What's new

A Few Words About A few words about…™ Emma – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I know it's oh-so-chic to bash Gwyneth, but a few years back I viewed several of the versions that were currently available, and recall thinking that version was actually pretty good.

For some reason, I tend to focus on the "Badly done, Emma!" scene when Emma is chastised for being shallow and cruel as one of the more obvious examples of how good the particular adaptation is.
I would never say it's terrible, as there are some great actors and performances on display there [Jeremy Northam, Alan Cumming, Ewan McGregor, Greta Scacchi, Juliet Stevenson], but even with that particular scene, Anya Taylor-Joy's performance is superior. It also has that Miramax 90s feel, which can make period pieces appear dated.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I would never say it's terrible, as there are some great actors and performances on display there [Jeremy Northam, Alan Cumming, Ewan McGregor, Greta Scacchi, Juliet Stevenson], but even with that particular scene, Anya Taylor-Joy's performance is superior. It also has that Miramax 90s feel, which can make period pieces appear dated.
Ms Taylor-Joy is a delight.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
It's funny how the Miramax "Emma" set in the 1810's, feels a lot more 90's today than "Clueless" which is actually set in the 90's.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I know it's oh-so-chic to bash Gwyneth, but a few years back I viewed several of the versions that were currently available, and recall thinking that version was actually pretty good.

For some reason, I tend to focus on the "Badly done, Emma!" scene when Emma is chastised for being shallow and cruel as one of the more obvious examples of how good the particular adaptation is.

Whatever damage her non-cinematic life/career has done to her reputation, Paltrow could act.

The Criterion LD of "Se7en" had a version of the diner scene that focused solely on Paltrow, and she put on a master class via that performance.

Wish I still had the LD. I've looked for that clip online and have failed, and it never made another home video release as far as I know! :huh:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this. I love literary adaptations.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I watched Emma today on the 4K stream. Impeccably done film, with plenty of sarcastic humor and jabs at British society. I'll have to watch it again to decide how good of an adaptation it is. It's wonderful to watch, though. I laughed more times than I can count.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks