What's new

Inside Mill Creek's new Magnum, P.I. all-in-one Blu (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

From Heath at Cereal at Midnight, an insider's view of Mill Creek's all-in-one Blu of O-R 1980-88 Selleck Magnum, P.I.

Nice review....Seeing behind this guy, makes me feel so much better about my little collection, all I can say is Damn!!!

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Seriously, his collection is more than impressive.

Well I am pleasantly surprised that Mill Creek didn't overstuff the discs and actually took advantage of the format. That's a major plus and justifies the higher than usual (for them) price.

What IS a bummer is that the 2 hour movies are in "2 part" format. Those usually lead to missing or re-shuffled scenes and credits where they don't belong. I don't mind them as a bonus feature and would have preferred that to Rockford Files episodes, but not having the original two hour versions is an omission that may have me looking at different region sets if they have them presented correctly.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Well I am pleasantly surprised that Mill Creek didn't overstuff the discs and actually took advantage of the format. That's a major plus and justifies the higher than usual (for them) price.

What impresses me is that this Blu of Magnum has far more bonuses than other sets of that O-R Selleck series (even though the balance of the bonuses are produced by another outfit).

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
He mentioned the omission of the MURDER SHE WROTE episode, but made no mention of the SIMON & SIMON crossover episode. I’m assuming that’s MIA too, or perhaps I missed that in the video?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see this coming! The review did sound very promising. I see this set is available now on Amazon. And the price doesn’t seem too bad there.

On the previous DVD sets the pilot was always a two parter, so it’s the syndication cut.

I’m very tempted to pick this up!

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I didn't see this coming! The review did sound very promising. I see this set is available now on Amazon. And the price doesn’t seem too bad there.

On the previous DVD sets the pilot was always a two parter, so it’s the syndication cut.

I’m very tempted to pick this up!
The Magnum DVD box set I have has the pilot in the full 2 hour cut. So I'll be holding onto mine...

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Wonder how this set compares to the region 2 blu ray set that's been out for a couple years.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
He mentioned the omission of the MURDER SHE WROTE episode, but made no mention of the SIMON & SIMON crossover episode. I’m assuming that’s MIA too, or perhaps I missed that in the video?
that might be in the Simon& Simon box sets??

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
that might be in the Simon& Simon box sets??

Yes, both parts are on the second-season Simon & Simon release (on Disc 1), albeit Shout!'s listing thereto has the Simon episode two days earlier than the Magnum episode; looked 'em both up, and both were on the same night (Thursday, Oct. 7, 1982 on CBS)...

simonandsimonmagnumcrossover.jpg

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Yes, both parts are on the second-season Simon & Simon release (on Disc 1), albeit Shout!'s listing thereto has the Simon episode two days earlier than the Magnum episode; looked 'em both up, and both were on the same night (Thursday, Oct. 7, 1982 on CBS)...

View attachment 132621
good digging!!

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
And this brings me to the question of - why isn't there a complete series set of Simon & Simon?? Even DVD would be fine.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Shout put out the individual sets, I'm surprised they don't make a complete release.
Yeah, I know the individual sets are out there, but it adds up if you buy all of them. Would love for a lower priced full collection to come out. Maybe there isn't much demand. Oh well, off to eBay.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Just be careful of bootleg sets. The price on that Simon & Simon link above is suspiciously low.
Good advice. I have seen a lot of listings for Simon & Simon on eBay and Amazon marketplace, which is surprising for a show that isn't exactly high profile these days. So either the internet is swimming in bootlegs, or swimming in Simon & Simon discs that no one wants. ;) That would help explain why no box set is forthcoming.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
That would help explain why no box set is forthcoming.

One other semi plausible reason, is that the individual season sets didn't sell very well.

Shoutfactory releasing a complete series dvd set likely wouldn't boost up sales either.

The same can be said of NYPD Blue, where Shoutfactory released the remaining seasons 5-12 dvd sets. So far no complete series dvd set released in america. (There appeared to be an NYPD Blue complete series dvd set released in england).

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Just be careful of bootleg sets. The price on that Simon & Simon link above is suspiciously low.
I think one of the reasons for the low pricing is that DVD, much like VHS is dying format. So media distributors are dummping overstock of what they have, and passing the saving to the end users. I really doubt that anyone is going to bootleg dvd unless it's from China, and those arepretty obvious (by all the chinese writing on the box). And as protected as eBay is for the buyers...for that price it's a no Brainer!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks