What's new

Directors Pitifully Underrepresented on Blu-ray, M-Z (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Here is a (very) partial list of directors who are being paid little or no attention to by studios on Blu-ray (some of the titles I use as examples are available from other countries, but as I write this, they are not for sale in the US):

Alexander Mackendrick (A HIGH WIND IN JAMAICA, MAN IN THE WHITE SUIT, WHISKEY GALORE)
Louis Malles (ATLANTIC CITY, PRETTY BABY, MY DINNER WITH ANDRE)
Rouben Mamoulian (DR. JEKYLL & MR. HYDE 1932, QUEEN CRISTINA, SILK STOCKINGS)
Anthony Mann (FAR COUNTRY, NAKED SPUR, BEND OF THE RIVER, FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE)
George Marshall (DESTRY RIDES AGAIN, GHOST BREAKERS, PAPA'S DELICATE CONDITION)
Rudolph Mate (WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE, DOA 1950, UNION STATION)
Norman Z. McLeod (THE PALEFACE, MONKEY BUSINESS 1931, HORSE FEATHERS)
Robert Mulligan (MAN IN THE MOON, UP THE DOWNSTAIR CASE, BABY THE RAIN MUST FALL)
Ralph Nelson (SOLDIER BLUE, CHARLY, REQUIEM FOR A HEAVYWEIGHT)
Mike Nichols (CATCH-22, CLOSER, SILKWOOD, PRIMARY COLORS)
George Pal (Damn! How frustrating.... not one of this man's films is on Blu-ray! What a travesty!)
Alan Parker ( PINK FLOYD: THE WALL, SHOOT THE MOON, THE COMMITTMENTS, MISSISSIPPI BURNING)
Sam Peckinpah (BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE, PAT GARRETT, RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY, CROSS OF IRON)
Otto Preminger (EXODUS, ADVISE AND CONSENT, MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM, ANGEL FACE)
Robert Redford (ORDINARY PEOPLE, MILAGRO BEANFIELD WAR, QUIZ SHOW, LEGEND OF BAGGER VANCE)
Carol Reed (FALLEN IDOL, NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH, ODD MAN OUT, A KID FOR TWO FARTHINGS)
Carl Reiner (OH GOD!, MAN WITH TWO BRAINS, ALL OF ME, DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID)
Tony Richardson (TOM JONES, LONELINESS OF THE LONG-DISTANCE RUNNER, THE LOVED ON)
Michael Ritchie (BAD NEW BEARS, SMILE, DOWNHILL RACER, SEMI-TOUGH)
Martin Ritt (HUD, EDGE OF THE CITY, NORMA RAE, SOUNDER)
Mark Robson (BRIDGES AT TOKO-RI, INN OF THE SIXTH HAPPINESS, DADDY'S GONE A-HUNTING)
Herbert Ross (PENNIES FROM HEAVEN 1981, PLAY IT AGAIN SAM, THE GOODBYE GIRL)
Ken Russell (THE DEVILS, WOMEN IN LOVE, THE MUSIC LOVERS)
John Sayles (MATEWAN, SILVER CITY, LONESTAR, BROTHER FROM ANOTHER PLANET, EIGHT MEN OUT)
Fred Schepisi (ICEMAN, THE CHANT OF JIMMIE BLACKSMITH, A CRY N THE DARK)
John Schlesinger (FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD, THE BELIEVERS, DARLING)
Paul Schrader (BLUE COLLAR, AFFLICTION, AUTO-FOCUS)
George Sydney (KISS ME KATE, HARVEY GIRLS, SCARAMOUCHE, ANCHORS AWEIGH)
Robert Siodmak (CRIMSON PIRATE, SON OF DRACULA, CRISS CROSS, THE KILLERS)
Todd Solondz (WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE, HAPPINESS, PALINDROMES)
George Stevens (GUNGA DIN, A PLACE IN THE SUN, SWING TIME, I REMEMBER MAMA)
Robert Stevenson (DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE, OLD YELLER, SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON)
John Sturges (LAST TRAIN FROM GUN HILL, BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK, NEVER SO FEW, HALLELUJAH TRAIL)
Preston Sturges (All titles!!! Where are SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS, THE LADY EVE, MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK?)
Jacques Tati (MON ONCLE, MR. HULOT'S HOLIDAY, JOUR de FETE, TRAFIC)
Jacques Tourneur (NIGHT OF THE DEMON, CAT PEOPLE 1942, OUT OF THE PAST, COMEDY OF TERRORS)
Francois Truffaut (THE WILD CHILD, SMALL CHANGE, CONFIDENTIALLY YOURS, DAY FOR NIGHT...)
Billy Wilder (Still a ways to go: ONE TWO THREE, PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES, ACE IN THE HOLE)
Robert Wise (Ditto.: BODY SNATCHER, THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN, CURSE OF CAT PEOPLE, I WANT TO LIVE!)
Sam Wood (KING'S ROW, A DAY AT THE RACES, A NIGHT AT THE OPERA, GOODBYE MR. CHIPS 1939)
William Wyler (DETECTIVE STORY, FRIENDLY PERSUASION, THE HEIRESS, THE LETTER, ROMAN HOLIDAY)
Peter Yates (THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE, KRULL, MOTHER JUGS AND SPEED)
Fred Zinneman (A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, THE NUN'S STORY, OKLAHOMA!, THE SEARCH)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yeah, poor old Ken Russell, he's got Tommy & that looks like it. I want, The Devils, The Boy Friend & The Music Lovers.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Nice list Dick. Herbert Ross is a favorite of mine and there are way too many good films from him that are missing in action. Seems Warner has no interest in releasing PENNIES FROM HEAVEN----GOODBYE MR CHIPS---GOODBYE GIRL Alan Parker is another favorite director BIRDY---ANGELAS ASHES---MISSISSIPPI BURNING---SHOOT THE MOON all would be welcome on bluray. Robert Mulligan needs more.films on blu----SAME TIME NEXT YEAR---SUMMER OF 42- . More Schlesinger----PACIFIC HEIGHTS---DAY OF THE LOCUST. And more Preminger please. Would like to see THE CARDINAL.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I would LOVE to see Schlesinger's Madame Sousatzka get a Blu-ray release. (Heck, even a dvd release.)

Great list. But depressing.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, almost nothing from Tony Richardson. We have The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner in the UK, but it's probably region locked for America. How about, The Entertainer & Look Back In Anger (a couple of BIG stars there), & my favourite, The Charge Of The Light Brigade, from the bad things I read about the French release it sounds like an uprez, over to you, BFI.I agree with another poster, these lists do make depressing reading

John Doe

Second Unit
Real Name
aki jebivetar
"George Pal (Damn! How frustrating.... not one of this man's films is on Blu-ray! What a travesty!)"

Really? He directed only two movies worth mentioning.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
John Doe said:
"George Pal (Damn! How frustrating.... not one of this man's films is on Blu-ray! What a travesty!)"

Really? He directed only two movies worth mentioning.
All in the eyes of the beholder. In this case, though, I would expand the list to include the films he produced. They are all considered "George Pal" films.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
schan1269 said:
Are we allowed to add?I can think of another 30. And so far a tad American/British/French centric.
List away -- no rules here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks