In-Ceiling Vs. Bookshelf Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dan.F, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Dan.F

Dan.F Auditioning

Dec 28, 2003
    I’m new to HTF and I’m not sure whether this post belongs in “Basics” or “Speakers”, so I tried “Speakers”.

I’m a 2-channel stereo audio guy, who’s building a house that is pre-wired for 6.1 surround sound. I feel that the most attention and $ should go into the speakers, and would like (for aesthetic purposes) speakers that are placed in the ceiling, however I don’t want to sacrifice good quality. I’m also not an audiophile by any means.

I’ve been told that because of the materials behind the drywall, good in-ceiling speakers are expensive in order to compensate for their environment. My questions are:

·Is this true?
    ·If so, would I be better off hanging bookshelf speakers from the ceiling? My viewing/listening area is open to the kitchen; therefore I have no back wall.
    ·What are your recommendations for a good speaker system? My budget is about $1,000 for speakers (including subwoofer).

Thanks for the help,
  2. Joseph Sabato

Joseph Sabato Stunt Coordinator

Sep 13, 2003
    If your wall behind the TV is clear, and you want build ins, I would go for in-wall speakers for the front channels for imaging reasons. My brother in law's 5.1 system is all in the ceiling and leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion, with the fronts really being the major issue. The wall behind his RPTV is clear so I really do not understand why his installer put them where he did.

With any in wall system, you will have a fair amount of coloration once you get above a moderate volume ( from the wall resonating). S&V magazine ran a test of in walls from ~ $100.00 to $400.00 each and they all had that same limitation once you got above moderate volumes.

I think you would be better off with some small, unobtrusive bookshelf type speakers mounted up high and aimed down at the listening area with a sub to carry the bass for sound quality. Get 6, ~$100 bookshelves ( Paradigm Atoms, Polk RT series...lots of choices here) plus a Hsu Research VTF-2 for around $500.00 and you will have sound that will be better than anything you can get in to the walls for that price. Good Luck with your installation.