What's new

What Apple Watch and iPhone apps do you use for exercise? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What Apple Watch app(s) do you use for tracking your running (and maybe cycling)? If Nike Run Club exported route maps to Apple Activity, I would be perfect. In fact, I'd pay money to get that. But that's not an option AFAIK.

• Running
    • Apple Workout: I found it does splits and rolling average (have to change settings in the iPhone Watch app. It pings me every mile (user settable). And it saves the maps in the iPhone Activity app.
    • Nike Run Club: Best running app I've tried so far. Its workout review feature is awesome, letting you see pace and heart rate over your map is super amazing. Its Watch app is pretty solid, and has the best voice status for milestones. And it's free and doesn't bug you to pay money. But it doesn't export the route map summary to Apple Activity, which is my go-to look for my workouts, and that's a deal killer.
    • RunKeeper Pro: It's ok. The app suffers from "do all things for all people" making it less focused and cleanly designed. But the workout review is good, and second to NRC so far. The Watch app is fine, but its voice updates on milestones are terrible and stop playback of what I'm listening to. It is random about exporting its map to Activity, under 50% success rate.
      Adidas Runtastic: Solid Watch app. Better voice milestones than Runkeeper. It exports routes to Activity. But the iPhone app is not good: the workout review tool is pretty useless and the app frequently bugs me to pay money for marginal "upgrades".
    • Strava: My reaction so far is its terrible, because it doesn't export anything to the Apple Activity app. Maybe Strava is for hardcore workout people who live in Strava and don't care about Apple Activity? For my interests, it's worst of class and immediately deleted after first use.
  • Biking
    • Runtastic: I've done a quick check, and it looks like Adidas Runtastic is the best option for simply having speedometer view during a leisurely ride.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I use the Apple Workout through Activity when I actually get a chance to exercise nowadays (which isn’t very often). It does everything I need it to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks