What's new

Is a 1.7ghz celeron faster than a 700mhz P3? (1 Viewer)

Brian Price

Stunt Coordinator
Currently have a P3 processor on a Dell that is a few years old. I have seen ads recently which tout Celerons at 1.7 or 2 ghz for $399. Would these models actually be faster than by P3 700mhz? I do a lot of gaming and net surfing. Would the difference be noticeable? I have win98 and I was thinking of upgrading to WinXP which is $100 so I'm thinking I may be better off just buying one of the celerons. I don't need a monitor, etc. I could transfer my cd burner, dvd drive, Nvidia card, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi Brian do you plan to use the motherboard too or get a new one?? The price sounds awfully HIGH for those celerons I just bought a P4 2.4 ghz for $190 at googlegear heres the link http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Home.jsp
your probally gonna have to upgrade case, motherboard,processor and memory. I just spent $492 getting those same items and it is a killer setup and at a reasonable price as I intend to use the old cd rom and hard drive, dvd drive!!
you may not have to go that far of an upgrade but I would consider it. and on googlegear they had the celeron 2.0 ghz $90.00 but they only run at 400 mhz bus speed and 128 kb cache and there socket 478. your MB I believe is a socket 370 or Slot 1 you would have to look in your motherboard book to find out for sure. just my 2 cents!! LTR

Brian E

Screenwriter
Hi Brian do you plan to use the motherboard too or get a new one?? The price sounds awfully HIGH for those celerons
I'm pretty sure he's talking about a complete system, not just a CPU.

Brian, can you post the specs of what you're looking at? A $300-$400 system isn't going to have much in the way of a graphics card if you're a big gamer.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I'd agree with Brian, might want to save up more money and getting something with more horsepower...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks