What's new

iPhone - so...what's the deal? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jean,

You Dog!

Tell you what....I'm interested, but going to wait for other guinea pigs
to try it on their phones first. I'll do mine based on those results.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Yeah, I would hold off too. I'd be worried that Apple would get upset because it could put a dent in their business model and do a firmware update that would either clear the memory, cause some issue or brick the phone because it was modified. Kind of like the modded Xbox's that go on Xbox Live and get banned for life. But then again, maybe I'm over-estimating the possibilities of Apple's potential retribution.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Just got mine from the Soho Apple Store -- there were some boxes stacked behind the registers. Too bad I was away during the madness, and missed opening day ;)

Anyway -- I'll unpack it when I get home tonight.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike

Yup.

The instructions are pretty easy to follow. I would just warn ANYONE doing this that it might be Bad for your phone if something goes wrong. On the positive side, people with messed up phones have successfully simply restored them.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Man, AT&T is truly awful.

I started the online activation process last night, got e-mail saying my address couldn't be verified. Called their customer service -- was told that they their computer system for NYC hadn't been working since Saturday(!) and after spending an hour+ mostly listening to their insipid on-hold music, was assured that the number transfer and activation were complete. "Waiting for AT&T activation" and No Service on the iPhone. They tell me -- just wait a couple of hours. This morning -- still No Service. Back to AT&T C.S., more on-hold music (mercifully shorter), bla-bla, power cycle the phone, still Waiting for AT&T activation" and No Service. Now they tell me it may take up to 24 hours as I'm transferring a number.

If I call my cell number from the land line -- busy signal. Anyway, I guess I have to wait until tonight before I have to deal with those #%$#$!! kind people from AT&T again...

Ted

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I feel isolated all right :frowning:

Still no joy -- I'm on the phone with AT&T right now. At least th on hold music is better.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Well, finally this morning, 36 hours and three long phone calls to AT&T CS later, I got service. Not a good experience, but hopefully I won't have to deal with AT&T CS again for a good long while.

The iPhone itself is great. Three things in dire need of improvement:

1) Ability to sync different things from different computers and to move music, etc. manually: this for me is a huge issue as I don't have music on my PowerBook which I used to sync contacts/e-mail with, and I don't have e-mail/contacts on my MacMini HTPC where all the Music/Video is. Currently only Podcasts can be synced separately.

Apple, fix this NOW please. There is no reason on Earth why the iPhone can't be as flexible as an iPod, including manual updating of Music/Video.

The only thing I was able to sync separately were Podcasts.

2) Ability to read/write e-mail in landscape mode. This is crucial also -- for me e-mails, when I zoom them in enough to make them readable I have to keep moving them left/right to see the entire text.

3) Push e-mail from .Mac -- come on, don't make your paying customers second class citizens! (Right now push is available from Yahoo only).

Also: Ability to use the iPhone as a modem (tethered to a Mac either via bluetooth or the USB cable). It would be huge for travelers.

Also: iChat support, including voice.

EDIT: Added the third reason which I somehow forgot while typing :rolleyes

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
anyone have a safari crashing problem?
It closes when I usethe forum menu on htf.

and hpwardforum closes it everytime.

also if I use safari more then a few minutes .

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Hasn't happened to me yet -- but I don't do all that much web browsing -- in WiFi areas I usually have a computer around.

OTOH, Safari 3 Beta crashes on me regularly. (I keep using it though, because it has a couple of huge improvements over Safari 2). Presumably the iPhone browser is based on Safari 3(???).

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

You can set this behaviour in the program called Image Capture that should be in your Applications folder -- run it and go into the preferences to set what happens when a camera is connected or when a scanner is turned on.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

did the trick.
thanks
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks