What's new

Sony X950G? (1 Viewer)

John DD

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Haven’t bought a new TV since 2006 (Mitsubishi WD-62628 DLP), and I’m gobsmacked by the leap in technology and learning curve I’m on. I’m looking for a 65" unit that has a great picture, wide viewing angle (for 18' between seats and TV), and very good to good “everything else”. Seems it’s hard to find that wide viewing angle without going to OLED, but I’m not enamored with the burn-in factor or price of these models. Paid $3K for the Mits 14 years ago, and not interested in going that route again considering all the trouble I had the last 3-4 years (replaced the mainboard). TV will be in a semi-bright room during the day, plenty dark at night, white walls, no gaming/players here - just movies, tv shows mostly. I find good reviews on one site, then discover other sites that are not so good (RTINGS, c/net, Techradar, Crutchfield, etc) I see Techradar’s review of the SONY X950G really disses the audio. I have not seen any other mention of this severe issue that they have with this model. I’m confused also that the Samsung’s Q70R is mentioned in many reviews as it’s sister from another mother. However, that model uses edge lighting (which I’ve learned is not ideal), while the X950G uses full array. Generally, I would think that these sites/labs would be testing with similar equipment, in similar conditions, with similar models - that would result in similar findings. I’m seeing considerable differences between them - which muddies the purchase decision waters. Anyway, any opinions & suggestions on a TV will be greatly appreciated.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
If you need a wide viewing angle, your options are limited to OLED or IPS LCDs. I think the super high-end Sony sets also have decent viewing angles, but I have no personal experience with those. I also need a wide viewing angle, and it's the main reason I've decided to hold on to my plasma for the foreseeable future.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Since you don't want an OLED TV and If off axis viewing is important you would need to purchase Sony's 2020 65" X950H as it's a high performance VA LCD display with Sony's X-Wide feature, the 2019 65" X950G does not have that feature.

Another good choice would be LG's new 2020 65" NANO90. We have an active thread on LG's NANO90 TV here and here's the thread on Sony's 2020 TV line-up.

Post your questions and comment here and on any threads that you feel are appropriate.

John DD

Auditioning
Real Name
John
When reading others' reviews that pertain to viewing angle, they involve distances between TV and person on average of being 6 to 10 feet. Our seating area is located approximately 18' from where our TV is/will be located. When I move from the most wide angles, across center to the other side angle, it really appears to be 10° on either side of 90° because of the longer distance. When reviewing 6 to 10 feet, it appears to be approximately 30° or wider of a viewing angle due to the close proximity of the viewer to the TV. Viewing angle wasn't an issue with our 2006 Mitsubishi WD-62628 62" DLP. Maybe it's something I'm worrying about unnecessarily? Would be nice to stroll into a Best Buy or similar, and do a real world walk around test from 18 feet. But, that's not in the cards until our living conditions allow for it.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I have the 55" X950G since last November and it's the best tv I have owned so far. Deep blacks and great color with only one issue that Sony fixed in minutes when they had access to my tv. There is only two of us in the house so no issues with viewing angle since the tv is 9' from the couch.

John DD

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I have the 55" X950G since last November and it's the best tv I have owned so far. Deep blacks and great color with only one issue that Sony fixed in minutes when they had access to my tv. There is only two of us in the house so no issues with viewing angle since the tv is 9' from the couch.
Thanks, atcolomb! My wife and I are the only occupants in the house 99.8% of the time. But, on occasion there are visitors (we live in Orlando) locally and from out-of-town. In your estimation, if you were twice that distance from your TV, sitting right at center position, how far to either side could you go (still at 18' from TV) before TV picture quality diminishes significantly? 5 feet? 10 feet? How far can you go side-to-side before picture quality gets diminished?

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Thanks, atcolomb! My wife and I are the only occupants in the house 99.8% of the time. But, on occasion there are visitors (we live in Orlando) locally and from out-of-town. In your estimation, if you were twice that distance from your TV, sitting right at center position, how far to either side could you go (still at 18' from TV) before TV picture quality diminishes significantly? 5 feet? 10 feet? How far can you go side-to-side before picture quality gets diminished?
I live in a townhome and the farthest I can go from the tv is 14' so going side to side the picture looks very good from my viewpoint.
IMG_0608.jpg

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
You are all correct, the further away from the screen the more off axis you can sit off the center without degrading the image. It's also true that a lager the screen size will give you more latitude you have to view off axis.

I also wanted to say that at 18" it's advised to get a larger than 65" screen size.

John DD

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Yeah, Robert. I will probably shift the furniture a tad, eliminating a few feet of distance to the TV. Anything out there in the $1200 area?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Hi John, I like Sony's 65" X900F for $999, but if you can stretch budget to $1,397 Sony's flagship 4K HDR LCD/LED 65" X950G would be a great choice. If it helps many Sony authorized dealers including our company offer 24 months interest free financing on Sony TVs.

John DD

Auditioning
Real Name
John
As I started to conclude my research of the last several weeks to a close a week or so ago, I saw the price of the Sony X950G at $1199 (apparently discounted) at most vendor sites, and was going to make the purchase the morning it went up to the current price, and was advised to sit back as the discount would be offered again, soon. My timing was off by less than a few hours! Thanks, Robert.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks