What's new

Interested in DLP.... (1 Viewer)

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I have been using a Sony Wega 27" since my sophmore year in college. I love the thing to death because it took me forever to save for it. And I felt like I had finally earned the damn thing. Well know 27' just is not cutting it. My sound system rocks but my TV just can't keep up!

So I am interested in making a purchase this summer. I have been trying to research as many options as possible. For me I will not be able to have any RPTV as I have a preexisting TV bench. I am also not satisfied with any of the plasma screenes I have seen. I was thinking of going with a 34" Tube TV from Toshiba or Sony(a 16x9 one) but they seem like alot for the screen size.

So I have been really interested in DLP. For one I find the slim size and weight to be very appealing. I also enjoy their picture quality. I have just heard some bad things about them when going through the forums. I have heard they need lots of repairs and have other issues. If I do make the purchase it will probably be through Crutchfield(the financing program being a draw). And I am quite interested in the 46" Samsung and Toshibas they offer. Which brand would you go with here? Also what should I know about DLP? Is it reliable? Also are prices expected to decrease on these units? My limit is strictly $2500(wo warranty) so would there be any other suggestions some of you would make? What should I look for when researchign this purchase?

Once again I don't plan on making the purchase until the Summer. So I am trying to do as much research as possible. Any input or directions to some great resources would be greatly appreciated. I am in no hurry to run out and get something now. So I want to make sure that I am going to be buying something that lasts for awhile. I don't make a ton of cash(teacher) so I need to make sure that I am purchasing a quality and reliable product. And when it comes to displays....I have no idea what I'm doing as I have spent the past few years focusing on the audio aspects of my Home Theater. Thank you again for any input you might have.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Just do a search for DLP here on this forum and you'll find plenty of feedback including my thoughts on the Mitsubishi 52725 my parents bought..a clue...it's awesome.

Cambryn

Auditioning
What do you plan on hooking up to it? (HDMI, DVI, recievers, DVD players, etc)

Where do you plan on putting it ? (would you perfer to wall mount is with an Ultra thin DLP, or put it on a stand?)

What is your budget (since you are looking at financing than what is the best range you have if you have the choice to puchase it in one)

What is your lighting situation like? If there is a lot of lighting that Samsung would be a better option that Mitshubishi since the mits has more of a shine to the screen it can reflect quite a bit with alot of light coming in over the Samsung screen that is anti-glare.

How far away from the screen do you and your potential guests plan on sitting from the screen?

let us know to help determine the best option for you!
cambryn

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
To add to Cambryn's questions:

Do you or anyone who watches TV at your house see rainbows on DLP sets?

Cambryn

Auditioning
Have you considered DILA tehcnology? I took a look at that recently looked at it again and am very impressed with the image quality adn less pixelation to the picture when looking up close (the pixels are much tighter together on DILA than DLP)

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I would really like to not go above $2500(but am willing to add a warranty on top of that...should I?). Also It will be going on a Ikea TV Bench I already own. In the future I plan on using HDMI but not DVI. Picture Quality is more important than picture quantity. I will be sitting about 11 feet away from it. And I can not see rainbows nor do I know what to look for. And I am open to other technologies. Once again I plan on making the purchase in the summer and want the best for my money. As far as lighting goes it will be going in my huge(not being sarcastic) basement apartment. Lighting in that room is all under my control. No sunlight to contend with.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Does anyone know if TVAuthority offers any financing options? I would just rather not drop this much out of my bank all at once.

Cambryn

Auditioning
We have been listening to the requests and have been looking into the financing options. At this time we do not have that offer available. We are able to split payment between two cards if needed as an option to those interested. But within the future we will consider the options with the more feedback we receive on it.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Wow thanks for the quick response. I have to see if this was an option you had available either now or sometime in the recent future I would deffinately make my purchase from you guys. It's just that it factors heavily into my purchase decision.

DylanTS

Auditioning
I've also been looking at DLP's and LCD's recently, and at first started with the 46" model, but since I have moved up to the 50-60" screens. I still have not made a purchase, but will also be 11 feet from the screen, and believe that the 50-60" will be a good size. There are plenty of metrics to find out how big the screen should be given the viewing distance, but I would recommend going to a local dealer and just sitting 11 feet from the screen and see what you think.

In terms of technology, I first looked at Sony LCD's, but after seeing the difference in the DLP versus LCD, I decided to stick with the DLP (black levels, better color, IMO). I looked at the DILA quickly, but didn't really like it. Some people seem to like it, others dismiss it.

I've looked at the Samsung DLP 63 and 74 models, the 63 models are the older models that contain a problematic HD chip. I've heard bad things about this model -- that the screen went out to too many people too quick, and Samsung was unable to get a small base first who could find all the minor problems. The 74 model has a lot more positive things, including the better HD chip, although it's more expensive.

I've been looking into the Toshiba DLP's mostly, either the 52 or 62" models. They do have a 46" screen as well. All of these contain the HD2+ chip (the chip you should look for), and has a great picture in my opinion. I really haven't looked to much into the Mits DLPs, mostly because of price.

About warranty, at first I thought I should get one, but after talking to a lot of people, the only thing that really goes out is the bulb, which has a 10,000 hour life usually. And this bulb will run $300, but the warranties usually cost more... it's up to you, but I figure its probably not worth it.

Hope this helps

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
The Samsung (74 or 85 series models) and Toshiba models are both good brands. Compare the features and of course the picture to see which looks best to you. I find the Samsungs look a little better. I have the Mits 62725 DLP which I absolutely love. It does have the glare screen but it takes 5 seconds to remove. Also it has the largest variety of connections of any tv I've seen. HDMI, DVI, firewire, VGA...etc. Highly recommended.

From your seating distance of 11' you could definitely go 60" plus. I sit around 10' from my 62" with no problems even when I lean forward.

Besides the periodic bulb change (maybe every 4 years) you should be ok. Even though it has moving parts I wouldn't worry about it. Every display technology has its problems. It has no more than any other technology.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you were thinking about buying real soon (rather than this summer) and would consider buying from OneCall.com you might give a financial edge to the Toshiba's. For whatever reason, OneCall.com is pricing the 46" and 52" Toshiba's at under $2K(!) right now -- and under $2100 w/ shipping added. They're also offering 12-month no-interest financing, and seem to offer a decent EW w/ your choice of years to cover plus 50%-back in store credit if no servicing is ever needed, but their EW is not very clear on the "no lemon" policy. Not sure if they cover defective lamp -- personally, I would expect coverage of lamp defect (upto reasonable percentage of spec-ed useful life) if it doesn't explicitly say otherwise. Lamps seem to cost >=$400 and are spec-ed at 6000-8000 hours -- Toshiba says 8000 hours for low power mode, which might be your preference given your situation.

To me, probably the only caveat to buying from OneCall is that they don't accept returns of large TVs, even if DOA. So if that's a concern for you (and you don't want to deal w/ warranty service for a DOA TV), that's something to weigh against OneCall.

But if I were buying now, I'd certainly favor this option.

_Man_

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Well I decided to go with a Toshiba HM 46" model. I did alot of looking around. Looked at Sony Grand Wegas and JVC with the D-ILA. I also originally wanted the Samsung. After doing lots of reading and observing I decided to go with the Toshiba. Also anyone looking for some detailed info on DLP I suggest AVSForum.com. And to everyone here thank you very mcuh for your input! 5 Days till it gets here!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks