What's new

Is most of today's music just plain bad? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I find myself exactly echoing the sentiments expressed (to my great resentment at the time) by my father when I was a teenager: "Music today all sounds the same." To me, about eighty percent of "pop" music today is completely interchangable, especially the female vocalists, who all sing totally forgettable songs with hardly any melody and a programmed rhythm that makes me want to puke. God, and so many of these mediocre (at best) singers are actually popular! Argh! I've turned into my father!!!

Seth_S

Second Unit
Dennis Nicholls,

I find Renaissance and early Baroque music to often be a painful experience.

Van Patton

Second Unit
Another great new album by a pioneer of music is Johnny Cash's 'new' album CASH. It is his fourth American venture where he covers different artists songs. It is great. His version of "hurt" by NIN is simply amazing. He also covers songs from such diverse groups as Depeche Mode, U2, Tom Petty, and the Beatles. This man is amazing. It is very sad the shape he is in though.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I dunno, I find there's so much good music out there I can't keep up with it all. Maybe my tastes don't match a lot of HTF members' tastes - I know that as a Brit, I've been exposed to a lot of bands that are relatively unknown in the US. I certainly don't look to the likes of Britney or the Backstreet Boys as a barometer of the music scene - to me, that equates to using Take That as an indicator of music in the 90s, or the Bay City Rollers in the 70s.

Now Playing: "Johnson City" by Saint Low.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Kinda makes you wonder if any of today's songs will be able to cut it to be classified a standard 40 or 50 years from now. No, I'll give them a real break, 25 yrs. from now.They don't call them standards for nothing!

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I just picked up Gov't Mule's album The Deep End Vol. 1 and they are a pretty kick @ss Rock&Roll Band. That album came out in 2001 I think. Also, I picked up Coco Montoya and he is a pretty darn good blues guitar player and singer.

There are good bands out there but you do have to use some effort to find them. I was listening to 30 sec clips of quite a few bands at amazon for a couple hours one night and I am glad I did b/c those two bands are good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks