Optical Digital Audio Splitter?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Lindemuth, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Brian Lindemuth

Brian Lindemuth Auditioning

Hello,

I recently purchased an xbox. I decided on the xbox over the other products because of its ability to provide the best quality picture and the only one on the market to support true Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. My problem however is this. While I've read on one of the boards that it is progressive scan for the games, it is not for the playing of DVD movies. Therefore, I plan to use my current DVD player in my home theater still. However, I only have one optical digital IN connection on my reciever. I have two S-video connections on my TV, so that is not a problem, but the audio is. Is there some type of splitter device that can be used to integrate two optical digital cables into one or perhaps a swith box? I'd really hate to have to pull out my component rack every time to swith the audio between my xbox and DVD player. Please excuse my ingonorance on this subject as I'm still learning all the ins and outs of home theater setup. Thanks in advance for any help you may have.

Sincerely,

Brian

2. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Brian,
    Welcome to the Forum! Something like this optical switcher will do the job. If you have a Radioshack nearby they also carry these. Methinks that will get you all set!
    Best of luck,
    Dan Hine

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hi Brian: If you are looking for a signal sensing, priority programmable unit, that also happens to cost a bit more, look at the Audio Authority 1177. I use it and it is fantastic and switches both coax and optical and will output both optical and coax, so you are set for that future expansion too.
    Check it out HERE
    Of course, this unit also converts optical input to coax output and vice versa, if desired.

4. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

Assuming you have an available digital coax input on your receiver you can use an optical to coax converter like this one. This might be more convenient than switching. Good luck.
    Jay

5. Brian Lindemuth

Brian Lindemuth Auditioning

Thank you guys so much for replying. There is a solution then. I really appreciate your help. [​IMG] Thanks again.
    Sincerely,
    Brian