What's new

Is Paramount supporting dts? (1 Viewer)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Are you only interested in the technology and not the film? I have no idea and only you can say.
I think film as of today can't exists without technology,as general,but surely,the latest soundformats are can be useful tools,I think we can agree with that.As for remixing existing films,I think some of them could also be benifited from a new mix.But as we saw at the time of Terminator and Superman,opinions varied on this.
Well I can live with that.;)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Getting back on topic, and specifically K-19: I've received some promotional materials and have checked the specs. Unless Paramount pulls a Universal/E.T. and adds DTS at the last possible moment, there will not be a DTS track added to K-19:The Widowmaker.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Blade 2 was originally released as a 5.1 track theatrically. Mi Casa, at the behest of the studio (and I've heard the director), remixed the film for DD EX and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 formats. The remixed DTS-ES track was ROCKIN'!!!

Das Boot originally came out as mono and tinny Dolby Stereo. Wolfgang Peterson remixed and re-recorded it for 8 channel discrete surround, with a downmix to 5.1 for theaters not capable of reproducing the full 8 channel track. The results-- SUPERB!

E.T. was remixed and remastered for DD EX and DTS-ES matrix formats (I will not get into the digital "fixing" and censorship that happened to the visuals) and it sounds better than ever.

Adam Barratt, I too am all for a well crafted soundtrack and I don't want something "fixed" if it's great already, but when carefully done a remix can transform a movie into something even better than it was before.

I think you ought to upgrade to something with DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 and DD EX decoding. If you set your room up right, you'll be in for a treat.

Dan

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I was using your quote,remember?
Lewis, I think you need to carefully re-read what I wrote. I am talking about a particular group of people. Only you are claiming I am talking about a much wider group, and only you are lumping yourself in with them.

Dan, I am currently contemplating such a move.

Adam

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Give me a remix with half decent fidelity anyday over a 'theatrically accurate' gutless 2.0 track. If something sounded like crap in the theater, is it so wrong to expect more from a home presentation using todays technology? Geez... next people will be asking for the reel change marks to be left on the print for the dvd.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
RE: Star Wars
There was this interesting article by Giancoli concerning Dolby and Star Wars. If I remember correctly from the article, Star Wars was the first film to use the idea of off screen sound in directions other than left and right. I think that's where the confusion for thinking Star Wars was the first film to use Dolby Surround, Dolby whatever. :)
Paramount using dts? I was wondering when they would catch up to Anchor Bay. :D

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Give me a remix with half decent fidelity anyday over a 'theatrically accurate' gutless 2.0 track. If something sounded like crap in the theater, is it so wrong to expect more from a home presentation using todays technology?
Give me a colorization with half-decent realism any day over a 'theatrically accurate' gutless black and white transfer. If something looked like crap in the theater, is it so wrong to expect more from a home presentation using today's technology?

DJ

David Judah

Screenwriter
Your're still missing the point, Damin. To some of us, changing how many speakers the soundtrack is coming out of, has nothing to do with changing the whole look of the film--it's apples & oranges(again, to some of us). We've gone in circles enough, so can't we just let it go?

DJ

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Because audio is more abstract than visual, that's why it doesn't bother people because they don't even know the difference between theatrical versiona and home version, while the video is easier to spot the difference.

YANG

Screenwriter
On the topic...
To date,the only official DTS video software available in the market(or aiready extinct...) is the TITANIC laserdisc.

Just when DVD turns five yrs old,news breaksout that DTS and PARAMOUNT marriage is happening...at this same time,the BLU-RAY DVD is confirmed...

Don't you guys feel that the news came in too late?

Of course we should feel happy or rejoice in a certain way,but...

NickFoley

Stunt Coordinator
If those rumours ever come to fruiton I'll be happy.
Maybe Paramount should also try and bolster their DVD content at the same time. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks