What's new

Is it just me or... (1 Viewer)

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Does LCD seem to be a more viable and future ready option for HD? Or, are many of the "powers that be", pushing harder for LCD to be the future of television? They seem to be everywhere you look in the stores.
I am looking pretty hard at upgrading to 1080p DLP in the near future, (possibly with tax refunds this coming year...). I have chosen DLP based mostly on input here and as much research as I could. I also, in viewing, mostly at B&M stores, LIKE the look of DLP much better. (I have seen SDE, in LCD's, albeit I was a little close, but I am afraid I would always know it was there.)
Right now I have a Philips 30pw850h CRT HD, I watch mostly SD Dish network, but the family watches a lot of movies. I am pretty happy with it, but it is 480p max, and I would like to move up to a larger screen. (I should have made the jump when I bought this only a year ago)
As always, all input is greatly appreciated.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'm sold on them..... The newest Sony LCD RP's are pretty darn SDE free. But even the lowly 61" Panasonic is really a great display and the SDE is not visable to me even at under 8' from it.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Thanks John,
All the Panny DLP's I have found have been 720...The 61 incher here Is still 3500 bucks. Which is high for a 720 display.
What attracts you to LCD more than DLP?? Is the dithering not a factor in LCD's? Is a properly calibrated DLP even going to have a dithering problem?
I like the idea that SONY is presenting in the SXRD, but they are a bit expensive. I have also not had great luck with SONY in the past. (not their TV's, but...)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The newest Sony's aren't RP LCDs at all, strictly speaking. SXRD is Sony's implementation of Liquid Crystal on Silicon (LCoS) JVC's HD-ILA sets are based on the smae underlying technology. (They've recently introduced a couple of 1080p sets. I have the 720p version of their 56" set and from six feet away it looks damned good on most SD material - unless my cable company is screwing up - stunning on HD, and my DVDs have never looked better.)

LCD of all stripes is improving in all the areas that it normally gets knocked for (inlcuding black level and screen door effect, etc.) and 3 chip LCoS RP sets in particular have better blacks than either LCD flat panel or standard LCD RP. I have a feeling DLP and LCD RP are going to get aqueezed in the next couple of years as production costs for flat-panels comes down and the picture quality improves. Improvements in manufacturing and productions yields will see prices for plasma screens come down, while similar improvements on the LCD side make will make larger LCD panels cheaper and better. Microdisplays (LCD, LCoS and DLP) currently occupy a niche in between the largest current LCDs and the smallest plasmas. (Because they offer the best price-peformance mix - better PQ than LCD in some respects, no burn-in, less power consumption than plasma. CRT RPTV is still a very good choice if you have the room and/or the weight isn't a problem, but the handewriting is clearly on the wall, and manufacturers will certainly phase those sets out in the next couple of years.)

For right now microdisplays are very viable. I ended up chosing LCoS over DLP despite having gone in intending to buy a DLP set based on my research. For a variety of reasons I found LCoS to be the best choice, but couldn't justify the exrta cost or the wait for the 1080p sets. In a few years if I absolutely, positively have to have one I'll probably end up with a LCD or Plasma flat-panel and move the JVC to the home office.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks