What's new

"In Stereo Where Available" on DVD (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
By the thread title, what I'm referring to is instances on television disc releases where the bumpers of the networks indicating that a particular show was "In Stereo Where Available" were included on those releases. How many do you know of or have you seen?

There are at least three that I know of, all depicted here:

--Matlock (first-season release has NBC "In Stereo Where Available" bumper with current peacock on pilot entitled "Diary of a Perfect Murder," March 3, 1986; even though this originally aired before NBC eventually changed from the 11-feathered Proud N peacock to today's bird, it is today's bird that is represented in the Stereo bumper; image captured from first-season DVD release from CBS DVD)

--MacGyver (episodes from the fourth and fifth seasons [1988-90] have had ABC Stereo bumpers on them that were represented on the DVDs; fourth-season one had "In Stereo Where Available" flanked by speaker icons, while fifth-season one simply said "Stereo Where Available" ["Stereo" in white, with trails of that word in varying shades of blue emanating from the left and right, and "Where Available" in black on a small yellow bar below that]; both of those were captured from fourth- and fifth-season episodes within the Complete Collection DVD release of that 1985-92 ABC series from CBS DVD)

Attachments

• nbcinstereomatlock.jpg
    nbcinstereomatlock.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,801
  • macgyverabcstereo1.jpg
    macgyverabcstereo1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 496
  • macgyverabcstereo2.jpg
    macgyverabcstereo2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,089

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The syndication masters for Married With Children had 'em intact. Not sure if that's the case on dvd.

The third syndication only season of 85 Twilight Zone has "In Stereo" burned into its opening titles. And there's also Babylon 5 with its Dolby Surround credit.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
MIAMI VICE was the very first show that I remember seeing an "In Stereo" bumper. In fact, the first season episodes that I viewed (From the Spring of '85, as I recall!) didn't include the "Where Available" disclaimer, which was added during the second 1985-86 season (And on other new shows from around that point on!), if I recall correctly.

CHEERS! :)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
MIAMI VICE was the very first show that I remember seeing an "In Stereo" bumper. In fact, the first season episodes that I viewed (From the Spring of '85, as I recall!) didn't include the "Where Available" disclaimer, which was added during the second 1985-86 season (And on other new shows from around that point on!), if I recall correctly.

Are you referring to this NBC "In Stereo" bumper that was on Miami Vice?

Attachments

• miamivicenbcstereo11featheredpeacock.jpg
    miamivicenbcstereo11featheredpeacock.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 790

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Are you referring to this NBC "In Stereo" bumper that was on Miami Vice?
Yes, that one first appeared during the second season. Before that, there was no "Where Available" disclaimer, at least not as broadcast on the NBC affiliate station WICU-TV from Erie, PA.

I believe the first MIAMI VICE season opening had a speaker flanked on each side of the "In Stereo" letters, if memory serves me correctly.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Yes, that one first appeared during the second season. Before that, there was no "Where Available" disclaimer, at least not as broadcast on the NBC affiliate station WICU-TV from Erie, PA.

I believe the first MIAMI VICE season opening had a speaker flanked on each side of the "In Stereo" letters, if memory serves me correctly.

It did indeed, and that Stereo bumper was also on Knight Rider, apparently.

Attachments

• knightridernbcstereo.jpg
    knightridernbcstereo.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 933

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
An attempted Google search ailed to uncover any proper MIAMI VICE season 1 openings.

While Dailymotion has low res versions of MV S1 episodes, in a bizarre twist, the opening montage has NO labeling, whatsoever! Also, the muted season 1 episode that I was able to locate has the imaging zoomed in to the point that even some of the show's title isn't visible, let alone any "In Stereo" captioning.

Perhaps some owners of the MIAMI VICE Season 1 DVD and/or Blu-ray could weigh in on this?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It would just be the video sourced NBC shows that have the "headphone peacock" (Carson Tonight Show, Letterman, SNL from Fall 1985 to Spring 1989) still attached to them. It was an electronically generated ident and as such wouldn't be visible on new film transfers of shows like Amazing Stories and Quantum Leap.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It did indeed, and that Stereo bumper was also on Knight Rider, apparently.
Thank you very much for posting this, Ben! That's how I remember the "IN STEREO" bumper looking, also!
I also remember experiencing a slight pang of disappointment when that "Where Available" disclaimer began appearing in the MIAMI VICE season 2 episodes, despite any personal Stereo TV setup being a full decade away, and even then, only via Hi-Fi VCR hookup!

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
By the thread title, what I'm referring to is instances on television disc releases where the bumpers of the networks indicating that a particular show was "In Stereo Where Available" were included on those releases. How many do you know of or have you seen?

There are at least three that I know of, all depicted here:

--Matlock (first-season release has NBC "In Stereo Where Available" bumper with current peacock on pilot entitled "Diary of a Perfect Murder," March 3, 1986; even though this originally aired before NBC eventually changed from the 11-feathered Proud N peacock to today's bird, it is today's bird that is represented in the Stereo bumper; image captured from first-season DVD release from CBS DVD)

--MacGyver (episodes from the fourth and fifth seasons [1988-90] have had ABC Stereo bumpers on them that were represented on the DVDs; fourth-season one had "In Stereo Where Available" flanked by speaker icons, while fifth-season one simply said "Stereo Where Available" ["Stereo" in white, with trails of that word in varying shades of blue emanating from the left and right, and "Where Available" in black on a small yellow bar below that]; both of those were captured from fourth- and fifth-season episodes within the Complete Collection DVD release of that 1985-92 ABC series from CBS DVD)
We had the first Sony XBR 25in tv which were Stereo, Macy's was the only seller ,and charged full retail @ 1200.00. The first channel to light up that stereo lit was CBS 2 Balto.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We had the first Sony XBR 25in tv which were Stereo, Macy's was the only seller ,and charged full retail @ 1200.00. The first channel to light up that stereo lit was CBS 2 Balto.

What I remember is buying some kind of cheap gadget from Radio Shack which took the audio feed from my mono TV or possibly was connected to cable and decoded it to Stereo before feeding into my amplifier. There was a knob that had to be adjusted to get separation right. When you were successful, a little red light glowed. The Tonight Show was the first Stereo show I remember.
It was a thrill to hear for the first time, but so fiddley, often we could not bother to use it.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Going by memory, but I think the first episode of Forever Knight shows the 'In Stereo' notation on the first episode of the Season 1 dvd set.

I watched it recently.

It aired on the CBS 'CrimeTime After Primetime' series of latenight shows in the early 90s.

danielanderson4500

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
daniel
Another show that has the "In Stereo" bumpers intact is American Gladiators, from when they added Larry Csonka to the hosting lineup along with Mike Adamle. (Season 2.)

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
I’m pretty sure The Simpsons DVDs have that message on some of the early episodes.

danielanderson4500

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
daniel
I'm not 100 percent sure, but AG was the first syndie show to have "In Stereo Where Available" during the opening? I can only think of one other syndie show having that which was “On Scene: Emergency Response” but i can't remember when "On Scene" had it.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'm not 100 percent sure, but AG was the first syndie show to have "In Stereo Where Available" during the opening? I can only think of one other syndie show having that which was “On Scene: Emergency Response” but i can't remember when "On Scene" had it.
AFAIK Tranzor Z was.

1651672630831.png

Voltron was the first syndicated show in stereo, but doesn't make note of it outside of a brief mention in the end credits.

Last edited:

danielanderson4500

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
daniel
I had a Zenith TV with stereo sound. It made my viewing of shows like China Beach, American Gladiators and other shows better than it had been in mono. (Got it right before AG's second season and CB's last season, 1990.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks