What's new

Is a progressive scan DVD player worth it for a 32" TV? (1 Viewer)

Jeff

Supporting Actor
My dad is going to by either a 32" Wega XBR or the 32" Panasonic Tau.
Would the picture from a progressive scan player be noticably different than an interlaced one?
Thanks,
Jeff

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
If those TV's accept a progressive scan signal, then there might be a slight improvement, depending on the type of progressive scan DVD player you get.
If those sets are 'digital' (which I believe they are), then they include a built-in line doubler, which may or may not have 3-2 pulldown detection. I know the newest Sony's with the new DRC have 3-2 detection, which will make it very hard to see any difference from a good progresive scan player.
The benifit of having the DVD player de-interlace, is that it's done in the digital domain, without any D/A, A/D conversions, which can cause slight loss of resolution.
Progressive players are getting cheap these days, so I'd see no good reason (except to save a few bucks) to not get a progressive player over an interlaced one.
-Ryan
------------------

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Yes, they do accept a progressive signal. I'm just wondering with a less than 32" viewable area, if the difference will be big.
Thanks for the info!
Jeff

DavidY

Supporting Actor
At around CDN$350, a progressive scan player like the Panny RP-56 is tough to beat. Or maybe the JVC...forgot what the comparable model is...60?
Dave

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
On a 32" or smaller I think the difference will be slightly to moderately noticeable depending on source and material. But you may or may not see a difference. The quality will be there, but will your eyes see it, tough call.
Now if you were to move up to a 35" or a 16:9 then YES I believe you would see a considerable difference.
Can you visit a B&M and get a demonstration of Progressive vs. non-progressive on your prospective TV?
Progressive really benefits bigger TV's where scan lines are more noticeable.
But since the 32" your looking at has digital and accepts progressive, then I think you should absolutely spend the extra $100 or $ 150 and get a Progressive DVD player!
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Tan_U

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 32HS20 which is very close to the 32XBR4xx, both have DRC and 3-2 pull down, and I have the Panasonic RP56 progressive DVD player. To tell you the truth It's very hard to see a difference between interlaced and progressive unless you look at the screen REALLY REALLY close.
I don't know about the Panasonic TAU though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks