What's new

Is Pink Floyd Dead? (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
It's an integral part of the band's history, and defines a definite borderline between a genre-defining group and a rock band.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I pop in the IN THE FLESH DVD at least once a week for my Waters fix, and I'd rather see another Roger Waters album than a new "Pink Floyd." I saw them in the Kingdome and thought it kicked ass, but then saw Roger in the Rose Garden a couple years ago for the In The Flesh Tour and promptly retired any ideas that the Floyd is the Floyd without Waters. I haven't heard the SACD version of IN THE FLESH; is it worth getting the player for? Or is the DVD as good? There are a few discs I'd get on SACD, but want to know if it's worth the price.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
A bad Pink Floyed album (The Division Bell, for example) is better than 1/2 the crap that gets manufactured today. I wouldn't say TDB is a favorite album, but I certainly like it.

I personally love The Final Cut and The Wall the most.

I wouldn't mind another release. I don't think I'd pay to see them live again, it's hardly a concert, more of a spectacle.

Stephanie T.

Stunt Coordinator
I just heard this on NPR's "All Things Considered": the #1-selling book in Iran right now is a compilation of Pink Floyd lyrics, translated into Farsi. :cool:

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Okay, let's beat the dead horse some more...

The Final Cut isn't a Pink Floyd album. The cover says it is "by Roger Waters, performed by Pink Floyd". It's a Pink Floyd album only in the same sense as if Pink Floyd were to record some jammin' versions of Gershwin tunes (Rhapsody in Pink?) then I guess you could also call it a Pink Floyd album.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
So why wasn't the album simply called 'Roger Waters Jams With Pink Floyd'? It's a Floyd album, through and through. That statement on the album is only a reflection of the strife within the band during that time. If you notice, Rick Wright's name isn't in the credits. He's on the album, but the tension between him and Waters was so great, and he was so dissatisfied with the album, that he didn't even want to be credited for it. Granted, this recording was certainly influenced by Waters to a great extent, but the fact that it says Pink Floyd on the cover is all the evidence we need.

JordanS

Second Unit
Hey Larry,

What specifically didn't you like about The Division Bell?

I think that Cluster One/Marooned/Wearing The Inside Out/High Hopes are some of the best Floydian songs their are. Yes, I am truely devoted to Pink Floyd, and The Division Bell has some great, great songs on it.

However, most of the album lacks the "tension" of the Floyd where Roger was involved, but the music is there. Waters was a lyrical mastermind and an AVERAGE bass player, which was even admitted.

Tell me you don't like Marooned or High Hopes......if thats not Floydian, I don't know what is........

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Jeff:

Richard Wright had previously been "fired'' by the remaining members of the band prior to The Final Cut. Wright did not play keyboards on The Final Cut. In fact, he didn't do a lot of the keyboards on The Wall. Michael Kamen all but replaced him on that album.

If I recall correctly, Wright was fired before The Wall concerts were performed. He appeared in those concerts as a contract player. After the Gilmour-Waters breakdown in the mid-80s, Gilmour and Mason recruited Wright back into the fold to carry on the Pink Floyd name.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Richard Wright was fired, and turned into a contract player for the album. According to the book Echoes by Cliff Jones, if Wright did not finish the recordings in this manner, Waters would walk off with the unfinished tapes, leaving the band in financial ruin. Wright was allowed to finish the album and tour as a last hurrah for the fans. Dave Mason's output at this time was half-hearted, and he almost got the boot as well.

I remember the DVD documentary for Pink Floyd The Wall having James Guthrie mention that he finished up Wright's work.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Wright performed in the Wall concerts as a contract player and was therefore the only one of the four to actually make money from the extraordinarily expensive productions.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I have always considered The Final Cut pretty much a Waters album with the rest of Floyd as a backup band. As such, it's probably the one least likely to appeal to a fan of something like The Division Bell (a rather good thing, I think).

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Aw, heck, it's been so long since I've read my books on Floyd that my facts are all whacked.:D Anyway, I have fond memories of The Final Cut, it was the first Floyd album I ever bought. I was 15 when it came out. It's certainly not the best of the bunch, but better than The Division Bell, IMO. I'm not saying TDB is bad, and I like all the tracks listed above, espcially Rick Wright's 'Wearing the Inside Out', great tune! But, like said, the record didn't have an edge to it. To me, overall it sounded like old men that don't smoke weed anymore, as opposed to 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason', which sounds like middle-age men trying to recapture a high but not quiet succeeding. Does any of this make sense? :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks