What's new

Is Apple About to Make Sam Very Happy?? (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Originally Posted by Craig S

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new iMacs. I have one of the original Intel iMacs and it's getting a little creaky, especially because it's capped at 2 GB RAM. I'm ready for an upgrade. Hoping for an upper-end quad-core model - that would have me pulling out the plastic on launch day.
Yep, my first gen core duo Intel iMac is starting feel a bit long in the tooth. The 2 GB RAM limit sucks, especially when I'm working in Logic Pro. Can't wait to see what Apple has in store for the iMac line.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I bought an iMac three months ago. So I hope the new ones are hot pink and cost twice what the current ones do... So, uh, what's to be done with the iMac besides incrementalism? SD slot would be nice; watching my wife use her digital camera, I don't see that as a big deal either way. More RAM. Faster CPU. Best GPU. Moore's Law, blah blah. Hey, here's a crazy idea: add vertical adjustment to the "monitor" stand. I'm of the "who cares" camp for Blu-Ray in computers, but not having it seems to do nothing for Apple's salespitch. So add it already.

Keyboard: I wish Apple would break form and create a good ergo keyboard. I'd like to go Bluetooth for my keyboard and mouse on my laptop, but there's nothing to my taste in BT.

Mouse: I love multi-function mice, and Logitech's MX Revolution with 7-some buttons is my favorite. If Apple revolutionizes mice with a new control scheme that exceeds the Revolution, I'll buy it (budget allowing).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
OK, well I FINALLY got Win7 working with ALL the drivers so now everything looks perfect on my MBP, all my apps on both OSes are set right and configured perfectly the way I want them.... so I guarantee there will be new lappys next week with Blu just to torment me. =)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Question...

Is the rumor that these new (I presume) iMacs with
Blu-ray drives will have RECORDING capability or
just READ?

If it is just READ ability then I could care less about
BD on a Mac.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

If it is just READ ability then I could care less about
BD on a Mac.
That begs the question, what would make you care less about BD on a Mac? ;)

BD playing capability makes the most sense on machines that are the most likely to be attached to a TV. So hopefully when/if BD does come it will be available on the Mini and laptops as well as the iMacs.

One thing occurred to me the other day, the managed copy spec for BD is finally sorted out correct? If so, the idea of new AppleTV hardware that would include a BD drive would be very interesting. Wouldn't it be great if we could buy an updated AppleTV with a BD drive that would let you pop in a BD disk and have it ripped to the ATV or to iTunes on a linked Mac? I don't think it will happen but I would be first in line for such an ATV if it did.

-KeithP

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Keith Plucker

Wouldn't it be great if we could buy an updated AppleTV with a BD drive that would let you pop in a BD disk and have it ripped to the ATV or to iTunes on a linked Mac? I don't think it will happen but I would be first in line for such an ATV if it did.

-KeithP
I'd be #2, after you. I don't see it happening; assuming DMCA issues are resolved it seems contrary to Apple's strategy.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If you can't record on the format, then the addition of a BD
player to a Mac is not something I would jump through hoops
to buy.

It's not like a lot of people want to watch movies on their
desktop. As for their laptop, I am not certain that the smaller
screen will convey the improved playback quality the format
has to offer. I have seen a portable BD player (soon to be
reviewed on this forum) and I wasn't overly impressed with
the picture quality to the point that I felt I needed to replace
my portable DVD player.

Let's face it --- those of us who want BD on a Mac want it
for storage purposes and to be able to transfer our HD
camcorder content on a platform that will not degrade its
quality.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
October 13th has come and gone.

So....uhm.....(clearing throat).....nothing.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I don't think anyone doubts the iMac/Mini refresh is coming before the holidays. The exact date (and the nature of the refresh) is the big question.

It may be timed to try and rain on the Windows 7 parade.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
KEEP HOPE ALIVE~~~

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/15/rumors_swirl_over_apples_imac_blu_ray_quad_core_plans.html

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2009/10/15/future-mac-pro-apple-to-enjoy-short-term-exclusive-use-of-future-xeon-cpu

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov

Apple's earnings call is Monday. I predict they will release the new Macs the next day, Tuesday.
Fake Steve is claiming tomorrow also. Or maybe he just read my post ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Must not be annoyed at having bought new iMac three months ago. Serenity now...serenity now...

Look forward to checking out Apple's site to learn about the new gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks