What's new

In Living Color Season 2, edited? (1 Viewer)

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I have only watched two episodes so far but I noticed a cut in the skit with Damon as the homeless guy in the Army recruiters office. Specifically in the ending, on the DVD it went to a black screen but I distinctly remember in the TV broadcast, he walked out of the office singing "Get a messed up life and an ugly wife, in the Army".

Has anyone else noticed this?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Actually, it was "Be! all that you can be! Get an ugly wife, and a messed up life, in the Army." (sung to the tune of the Army's old "Be All That You Can Be" campaign).

Sounds like someone at Fox has had an attack of "political correctness." I guess someone there is thinking, "ooh, we're at war, so better not say anything negative about the Army, even jokingly...

Just one more reason for me to stick with my off-air tapes.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I'd be very interested to know what other edits there are (if any). I haven't gotten around to getting even the first season yet. If it's just that one line that is omitted, I can live with that. But if there are multiple cuts throughout the season, I think I'd pass.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
This drives me up the wall.
All Fox has to do is put a big sticker on the box or a screen warning that says in effect:

The following program may contain jokes that may be offensive based on the time period when it originally aired. We at Fox are committed to presenting all of our TV programs they way they were aired, uncut. Views expressed do not reflect Fox, etc, etc.

If they keep this up I'm going to stop buying and Netflixing the rest of the seasons.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
I watched this from Netflix the other day, and while not paying strict attention, I thought this part was still there. I know I heard him at least sing the "Be all that you can be" part.

As for disc one, if the musical acts are like Heavy D and Queen Latifah singing, then yes they are there. Heavy D opens one show doing the theme, and Queen Latifah ends another.

Chris

RyanAn

Screenwriter
That was honestly one of my favorite lines from the entire run of the series.
frown.gif
I still will keep the set, because I doubt we will get anything better, which is a sad thing.

Ryan

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
quote: I still will keep the set, because I doubt we will get anything better, which is a sad thing.

Considering that in an HTF chat in late 2002 or early 2003 this show was pretty much given the death sentence in terms of likelyhood of a DVD release, I'm still happy that they even released anything from this series.

The Absense of music wouldn't bother me as much, for me personally I'm buying it for the scetches. Although edited lines, does a lot.

Chuck West

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed an edit on Disc 1, during the "Men On Films" skit. Damon Wayons made a comment regarding "dropping the soap". The problem was the word "soap" was muted.
thumbsdown.gif

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Edits.......edits.......edits. It seems like everything's edited these days. "Alf", "Ren & Stimpy", "In Living Color" and god knows what else. I'm starting to think these companies are more concerned about quantity over quality. Pretty sad.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
An entire joke is cut from a "Men On..." skit in Season 1. Damon Wayans mentions that their new sponsor is Wang Computers, starts to say something else, and then it cuts to laughter from the aftermath of the joke.

I am curious if this stuff was edited from the original broadcasts, or at least the FX broadcasts.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
quote:Edits.......edits.......edits. It seems like everything's edited these days. "Alf", "Ren & Stimpy", "In Living Color" and god knows what else. I'm starting to think these companies are more concerned about quantity over quality. Pretty sad.

Woah woah, Ren and Stimpy is cut??? The damn thing a big "Uncut" on the front of it.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
quote: Woah woah, Ren and Stimpy is cut??? The damn thing a big "Uncut" on the front of it.

Yep, a couple threads down from this one at the time of this post discusses the fact that even though it is advertised as uncut, there are cuts.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
quote:An entire joke is cut from a "Men On..." skit in Season 1. Damon Wayans mentions that their new sponsor is Wang Computers, starts to say something else, and then it cuts to laughter from the aftermath of the joke.

From my memory (my tapes were from the original Fox network showings):

Damon: ...Brought to you by...WANG!

(audience laughter)

David: Don't they make computers?

Damon (suggestively): Mmmm, Hmmmm!

And then it goes off onto another part of the skit.

John*P

Second Unit
You mean to tell me that the In Living Color sets are edited for content??? Unbelievable...just unbelievable. You mean to tell me that this was suitable for prime time viewing in the early 90s, (when standards were somewhat tamer) but not on DVD in 2004? BS...my friends and I all watched this show on Fox in its heyday (we were in elementary/middle school at the time) and we all turned out fine...er, most of us did anyway. :-p

If Fox is trying to be "politically correct" with these edits...it doesn't make much sense to me considering that a show like Family Guy is much more offensive than In Living Color. The only trim that I know of on the FG sets is the Osama bin Laden bit.

I was thinking about eventually buying the ILC season sets, but if they're edited, I'll probably pass...

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
You mean the bit where the little kid is singing to distract the security operators in the air port? Is that the Osama bin Laden bit from Family Guy?

Also, sad to hear this season has its cuts, as well as Ren and Stimpy ~ can they really advertise uncut if there is a cut product inside? Sounds like false advertising to me...

Mike

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
A couple of things.

First I don't believe that the ILC sets are advertised as Uncut, I don't think Fox is that stupid.

I've got to wonder something though, the joke that was cut where he sings a parity of that army song, might that have been removed not to be politically correct, but is it possible that they needed to clear the rights to the tune of that song, and either couldn't afford to, or chose not to?

I'm not a music rights expert, and so I'm just throwing that out as a question. Do you need to clear the original song if you do a parity of it on a TV show? I mean, I know that Weird Al legally doesn't need permission to do song parities, but seaks it out anyway, but I'm not sure if the same thing would apply in this case. Anyone who might know something want to chyme in?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks