What's new

Is Paramount supporting dts? (1 Viewer)

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed that on a couple of dvd sites that for the title, "K-19 The Widowmaker", dts was apart of the sound spec. Here are the links that I found to support dts.
www.lasersedge.com
www.digitaleyes.net
Now, one might say that if one site made an error, its just a mistake from that site, but for two sites to make the same error; that seems highly unlikely. But that doesn't mean that it couldn't happen.
I know that I haven't heard any official announcement regarding Paramount supporting dts, but to say the least; it peaked my interest.
Let me know what you guys find out.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Press submit once :)
Paramount doesn't do DTS. K-19 is just an error in the info.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am hearing some confident rumors that a
marriage between Paramount and DTS is around
the corner.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
That is good news to hear Ron. Seeing that Paramount generally does not but a boatload of extras on many discs, maybe they will give us full bit rate DTS where it rally makes a difference.

J

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Hmmmmmm.....
Paramount likes DTS? Hmmmmmmm! The Indiana Jones films are Paramount films...... and Speilberg releases seem to include DTS....... I like the sound of this ;)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Lucas will be making the final call on Indy, however. They are his films.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Or how about a more competently re-released Top Gun,MI. Days Of Thunder,the first 3 Jack Ryan flicks. Or how about Braveheart,Apocalypse Now Redux[ES Discrete]Titanic,Deep Impact,The Relic.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
I don't see Lucas going with DTS, he's basically in bed with Dolby. Star War's was the first movie with Dolby Surround and then Phantom Menace was the first movie with DD-EX. Which the 2 groups worked to create. Plus DTS takes up even more video space and there isn't that big of a difference between DD & DTS; if there is one at all.

Daniel Smith

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I really don't want to see Paramount adding DTS unless they are going to do more two-disc sets. Paramounts tends to throw everything on one disc and adding a DTS track surely means the video will suffer (to some degree).

DanR

Supporting Actor
If the rumor Ron mentioned pans out, then that will be great. I would re-purchase a Titanic Special Edition in DTS for sure. I would also repurchase the Jack Ryan films.

With regard to Indiana Jones, perhaps this also means we will see DTS on those when they're released in 2082. Seriously, how sick is it that HD-DVD is likely to hit in 2004 and we may only just be getting Indiana Jones on DVD by then?

Regards,
Dan

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Indy in DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 would be WONDERFUL!!!!!! Are you listening Spielberg??

Get Mi Casa Studio to do the 6.1 remix from the remastered stems if Skywalker Ranch baulks. In fact Paramount, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to do DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 mixes for most of your discs. New Line has used them and they tend to put out great DTS tracks.

Heck, pretty much all Paramount discs should have DTS and DTS-ES Discrete.

And this idea that DTS can mess up the video, I don't buy it anymore. There are plenty of well authored discs with DTS and DD tracks and the video is still superb.

DanielSmi, speak for yourself.

Dan

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Dolby Stereo was out before Star Wars. Dolby Surround was first used in Return of the Jedi if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks