What's new

iPhone - so...what's the deal? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i like the new ability to add icons to the home page.

now if only sites would move their main logo further down away from the top of the site and into the middle of the page so we can take the screen shot without other stuff showing on the icon.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yep.
thats why i hope that sites that dont have web clip settings wold at least move the logo down away from the tops or corners and away from the ads so i can make the icon myself by zooming to the logo.

i tried with htf but its too close to the corner and too close to the giant add
on the htf page i saved.
thansk for the link to other sites.

i've seen that list at howard forums, and the only site i would use is the imdb but that actual link is not to imdb.com but to an imdb search site.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This historic thread seemed the one resurrect. If you like such things, DaringFireball.net is calling out all those who predicted the iPhone to be all hype and massive failure.

I was trying to remember what I expected. Before there was any iPhone, before I even knew of the rumors, I was talking with a coworker about whether there could be a good multi-function, touchscreen iPod. I said no; the loss of hardbuttons would be too detrimental and that type of convergence didn't make sense and would be a jack of all, master of none problem.

I was wrong, it seems. Though I'll assert that a dedicated iPod with hard buttons is still superior to any touch-screen iPod. (by the same reasoning, I bought universal remotes with buttons, and not all-touch screen remotes).

As for the iPhone, I took it as 50/50. I figured Apple could work its magic, or it could be a total bust, but it was fundamentally unpredictable.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
John Gruber's stuff on Daring Fireball is hilarious. I had the same view as you on a touch screen iPod, but having an (original) iPhone and a iPod Classic, I can tell you that it is no contest -- the full screen touch interface is, far, far superior.

I have a Denon remote with no real buttons that stinks royally. The iPhone's touch screen might as well be from another planet it is that much better. I think that most of us who experienced bad touch screens be they ATMs, remotes, etc. were weary of them, but the iPhone though not perfect bears no relation to them and handily beats fixed keys.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For me, it's not bad UI but being able to control things without looking at the remote. So, a basic question: How do you change volume, skip songs, or rwd/ffd without looking at the iPod? When I'm driving or mowing the lawn, the physical wheel lets me do basic controls just by feel. How's that work with the touchscreen?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
iphone has a volume control button on the side.
and the iphone headphone has a butto that lets you pause and skip to the next song.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
As does the new version of the iPod Touch. The "no eyes" operation on the iPhone works better than the classic iPod as well.
The phone rings while playing music, you squeeze the mic on the earbuds, the music fades and your caller comes on, and when the call is over, the music fades back in from where you left off. A work of art -- and the entire time the iPhone never leaves your pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks