What's new

Is Pink Floyd Dead? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Well? Sure, we've had our share of live albums and collections in the last 8 years since the release of 'The Division Bell', but is another studio recording currently in the works? It would really be nice to hear some new guitar licks from David Gilmour.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Dave Gilmour said last year that he has no interest in reviving the group. Personally, I hated the Division Bell, so unless it's a Dave/Roger reunion, I've lost interest. There are plenty of bootlegs out there.

NP: Pink Floyd-Atom Heart Mother

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Get Paul McCartney's album "Run Devil Run" and the live DVD "Live at the Cavern Club" for some good Gilmour guitar work.

NP: Steely Dan Donald Fagan: "Kamakiriad"

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
If Floyd's stuff is ever re-released on DVD-A or SACD, especially in multi-channel, they will be re-born again!

Gordon Wakim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gordon
Are they ever going to release Pompeii, Delicate Sound Of Thunder and Pulse on DVD? It seems like forever since I heard anything about these releases.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
bleh. just heard a "cover" of Wish You Were Here on the radio, I didn't catch the name of the group doing it.
it was not pretty. :thumbsdown: some lyrics were changed as well. anyone know more about this abomination?
come to think of it, have there been any decent covers of Pink Floyd material? I remember once in college I heard a band play a decent Another Brick In The Wall, but have never heard anything recorded.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Primus did a great cover of "Have a Cigar" on their Miscellaneous Debris EP. There's a cool Gabriel cover there, too.

Next year is the 30th anniversary of Dark Side of the Moon. I have the special 20th anniversary release, so I wonder if there's something up someone's sleeve for next year.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Philip Hamm, how is that Fagan record? I love Steely Dan, but never heard any of their solo albums.

Dream Theater does a mean cover of Hey You.
The Magna Carta label has a tribute album which features artists on their label performing all of Dark Side of the Moon. I heard it once; it's not bad.

To me, Floyd truly ended when Waters left.

NP: Jethro Tull, Nightcap- Chataeu D'Isaster Tapes

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I'll bet the WYWH cover is the one Fred Durst did for the Tribute To Heroes special. Yes, it's pretty terrible.
If I wanted to be really catty, I could observe that Gilmour and Waters have both been playing and releasing some pretty good PF cover tunes lately, but I won't go there. :)
There are some good performances of Wall tracks by various artists on Water's "Wall Live In Berlin" album/video. Some bad ones, too.
Ryan

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Philip Hamm, how is that Fagan record? I love Steely Dan, but never heard any of their solo albums.
Kamakiriad is OK, but Fagan's first solo effort, "The Nightfly" is one of my all-time favorite albums. I think Fagan's stuff is a little more straight-forward than Steely Dan, SD did some hokey stuff (which I think was fun, but sometimes a little out of place).

-Mike...

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
An old, obscure band called Wrathchild America covered 'Time' from DSOTM, this was back in 1990 I believe. Good cover, too.

James Zubb

Stunt Coordinator
Voivod did a killer cover of Astronomy Domine on Nothing Face.

They really need to release the quadraphonic recordings on DVD-A or SACD.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
It's great. Not as good as "The Nightfly" (which I have on vinyl) as previously stated, but darn good nonetheless. One of my favorites. Becker plays bass and guitar all over it and produced the album that's why it's practically a Steely Dan album.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Becker plays bass and guitar all over it and produced the album that's why it's practically a Steely Dan album.
Man, that is too funny. It's so often that someone from a band needs to make a solo album to "express themselves," only to end up getting members from his band anyway. :laugh:
I'll keep an eye out for those albums.
NP: Pat Metheny, Trio 99->00

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Jerry Cantrell did a nice cover of Brain Damage when I saw him open for Metallica in 98.

And I will crap myself when/if they ever do Pulse on DVD or release any DVD-A.

BTW I saw PF in concert in 94 on the Division Bell tour. I will never forget that show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks