What's new

Integrating video games into home theater rack? (1 Viewer)

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
Hi guys,

As I'm looking for a new apartment to move into in the next few months, I was thinking about a more elegant solution for my home theater storage needs. I like the look of the DIY Flexi-racks (there are threads in the Hardware Archive about these). But the only problem I see is videogames.

Unlike other HT components, video games have
  1. Top-loading features
  2. Unusual sizes (Gamecube being notable)
  3. Controllers and lots of long controller cords[/list=1]

I have a PS2, Gamecube, Playstation and NES (newer top-loading model). Has anyone found a way to store videogame systems easily and without a bunch of cords all over the floor?

James St

Supporting Actor
Chad,

This is a problem I will soon come across as well. I currently have a PS2, Xbox and Dreamcast with plans of adding a Gamecube. Right now I'm using a 32" tv with a stand that houses my PS2 and Xbox plus storage space for controllers, etc. I also have a 5 shelf component rack housing my HT gear and Dreamcast. The problem is I'm buying a 53" Pioneer HDTV and will have to remove the tv stand. If I remove the vcr from the rack it will give me the bottom two shelves to use for gaming systems. I'm still unsure where to put the controllers though.

Since the PS2 is able to play PSX games then you won't need to include the PSX in your setup. I don't remember what the newer NES looks like but perhaps you could place it on top of the PS2 and then Cube next to them.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I bought a A/V rack from BB a few months ago for under $100. It has storage space in the bottom for my controllers, & it has 4 shelves, on which I have my receiver, XBox, PS2, & DC/GCN on one shelf. This also has storage for some CD cases in the front, & some storage on the side as well.

My TV has its own stand,where my DVD player & VCR go.

That's how I do it.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I have my XBox, GCN, DC, and PS2 in my bedroom on a plastic shelf kit that I bought at Wal-Mart for $10. Everything else is in their box on a bookcase that I got at Wal-Mart for $50.

It works out pretty good, but eventually I plan on getting one of those racks like Calvin is talking about to make it look nicer and less like a workshop.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Here's a sample pic of my setup:
theater1.jpg

All the consoles are on shelves which hold up the main bookshelfs. While I could cut the back of the shelves out and run cords to all the serperate systems I opted to just pull out the console I wanna use and sit it on the floor (except the Xbox & PS2 which stay where they are). The hook up cords are in the cabinet underneath the TV, and while there are a lot of them I use twisty-ties to keep certain ones together.
The shelves are a pretty cheap solution but it works well for my application. If I had floor standing speakers I'd probably make a rack for the consoles as you said.

Scott Falkler

Second Unit
Just for info, my front three racks in the pictures on my website are all made by Furniture Works International.

I bought one TV stand, and two audio racks, one for each side.

Games on the left, audio gear on the right and the TV in the middle, right where it should be...!

It forms a perfect triange for my listening position.

Scott Falkler

Second Unit
Here's a small contest for you guys...

What is strangely similar in Scott L's picture and one of my pictures?

I won't tell you which of my pictures, but look closely and you will see a similarity.

First to answer correctly what I am seeing gets a small but fun prize based on who wins...

Post your answers here as well as helping Chad out with his organization!!

Jason_H

Second Unit
Scott F, in your Pic #2 there is a gumball machine. There is also a gumball machine in Scott L's picture! Gamers really like their gum I guess! :)

Scott Falkler

Second Unit
Woohoo, wasn't that too easy!!?
Actually mine is filled with Runts candy, but anyway...
Jason H,
You have won a free Road Trip DVD starring Tom Green, a snake, and a mouse. ;)
Send me your mailing address to the email below, and I'll get it out to you pronto!
[email protected]
So, does anyone else have any pics of their setup, gaming rack suggestions, etc?
Let's see them!

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Specific to the Gamecube, if you're really picky about cords all over the floor, pick up a few Wavebird wireless controllers come June.

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
I use a homebrew flexy, and I just picked up one of those tupperware style storage containers in black that fits into one of the rack slots. When not in use, all the controllers and games live there. I'll prolly build a slide out drawer at some point in the future.

T

Jason_H

Second Unit
Woo-hoo!!! I knew my keen observatiion skills would come in handy someday! I will zip you an email Scott! :)

Dan B

Screenwriter
The only real problem with integrating your systems into the A/V rack is the controller cords taking up so much space, IMO. We want our wireless controllers! (damn it)

-Dan

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Why not only have one controller hooked up at a time and then set the others somewhere else? You could also leave just enough shelfspace by each console to put a controller so its not on the floor or in the way.

ChrisV

Second Unit
Ok, here we go. Kinda lame, but I got a digital camera and had to have some fun. Certainly doesn't suggest any ingenious ways to integrate video games into a home theatre (notice the Dreamcast sitting on the floor under a table). Actually, when being played the DC gets pulled out from there on a long s-vid cable and sits on the coffee table so everyone can play without a need for controller extensions.
Oh yeah, the pics are hosted on a friend's site so if you go poking around, those aren't pictures of my family and my name is not Lee :)
From the front
Again
left side
right side
software
And I will not be home between 7 and... waitaminute! You sneaky guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks