What's new

Indiana Jones Moved Up to Oct 21 (1 Viewer)

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator

Don't you think if it's coming out on 11/4 that the order date would be at LEAST a month or so earlier on a release this BIG??

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Don't you think if it's coming out on 11/4 that the order date would be at LEAST a month or so earlier on a release this BIG??
I don't know what Paramount's order date policy tends to be, because they don't really post them like other studios do.

But to turn your argument around, it could quite easily BECAUSE it's a big release that they might cut it closer. This achieves a few things:

* They already are going to make more copies than the original set of orders could possibly be, because they anticipate selling this for a loooong time. So they don't need as much lead time.

* This give them flexibility to take orders closer to the street date, so that they can let the retailers tally pre-order demand more closely and place the final order with a more accurate picture of what they actually need/want. This save them from dealing with stock adjustments and credits later.

* It means that they get the product to the stores just-in-time for the street date, so there is less of a hassle with dealing with street date breaking.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
and that could pose problems as we all know there are e-tailers are there who will break these street dates.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Saw a lifesized stand up of Harrison from the Temple of Doom poster at Coconuts today. I wanted to grab it and run. November on it. I'm thinking it's a done deal.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I got this stand-up from my work, from the Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb game that came out on Xbox, then PS2. It has a backdrop to go with it, but I took him off it...

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I just got an email from DVD Empire that is somewhat intriguing:
We have just been informed by the studio that the release date for 'Adventures Of Indiana Jones, The: The Complete Movie Collection (Widescreen)' has been changed to 10-21-2003.

TBA = To Be Announced (No Release Date Specified Yet)

Your order has been kept in place and will be processed
normally. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have
caused.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I sure hope this is true, and not because I want Indy earlier (I've waited this long, I can wait another week or two).

I want it on October so I can pay for it on my October paycheck! November is a heinous month for DVD purchases already! And I have to start holiday shopping as well! :frowning:

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Nope. :D

This nay-sayer has been part of ad changes on a major scale before, and he knows that it's a nightmare, and the ones that he (meaning I) has taken part in were nowhere NEAR the scale Indy is. All those poster, those stand-ups, those in-store videos, the releases to stores... all have to be changed. Why they would just start doing it after everything is just set up for the first time, it doesn't make sense.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
Even though they are very different product, any chance Paramount wants to maximize sales by staying clear of the Finding Nemo onslaught on Nov. 4th? Just a thought.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Tony,

Actually, that would be the only reason to move the date... since Indy is a more expensive product, people probably wouldn't want both. Droping 40 would be ok, but once you break the 60 barrier, for most people (i.e. NOT 99% of this forum's constituency) that would be pushing it. But I would push the release date later, toward Christmas, and do the "gift" angle.

That's the first, rational reason for moving the date I have heard. Good logic, Tony.

Luis A

Second Unit
Yeah, I got th same email as Jesse Blacklow. Either date is fine with me though. Isn't Charlie's Angels Full Throttle coming out on the 21st too?

Sean*O

Second Unit
This nay-sayer has been part of ad changes on a major scale before, and he knows that it's a nightmare, and the ones that he (meaning I) has taken part in were nowhere NEAR the scale Indy is. All those poster, those stand-ups, those in-store videos, the releases to stores... all have to be changed. Why they would just start doing it after everything is just set up for the first time, it doesn't make sense.
Well, perhaps the only thing that would harm the ad campaign already in place, is if they had moved the release date to sometime after November 4. If people go in to the stores looking for Indy on Nov 4, it will be there. The awarness for the product will still be there.

They may even sell many more sets before 11/4 because people will see Indy on the shelves prior to the advertised release date, and they may grab it thinking they are cheating the system and getting product early.

It won't harm Paramount at all to move the release date up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks