October. :)
-Dean-

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
Its not looking good for us Floyd fans here.
CNN/Pink Floyd
Would've been nice to hear something new from Pink Floyd, but we'll have to get along with Waters solo and Gilmour solo albums.
Paul

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
I am really looking forward to that David Gilmour DVD.

Aren't Pink Floyd in the R&R Hall of Fame? I don't seem to remember if they participated.

Hopefully, Nick Mason's rekindled friendship with Waters will be the catalyst for a reunion. Gilmour/Waters can't keep up this silly feud forever.... can they??

C

James Q Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Gilmour/Waters can't keep up this silly feud forever.... can they??
Probably not. But just because they're not interested in working together doesn't mean that there's "still a feud". I don't think there are many hard feelings any more between them, after all, the members all worked together on the excellent "The Wall Live" CD that came out a couple years ago. It could be that they just don't want to work together as a main band any more.

Kind of like The Police.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Look for some type of one-time-only PF live performance; some type of charity event. That's the only way these four would ever reunite. They see no purpose in continuing (hello, Rolling Stones?).

The barriers have slowly broken down (old hurts have a tendency to heal with time, after all) and a charity event would be something where they could all say they didn't do it for the $$$. Nick Mason making a guest appearance at Waters' In the Flesh concert a few months ago is the first sign.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I don't think they really worked together on the "Is There Anybody Out There?" live Wall CD. All they had to do is 1) agree that the thing can be made, and 2) approve the finished product. Similar to the "Echoes" compilation. Echoes had one additional step, in between deciding to do it and approving the finished product, they had to agree on which songs would be included. None of this required Gilmour and Waters to actually work together, this was simply collaboration by fax machine. Engineer James Guthrie did all the work to restore the tracks and mix the compilation.

Pink Floyd are in the R&R Hall of Fame. They were inducted a few years ago. Waters did not attend the ceremony but he did contribute to the exhibit.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
All you Pink Floyd fans need to discover a band called Porcupine Tree if you haven't all ready. Lots of Floydian sounds going on but they seem a little more prolific and they don't have the depressing Waters sound---more of a Gilmore voice with wailing guitars and all. I'd start with Stupid Dream or the new In Absentia. Give em a spin. Sample some of it here.....
http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver.../itemid=647490

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks