Intermissions in long movies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob P S, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
  2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

How long does the movie have to be in order for the film to have a mandatory intermission? Movie projection systems can't take more than a certain amount of movie reel, right? What's the time limit, 3 and a half hours before the reel has to be split?

3. DaveGR

DaveGR Stunt Coordinator

I think an hour and a half movie can have an intermission,,Remember Monty Python and Holy Grail,,hehehehehehehehheheeh [​IMG] HAHA

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Once it gets over 3.5 hours, yeah, I could use an intermission, although only if it's well-placed. If the movie's much shorter, though, I think it would seem like neither half was long enough, even for a 3.25 hour movie.

It also depends where I'm seeing the film. When I saw Lawrence Of Arabia and 2001 at Coolidge Corner, there was at least a decent-sized lobby (and the auditorium itself was spacious) to stretch my legs in. But, I remember a tiny second-run place in Portland, ME, showing Gettysburg a few years ago, and I imagine that was far too crowded.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Intermissions add to the cinematic experience.

How many of you are willing to watch Lawrence of Arabia, Ben-Hur, or Abel Gance's Napoleon without an intermission? (FYI, the 5 1/2 hour Napoleon has TWO intermissions)

After all, you have to get rid of that 44 oz. Diet Coke eventually.

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

7. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

8. OcieB

OcieB Stunt Coordinator

well i think that intermissions would be good for movies over 3 hours.

In all honesty, when was the last time you saw a movie in a theater that was over 3 hours? (excluding gods and generals). maybe one or two a year. The majority if cinema today is for entertainment, and people aren't entertained with movies that exceed 2 hours; let alone 3. I see no need for intermissions.

9. Paul Linfesty

Paul Linfesty Stunt Coordinator

Modern platters can supposedly hold around 4 and a half hours MAXIMUM of 35mm film. Also, reels come in all lengths, but the ones the studios ship prints out on are 2000 feet. One problem with 6000 foot reels (a format exhibitors have asked for) is that it is usually the first and last reels that get printed last (credits are argued over till the last minute, so all other reels are printed first).

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Not necessary. I actually have one theater nearby that does intermissions in long movies. I really hate it.

11. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

12. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I'm all for intermissions in long movies. Especially since I drank a 48-ounce Coke during "Gone with the Wind." [​IMG]

13. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Intermissions are welcome. In L.A. many of the better theaters have them if the film originally included one, but most films these days don't. Any film over 2 1/2 hours should have one. (You would think theaters would welcome this, it gives them the chance to sell more popcorn etc.) The only theaters which could have a problem are the multiplexes (But that's why they hire ushers)

"Pearl Harbor", "Titantic" and "Gangs of New York" all needed internmissions

14. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    Jason S: That's funny you mention the Greek friend...when I saw "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" in an outdoor theater in Athens in summer 1990, I was like WTF??! they stopped the movie half way to do exactly that! (and I'd already seen the movie the previous summer!) [​IMG] I'd been there many times before (and many times since) but that was my first movie theater experience in Greece...I guess the practice is more common in other parts of the world than it is here in the U.S.

That being said, I like the idea of intermissions at anything longer than 2:45 or so...I think FOTR and TTT would have benefited from a nice 15 minute intermission (with booze served in the lobby!) [​IMG]

Dennis

15. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

Yes indeed. 'Fellowship of the Ring' played with an intermission in my local cinema and I was all in favour of it ( as was my bladder ). As regards fears that your coat or bag might be taken in your absense - I usually bring them with me to the restroom.
    I have to confess that I have an odd fondness for intermissions... to the extent where I didn't bother fast forwarding during the few minutes of blank screen during the 2001 DVD. They add to the 'epic' nature of a movie I think.
    Incidently, I missed part of AOTC and Titanic due to lack of intermission.

16. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Intermissions totally ruin the flow of the film, bringing everything to a complete stop and throwing the entire audience out of the "film world" back into the "real world." The last time I was forced to endure an intermission (I think it was for "Titanic"), it was interminable. I didn't have to use the facilities, I didn't want to buy any more food, it was just 20 minutes of wasted time, sitting around waiting for the movie to re-start.

Anyone who can't sit still for at least three hours without having to use the bathroom should consult their doctor. And if you know it's going to be a problem, sit in an aisle seat.

17. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    As long as it's a built-in (intended for the placement, as opposed to stuck in by the theatre) intermission, I have no problem with them. Titanic wasn't paced to have an intermission so it shouldn't have one. Lawrence of Arabia IS paced to have an intermission; the film works better with it.

18. OcieB

OcieB Stunt Coordinator

19. Bill J

Bill J Producer

20. Bill J

Bill J Producer