What's new

Integrating video games into home theater rack? (1 Viewer)

James St

Supporting Actor
Brian, for manual switchers you'll be looking at around $40-50 for one with s-video. Maybe cheaper if it's on sale. Radio Shack has one for $40 which should do fine. I have the Sony version and it works great. I now use the A/V RCA ins/outs for component switching so if you upgrade in the future you'll have switcher for that as well.
I know Sima used to make a powered switcher with a remote but it cost around $150.

James St

Supporting Actor
$40-50? I saw a 'four in one' with S-Video for $25 at Target last night
Doh! I just got back from Best Buy and saw they had some Recoton switchers for around $25-30. I haven't seen anyone mention these so I'm unsure how they compare to the others in terms of any possible signal degradation.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Ended up with the manual box from Target ;) Haven't hooked it up yet - got everything re-arranged all nice today, got the extra long cables I needed tonight to get the cables all neat & tidy between the TV & the AV Rack. Should look nice when I'm done. Nice means much better & tidier than the snakes' nest it was before!
Going to have the DC, the N64, the NES & the BookPC hooked up to the switchbox. Pretty sure the N64 will be 'pushed aside' once my birthday rolls by.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Doh, forgot all about this thread. I'll try to borrow a digicam over the weekend.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I had a lot of problems fitting my different consoles on my old TV stand. I was VERY picky trying to find an entertainment center that would have room for all the consoles (Especially with the top-loading ones). I have:
Dreamcast
PS2
Gamecube
N64
NES
SNES
Sega Genesis
Atari 7800
Sega Saturn
Here's what I found @ Circuit City one day:
http://www.gusdorf.com/e32918.html
Open Back, good for all the cords, 6 shelves on the bottom, plus a top shelf for VCRs, and: it fits up to a 42" TV!! :)
(Working on that still, I have a 27" Zenith).
I was very picky, and I am very happy with it for $199.99

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
A blast from the past!
Brian lets see your set up!
Here we go... Unfortunately, the pictures are darker than I'd like, and the battery ran out before I could retake them. No pictures of my little Samba & Sonic plushies unfortunately, and I've /still/ to frame my JSR posters.
Main stand (top) - the main "rack" in the living room, next to the Toshiba 36 inch TV we have (unfortunately not HDTV). Top of the rack is the XBox + 4 way selector with a space usually filled by NES carts. Second from the top is a N64 & NES. Third rack is my Toshiba 3109 DVD player, which has served us really well. On the last shelf is our Pioneer receiver. Nothing fancy but it's definitely powerful enough for the apartment.
Main stand (bottom) - this shows the machine that gets the most use ;) Along with a pile of ugly lime green XBox cases... I think that's Giant Gram + Boot CD sitting on top :) You can see one of the Axiom M3ti speaker + Bello stands we use as our front speakers.
Second Set-up - PSX + second DC + Saturn hooked up a small TV, sitting next to my computer. Used when I get overruled & thrown off the big TV. I really need some sort of PAL solution for this setup, it'd make life a little easier.
CD Rack (top) (bottom) - cheap & cheerful CD rack bought from Target (we've got a few...), this one's filled with games. Top two shelves are US DC games, third shelf is a mix of JPN Saturn games + UK DC games, fourth is "fragile" cardboard boxes for Saturn & DC games along with GBA & some CDs, fifth is PSX & a little DC overspill. That's some NES carts + boxes sitting in front of the bottom rack. Nowhere to store those stupid carts!
Samba! - two sets of maracas & a bunch of odds & sod peripherals that I really need decent storage for.
Sorry about the darkness. Also, these pics don't show the PC games, the computers, the handful of US/UK Saturn games (that come in stupid boxes), N64 carts/boxes & the three PS2 titles.
FAR too many games.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks