What's new

Ipod's Dirty Secret video (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Sure.

To be honest, with the right cable you could hook any sound producing device to your home stereo (i've wired my cellphone into my audio system a couple times). The audio out on the IPOD to a Stereo 1/8th to Dual RCA cable, into the inputs on the stereo.

-V

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
Cool, I think an Ipod may be in the works for this home. My wife has been going nuts on iTMS buying singles.

Thanks for the help Vince!

Edit: A little searching on the Apple website quickly reveals adapter for home and car.

Now the only question remaining - What color?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

The iPod itself has the headphone out which can be used as Vince described. There is also a line-out available on the dock that bypasses the iPod's internal amplifier. Finally, as you've probably found, there are other options (like AirTunes).

A great resource for you: www.ipodlounge.com

Color? Thinking Mini?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I saw a reports (on the "on Demand" channel) about the air port and they basically said it was pretty bad. They said it kept losing the signal (even at closer ranges) and the remote control was poor in performance.

Also, I tried hooking my line out (on the base) to my HT and while it was nice to have all that music at my disposale, these MP3's and MP4's are really best suited for computer speaker, car stereos, and headphones. Once you get into HT setups, the lower quality just sounded bad.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
If we're collecting anecdotes, the AirPort Express and AirTunes work fine for me. (What remote control are they talking about?)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

Of course, you could encode in a lossless format which ought to be transparent c/w Redbook CD, if .mp3, .aac and the other compressed formats aren't doing the trick.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
You can encode lossless and use the digital output on the AirPort Express to your stereo. That would be "identical" to Redbook (jitter, bit-perfect audio extraction, blah blah blah)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
In a few months there is going to be a 60GB iPod, which will be the one to compare. Indeed as becomes clear from later in the thread the 40gig Rio is some retailer's mod: Rio only has a 20GB model, meanwhile Apple has a had a 40GB for over a year.

My points stands -- if you compare Apples to apples, especially on higher end models of Macs or iPods, not only are Apple's prices highly competitive, often a direct comparison isn't even possible as you can't find an equivalent model to compare to.

So far as gapless playback, merging tracks in iTunes on import works fine. Yes, it should happen automatically, and hopefully they'll fix it in a future release. AFAIK, it is a problem with the MP3 & AAC standards which don't support it.

Ted

P.S. I am fascinated by the regional nature of Apple's (and the iPod's) success. I was in the Durham, NC Apple store on a recent weekend, located in a bustling, upscale shopping mall and there were maybe 2 or 3 customers in the entire store. During my week in NC, I only spotted iPods on people I knew were just visiting.

This past Saturday I was in Apple's Soho (NYC) store helping a friend buy a PowerBook -- the place was beyond mobbed -- you'd need to go to a rock concert to find a crowd like that. HUGE lines for both the downstairs and upstairs registers, merchandise of every description flying off the shelves, people surrounding every shelf of merchandise like it was the King Tut exhibit... On the streets of NYC, iPod earbuds are visible EVERYWHERE, constantly.

It can't be a question of college town (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill have three universities), or income (though admittedly NYC has more wealth, but the RD area ain't exactly poor).

Go figure: Blue state/Red state? North/South? Non-conformist/conformist? I'd love to hear some theories.

T.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Similar in LA: The apple store isn't completely mobbed, but the number of IPODs seen on any given day is incredible.

Where as in ohio, when i carried mine, I would mostly get people asking: "Is that an Mp-3eee player thingee?" They seemed sketchy on the idea of an MP3 player at all, let alone being choosy between brands...

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Trends set and running in LA & NY versus that of in Raleigh/Durham and Ohio? Hmmm, go figure. ;)

Seriously, until you spend significant time in the entire spectrum of city sizes, from a coastal megalopolis to a landlocked podunk in WI, you cannot get a feel for the vastness of the culture clash pan-america style.

Ted touched upon one reason (income) which fuels this great divide. Also, homogeneity->conformity which does not afflict the coasts as much as it does in the midwest & bible belt.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The thing that kills me is, I bought my 40GB Creative Jukebox over 3 years ago.

In fact, I ordered it from Amazon.com and I just checked my records. I ordered it on Jan 14, 2001. :eek:

All this time, I was ready to upgrade it to something bigger, but had to settle with another 40GB player. :thumbsdown: As much as I like the iPod, I wished they had a bigger model. 40 GB is filling up fast!

I mean, I can't believe that it's been over 3 years (almost going on 4) and I can't get a (decent) bigger player!

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I believe Rio has a 40gig model coming out later this year (WITH gapless playback of course :) ) called the Chroma.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

According to Toshiba, Apple has already purchased their 60GB micro-drives. I suspect that Apple didn't release the a 60GB 4th gen. iPod because they didn't want a repeat of the iPod mini supply fiasco. They are probably stockpiling 60GB drives and will release a 60GB iPod as soon as they have a good supply on hand. My best bet is they'll do it at the same time HP releases the hPod.

I'm with you -- I could sure use a 60GB iPod.

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks