Is a progressive scan DVD player worth it for a 32" TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

My dad is going to by either a 32" Wega XBR or the 32" Panasonic Tau.
    Would the picture from a progressive scan player be noticably different than an interlaced one?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

2. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

If those TV's accept a progressive scan signal, then there might be a slight improvement, depending on the type of progressive scan DVD player you get.
    If those sets are 'digital' (which I believe they are), then they include a built-in line doubler, which may or may not have 3-2 pulldown detection. I know the newest Sony's with the new DRC have 3-2 detection, which will make it very hard to see any difference from a good progresive scan player.
    The benifit of having the DVD player de-interlace, is that it's done in the digital domain, without any D/A, A/D conversions, which can cause slight loss of resolution.
    Progressive players are getting cheap these days, so I'd see no good reason (except to save a few bucks) to not get a progressive player over an interlaced one.
    -Ryan
    ------------------

3. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Yes, they do accept a progressive signal. I'm just wondering with a less than 32" viewable area, if the difference will be big.
    Thanks for the info!
    Jeff

4. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

At around CDN$350, a progressive scan player like the Panny RP-56 is tough to beat. Or maybe the JVC...forgot what the comparable model is...60?
    Dave

5. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

On a 32" or smaller I think the difference will be slightly to moderately noticeable depending on source and material. But you may or may not see a difference. The quality will be there, but will your eyes see it, tough call.
    Now if you were to move up to a 35" or a 16:9 then YES I believe you would see a considerable difference.
    Can you visit a B&M and get a demonstration of Progressive vs. non-progressive on your prospective TV?
    Progressive really benefits bigger TV's where scan lines are more noticeable.
    But since the 32" your looking at has digital and accepts progressive, then I think you should absolutely spend the extra $100 or $ 150 and get a Progressive DVD player!
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

6. Tan_U

Tan_U Stunt Coordinator

I have a 32HS20 which is very close to the 32XBR4xx, both have DRC and 3-2 pull down, and I have the Panasonic RP56 progressive DVD player. To tell you the truth It's very hard to see a difference between interlaced and progressive unless you look at the screen REALLY REALLY close.
    I don't know about the Panasonic TAU though.

7. Antoine Peltier

What are the best deals in TVs that provide HDTV and Progressive Scan compatability?