What's new

iPhone - so...what's the deal? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
also right as you hit thepost message button iPhone may crash and the post you just typed dissapears.

That just happened to me.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i tried that a few months ago.
someone over at howardforums posted that.

i couldnt get it to work for some reason

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
this may work easier now.

Over on howardforums.com they are aging the iTunes 7.5 and iPhone 1.1.2
upgrades are allowing this to go through.

Also they seem to think a fix will be coming quickly to stop these free r-tones from working.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Anyone upgrade to 1.1.3 yet? I'm still at work. Can't wait to go home. :)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK

I did. Everything seemed okay after installation, but when I powered it down and turned it back on, the phone was no longer activated. Had to go through the abbreviated activation process through iTunes again, but it seems fine now. The location feature seems to work pretty well...narrowed my location to about a three block radius. Rearranged my home screen icons. Not much else yet.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I had a jailbroken phone 1.1.1

The update went perfectly without bricking the phone.

I just now need to await a 1.1.3 jailbreak.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I am really looking forward to this update. It adds and tweaks some features that I will find quite useful. I was really missing the SMS to multiple recipients from my old phone. I hope to get my MacBook up to speed so that I can update by the end of the week. I'm glad to know that the updates seem to be going smoothly.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I just downloaded the 1.1.3 update to my iPhone and it's *fabulous*! My favorite new feature is the ability to create multiple Home Screen pages combined with the ability to move the icons around on the pages.

I've already created an icon/button to the new "iPhone aware" Google Home Page. BTW, the Google Home Page is now even more optimized for the iPhone's display. For example when reading Gmail via the option on the Google Home Page (as opposed to the iPhone's native Gmail client) you can press a new Menu back button which takes you to a page that depicts the Gmail mail folders as iPhone "row options".

The new "Find Location" button on the integrated Google MAPS function is very nice. Pressing the button zooms in on the map/satellite view and provides a circle/radius depicting your current location on the map. You can then "drop a pin" into the area outlined by the circle on the map and drag the pin to an area on the map closer to your actual location. You can also easily switch views to Map, satellite, or a combination of the two. Great Stuff!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so i can t figure out if there is a way to edit the name of the new icon names.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I finally updated. Went very smoothly. I did notice a message stating "iPhone activated." I'm really digging it. Too bad we didn't get copy/paste or MMS. Maybe next update?

Btw, has anyone checked out iRovr? Its a social networking web app for the iPhone. Its pretty cool, and everyone is very friendly. I'm on there as iVlad.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I have an ITouch but upgraded to 1.1.3 and love all the new features.
I've been toying around with the Google map features.

I'm trying to sign in my hotmail.com account to the mail section but it doesn't locate it. I guess I may have to get a Yahoo e-mail account.

I've also upgraded to the new Itunes so I can get rentals and I cant see the rental store

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Hotmail won't run through the native iPhone/iTouch email client.

You have several options:
1. You can use Mobile Hotmail via Safari (And, of course, you can now create an icon on your Home Page that will take you right to it!)
2. You can pay $19.95/year to Microsoft to get a Premium Hotmail Account. This will allow you to forward your Hotmail to your Google Gmail account (or Yahoo).
3. You can run your Hotmail account through IzyMail - WebMail in your Inbox

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Might of already been mentioned but a wonderfully welcome feature was added to iTunes 7.6 that isn't in the official update list: You can now MANUALLY manage music on an iPhone.

Thank God...

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Yeah ... I just gave this a try and it's very nice! You can now drag a song or a playlist (or a video!) into the iTunes 7.6 iPhone "Tree list view" icon, and an immediate sync takes place. The already loaded songs and/or playlists on the iPhone are unaffected by the sync.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

1. Launch the new iTunes 7.6.
2. Expand the iPhone icon in the "Tree List" view.
3. On the iPhone Device Summary TAB, check the new option:
Manually manage music and videos.

You can now drag and drop songs, playlists, and videos to the iPhone Device icon (just like you can with an iPod)!

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Ended up having some problems last night with the manually managing music. Since I checked the manual box, I unchecked the sync podcasts tab on the phone thinking I would just manually be dragging them over. But it seems like it wouldn't accept my dragging of my Podcast videos. Nothing would transfer when I dragged it.

On the main option page there is that "Only sycn checked items" box, which I had used before to control what show episodes get synced. When I switched the phone to manual mode, I unchecked that box. I never could get anything to drag over.

In the end I rechecked that box to sync only checked items and put my podcasts back to sync vis checkboxes. But the odd thing was when I sycned all my Podcasts videos appeared instantly back on the phone as they were, it didn't reload them or anything. It's like they were already there. Not sure what's going on...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
oh right.

i guess i took it to mean that i could do manual manage,
literally right on the iphone.
thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks