What's new

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) (2 Viewers)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Considering they cast Karen Allen, who would have been about 29 when filming (although she was no doubt playing younger), I think this is much ado about nothing. Rightly or wrongly, people thought about these matters differently in 1981, to say nothing of 1936, and Indy was clearly written to be a kind of James Bond character. (Indeed, Lucas and Spielberg’s collaboration started when Spielberg said “I’d like to direct a James Bond movie,” and Lucas said “I have something better than James Bond.”) That’s why the first three Indy movies had a different female lead each time.

I choose see it like this: Indy knew Marion when she was a kid and he was a young man. She fell for him, and he saw things in her he loved but recognized she was too young. They probably spent a lot of time together and were close, even if he kept her at arm’s length. They no doubt kissed and more. Then, realizing what was to come next, Indy abruptly left, whether because he was scared of a real relationship or because she was too young, or both. He probably told Abner but left without telling her anything. She was crushed. Hence, “I learned to hate you in the last ten years.” She probably thought they had a future together. He probably led her to believe that. He probably did believe it.

I don’t know anything about the prostitution angle, and I’m glad that was discarded. More than anything that comes across as misogynistic. Lucas, Spielberg and Kasdan were pretty forward thinking for their time, but they were still young men in the 70s in Hollywood. Attitudes about women had a long way to go.

The Young Indiana Jones show probably would have touched on the Ravenwoods if it lasted another year. It would have been interesting to see what they came up with. That show did a good job on Indy’s background.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The trailers would seem to indicate nazis. They also show Indy at one of ticket tape parades for Apollo astronauts. Some former nazis were recruited by the U.S. government to assist in the space race so it’s probably a decent bet that these hints in the trailer are not unrelated.

And it also could be one of the ways that trailers lie. Indy recognizes someone as a Nazi, and asks if he still is one. It makes us think that maybe he's going to be fighting Nazis. But the guy could simply be a former Nazi scientist who's now working for the US and is no longer a Nazi.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think this is much ado about nothing.

The thing about ado is there is a lot of it slung around these days and the key strategy is to try to make sure none of the ado gets on you. You hope people will deal with their ado in the privacy of their own homes but they tend to want to share their ado with anybody that they can get to have a look at it. So, lots of ado out there you just need to get good at ducking it or you know, keep a large supply of hand sanitizer.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Speaking of Marion and Indy 5, this interview she gave to ShowBiz411 sure makes it sound like she is returning:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Re: Karen Allen returning…

It could be similar to what occurred in Stakeout (1987) and Another Stakeout (1993), where Madeleine Stowe had a pivotal role in the original as the love interest, but was then relegated to a cameo in the sequel as the lead (Dreyfuss) went on another stakeout… in this film, Indiana goes on another adventure, and Marion just has a cameo…

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Re: Karen Allen returning…

It could be similar to what occurred in Stakeout (1987) and Another Stakeout (1993), where Madeleine Stowe had a pivotal role in the original as the love interest, but was then relegated to a cameo in the sequel as the lead (Dreyfuss) went on another stakeout… in this film, Indiana goes on another adventure, and Marion just has a cameo…
Maybe they got divorced..?
jennifer carpenter exorcism GIF

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I do think that plotline about Indiana Jones sexually abusing a 12-15 year old girl, utterly destroying her so that she becomes an alcoholic prostitute in Nepal by the time she is 18, getting paid to have sex with Nazis and other scum, then takes her back in her 20s to have another crack at totally erasing any sense of wellbeing she could ever have and turning her suicidal, sort of gives this whole series a very dark edge. Plus a lot of family fun type of appeal. Lucas and Spielberg are genius.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Jeez, for how long this is going to be. Nobody is thinking about that day and night. I think "we" talked enough about that underage stuff. It's an unhealthy discussion if you think and talk for pages only about that. Let's move on.

It was a joke, I figured that was the best way to approach it, have a good laugh.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Sure was funny.

Satire is an acquired taste. The soap jokes work though. I know people want to pick apart the trailer for hints and clues, but the thing I am trying to spot in it is how often Ford's head is put on another guy's body. I have heard this is a lot and honestly, Scorsese should have considered this in The Irishman because it was weird when they just made De Niro's face look younger on his older body.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks