What's new

Is it really possible to hate water? (1 Viewer)

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I don't care for water either. I still drink it, however, because I'm not fond of all the empty calories and the constant stream of sugar running through me.

I can't stand cold water either. I prefer it room temperature with so much lemon in it, I can't taste the water. And another weird thing about me, is that if I attempt to drink ANY amount of water within 2-3 hrs of waking I'll vomit. I can drink juice, tea, etc with no problems, I just can't handle water. I don't gag or anything. . the water goes down well but comes back up very shortly. Maybe I'm just defective?

ken thompson

Second Unit
It sound like its more common than I thought. Do you guys that dont drink much plain water get frequent headaches?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
if I attempt to drink ANY amount of water within 2-3 hrs of waking I'll vomit. I can drink juice, tea, etc with no problems, I just can't handle water. I don't gag or anything. . the water goes down well but comes back up very shortly. Maybe I'm just defective?
That's EXACTLY what I meant when I said I feel like I'm chocking when I drink water. It almost feels like water just sits in my stomach or throat whereas other liquids (juice, tea, soda, etc.) seem like they get dispersed better (i.e. they go down quicker). I too feel much more bloated when I drink water and yet the same amount of any other liquid doesn't make me feel that way.

Weird huh? At least I now know that I'm not the only one.

p.s. I've actually tested this method out before, One day I tried drinking 3 large glasses of water really fast and I pretty much gagged and almost puked, but the next day, I did the same thing with Iced Tea and had no problems at all. I used to think it has something to do with the sugar, but I can drink a lot more unsweetened tea (i.e. just water and tea bags) over water.

I wonder if there's any scientific explanation? or is it just psychological?

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
It makes sense if you don't like the taste of tap water AND don't like the "plastic" flavor of bottled water.

I personally don't mind bottled water but hate tap water. I can drink tap, but I won't like it. Seltzers and flavored seltzers are good substitutes for soda, I find...

Ron C

Stunt Coordinator
Not all water tastes the same since no one drinks 100% water. It's the minerals in the water that gives it most of its taste. I used to live in Florida and I loved to drink the tap water there. I moved up to New Jersey and I HATE the tap water. I won't drink from any water fountain as I can't stand the taste. Fortunately my office place has a filtered tap water machine, which isn't that bad - certainly beats the water fountain across the hall. I generally drink Poland Springs bottled water when I'm home, but I still miss Florida tap water :frowning: I also can't stand the taste of seltzer or flavored mineral water; I like my water pure of additives

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I can drink juice, tea, etc with no problems, I just can't handle water.
It may be a pH thing. Juices/teas tend to be fairly acidic, which may work better for the particular setup of your gut.:)

It does seem to me that the "water haters" I know have more health issues than the "water drinkers." My limited experience.

Todd

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Mark, at least there are two of us! In the past, people have thought I was crazy when I tell them water makes me nauseated, LOL. I'm not sure what's wrong with me but I've learned to live with it.

Todd, interesting theory. I don't know, though, since my problem only happens in the morning, right after I wake up. Like today, for instance. I had the day off so I lounged around the house for a while and I'd been up watching the news for about 2 hrs before getting some water. I had no problem with it. But any sooner than that and yuck!

I just put it up there with bizarre problems people have. . like my husband who hiccups, only once, after the first swallow of a beverage. Happens every time without fail. Now I think THAT'S pretty crazy ;)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
like my husband who hiccups, only once, after the first swallow of a beverage. Happens every time without fail. Now I think THAT'S pretty crazy
It sounds like he's taking a deep breath before actually drinking. Taking a breath and then trapping it by adding liquid on top of it might be the reason (but I'm no Doctor).

Also, I didn't mention it before, but the Iced Tea (that I can drink more of than water) is the powdered kind that I mix with my own tap water. I just wanted to clear up any confusion that my tap water might be different than the water used in Teas like Snapple (where the water doesn't come from my faucet).

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I once had a friend that said he never drank water. 'Course, he was a hardcore alcoholic, but...

Aside from the additives in the drinks your neighbor is having, all the ones you mentioned are caffeinated. Caffeine is a diarrhetic -- it makes you lose water. That can't be good for to drink nothing but diarrhetics for 20 years, because your thirst is never truly quenched -- you end up being more thirsty than when you began. More importantly, IT'S HARDER THAN HELL ON YOUR KIDNEYS. She should at least switch to decaf sodas.

Also, pure water cleans out your body. Keeping yourself hydrated isn't the only purpose of drinking water.

like my husband who hiccups, only once, after the first swallow of a beverage. Happens every time without fail. Now I think THAT'S pretty crazy
That happens to me, but only when drinking carbonated beverages. It's damn painful. Gl ad to know I'm not the only one. :D

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Really? I find the tap water here to be rancid, for the most part. WAY WAY too much chlorine.
I live in Orlando, too, and I couldn't agree more. I've been in swimming pools that smell less of chlorine than my tap water does. It's horrible. I filter (Pur) all water intended for consumption, that goes for my dog's water too. I've been all over this country and I have never tasted more disgusting water than I have where I live now.

I drink over a gallon of water a day, so the Pur "ultra" filters are getting expensive. I think I'm going to have to go with a whole-house filtering solution pretty soon. Does anyone have recommendations?

Ron C

Stunt Coordinator
Really? I find the tap water here to be rancid, for the most part. WAY WAY too much chlorine. Here in Orlando, it's moderate, but in Ft. Myers at my in-laws, it's really bad.
I lived in the panhandle near Eglin AFB(right between panama city and pensacola). Most of the water came from the aquifer, which doesn't extend into the peninsula. Of course there was much less population/population than south florida. Not sure how the water quality there is anymore.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Water is my favorite drink. I pretty much always have a cup of ice water next to me all day long. I drink 4 or 5 32oz cups of water at work. Then drink 4 or 5 20oz cups at home at night. It's gotta be ice cold though, I can't stand it at room temperature.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I used to "hate" water myself. Basically what I found is I hated tap water. I started drinking Ozarka Natural Spring water. It's great. I switched over from a mainly Coke & tea man to water about 7 years ago. It really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

I get the 2.5 gallon jugs of Ozarka. They come in boxes of two at Sam's for about $4.50. That's pretty darn cheap for about 10 days worth of water. I fill up the 24oz soprt bottles to take to work, and keep a larger one filled in the fridge all the time.

I still drink the occasional Coke, have tea at restaurants, and (of course) endulge in beer on the weekends, but water is now my main drink. Nothing quenches my thirst better. I'm glad I made the switch. I know the health benefits of water have been somewhat exaggerated but still I feel a lot better knowing that I've cut way down on the bad stuff in other drinks.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
That is one thing I miss about living in Washington state. They have great tap water. The tap water in L.A. is horrid -- I won't drink it unfiltered unless I absolutely have to. I just use one of those Brita water filters, and it helps a lot.

Ken CG

Agent
I decided yesterday that I'm gonna start drinking a LOT more water. They say at least 8 8oz glasses a day. That's 4 pounds of water a day. But, since I'm at 250 pounds, I should be drinking more. So, I'm drinking at least 100 OZ of water a day, and I'm gonna work my way up to the recommended amount, until my body adjusts. I'm hoping after a week of this, I'll feel a lot better. Right now, I notice I visit the bathroom a lot. But from what I read on the internet, I will adjust and visit the bathroom less frequently. www.water.com has a calculator on the website that tells you how much water you should be drinking for how much you weigh and how many minutes a day you exercise.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Ken, I'd suggest stocking up on the cheapest bottled water that you can find. I work for Pepsi Cola so I used to live off of carbonated drinks. A few months ago I decided to give that stuff up so I switched to water. I haven't been to water.com but don't be fooled, the stuff runs straight thru you but thats what it is supposed to do.
Whenever you're thirsty just chug a bottle of water. After a while you won't even miss whatever it was that you used to drink. I've all but eliminated c&c from my diet, that's carbs and carbonated drinks. The result is a return to the figure I had when I graduated high school ten years ago :)

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I've heard before that some people can't stomach plain water first thing in the morning, for whatever reason. I have no problem with it. I can't stand ice cold anything, so I drink my 2 liters a day at room tempature. It gets abosrbed by the body faster that way since it doesn't require the time or energy to heat it up to body tempature.

Water is a wonderful thing. There are a lot of benefits to drinking water besides just hydration:

* Helps the digestive system run better
* Lubricates the joints
* Allows the mind to think clearer and faster
* Helps to keep weight down
* Helps reduce 'hunger' pains

Those are just off the top of my head. I've heard many times that what many people mistake for hunger is actually dehydration.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I don't like drinking water out of a cup, but from a bottle it's fine. I don't know why. Must be psychological.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks