What's new

iOS 13 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
For the umpteenth time, I failed to listen to my gut instinct and decided to install a beta operating system on my iPhone.

Oh, I have done this many times in years past -- all around this time of year -- shortly after the beta has been made available for developers.

Each time I have regretted my actions due to the huge amount of bugs I had to deal with.

This time seems to be different...

This morning I installed Beta 2 of iOS 13 into my iPhone. I decided to do so after reading many positive reports from others who had been using the beta for the past few days.

Been using the new operating system for most of the day, and thus far I am impressed with its performance.

The dark mode is impressive. Mail looks fantastic.

Webpages, under Safari also look great thanks to better formatting.

What really impressed me the most was Apple CarPlay. I love the new interface. For the first time, my music plays with related cover art. Additionally, there is so much information showing on the main screen at once, and with a single tap, you can easily access navigation, phone or iTunes.

The only bugs I have seen thus far under Beta 2 is that you can't send IMs to anyone who doesn't have an iPhone.

I may install the beta on my iPad next being that it seems to be running very stable at this point.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve heard the initial beta was very unstable, especially compared to 2018. The second beta noticeabley improved. Some speculation that the third beta might be the public beta. And the recurrent recommendation that non-developers wait for the public beta, if they want to risk beta software.

I don’t use the beta, so have no personal experience.

Glad it’s working for you, Ron! Have fun. Take necessary precautions to protect against data loss or iOS failures in critical use.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I’ve heard the initial beta was very unstable, especially compared to 2018. The second beta noticeabley improved. Some speculation that the third beta might be the public beta. And the recurrent recommendation that non-developers wait for the public beta, if they want to risk beta software.

I don’t use the beta, so have no personal experience.

Glad it’s working for you, Ron! Have fun. Take necessary precautions to protect against data loss or iOS failures in critical use.

Thanks Dave. Everything is backed up

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Working great for me. I have betas on my MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone. All working very well.

However, your mileage may vary.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m more tempted to try the betas than I have before. But I can’t risk having a beta iOS kill my iPhone while out of town on business, or my iPad while stuck in a metal tube at 30,000 feet. :)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
The thing to remember about betas - it isn't just about them being buggy, etc. It's that apps you currently use might not work with the new software yet. The OS might work fine but the apps you rely on may not...

C3C13295-D600-4945-8795-660AC8058F34.jpeg

Also, what is rock solid and working on this release might not be the same way on the next release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Can you unenroll your device from the beta program (or leave the beta program all together) then do a factory restore of it?

You can. It's pretty involved in different scenarios given Catalina or iOS 13.

I looked into downgrading my iOS (iPhone) device when I started having Instant Messaging issues, but after doing a Google search on the procedure, it just looked too tedious of a process to consider.

I am on the current beta and on my iPhone, I am still having issues with Instant Messaging. I can only IM to others that have an iPhone. Outside of that, I cannot send a message (though I can receive one)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There’s also an implied level of stability in a public beta that’s not in a developer beta. We know they’re basically the same builds, but to normal users “public beta” means “safe, but some stuff might work weird"

So by putting out unstable developer betas and calling them public betas, they’re doing a big disservice

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks