What's new

Bookshelf vs Floor Standing Front Speakers (1 Viewer)

Which is better for a larger living area, book shelf front speakers or floor standing tower fronts?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blake88

Auditioning
Real Name
Blake
So, the basement project is almost done and I need help setting up my speakers. I know I want a 7.1 or 7.2 system that can expand with ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos later down the road. See layout and pic. I have already ran wiring for mounted speakers, (L,C,R,SL,SR,RL, and RR). I'm looking at SVS speakers.

Question: I would prefer SVS Prime Bookshelf speakers for L and R and mount them on the wall. I think it would be a cleaner look. But, does my size of room need floor standing speakers such as the SVS Prime Towers? Which would be better for movies? Movie watching is my primary use.

I plan to use dual SVS PB-2000 or a single SVS PB-4000 for either option. I haven't decided which yet.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Basement Layout with Notes.pdf
    49.6 KB · Views: 380
  • Projector Wall.jpg
    Projector Wall.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 416

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As I mentioned in your other thread, don't mount them on the wall. If you have to have looks over function, go with speakers designed to be on the wall. Based on your picture you're probably going to have to compromise. On wall may be the best option since (to me) it looks like anything else would be hard to locate.

Since your theater is open to the rest of the space you have a pretty decent size to fill. I would go with decent bookshelf size speakers and invest more into the sub.

Also, it looks like everything is solid (the floor and the walls). Lots of places for reflection. You may need to dampen it with rugs and stuff on the walls. There's only so much the auto-eq can do.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just a comment, but if I'm looking at the wall boxes right, you have it set up for speakers (and TV) that are way too high. Ideally, the tweeters are at seated ear level and I think the bottom of the TV should be no higher than seated eye level. It looks like yours, especially the center, are nearly at ceiling level.

With 7.1, the surrounds should be a foot of two above seated ear level, but with Atmos, they should be the same height as the fronts, at seated ear level.

Blake88

Auditioning
Real Name
Blake
As I mentioned in your other thread, don't mount them on the wall. If you have to have looks over function, go with speakers designed to be on the wall. Based on your picture you're probably going to have to compromise. On wall may be the best option since (to me) it looks like anything else would be hard to locate.

Since your theater is open to the rest of the space you have a pretty decent size to fill. I would go with decent bookshelf size speakers and invest more into the sub.

Also, it looks like everything is solid (the floor and the walls). Lots of places for reflection. You may need to dampen it with rugs and stuff on the walls. There's only so much the auto-eq can do.

Thanks for the advice. The basement is not complete done yet. I do plan on installing sound panels on the wall and the ceiling does have the acoustic 2x2 tiles.

Blake88

Auditioning
Real Name
Blake
Just a comment, but if I'm looking at the wall boxes right, you have it set up for speakers (and TV) that are way too high. Ideally, the tweeters are at seated ear level and I think the bottom of the TV should be no higher than seated eye level. It looks like yours, especially the center, are nearly at ceiling level.

With 7.1, the surrounds should be a foot of two above seated ear level, but with Atmos, they should be the same height as the fronts, at seated ear level.

You are correct on the speakers, when I ran wiring for the L, C, R channels I did place them a little high. They are about 7.0' high. If I mount the speakers I was going to install the speakers under the boxes around 6' high. The front speakers are 15 feet away from the couch.

As for the TV, I just installed a receptacle and empty box for wiring in case I wanted to have a TV at that location. But, I plan to install a 120" projector screen. That is why the C channel is so high, it is above the screen.

Now that I've got some additional input I will probably purchase the projector, Optoma UHD60, first. See what screen size I can do, then I'll try to get tower speakers and place the center speaker under the screen on my entertainment center. I may have to sacrifice the 120" screen and go with something smaller to accomplish this though. :(

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I wonder... maybe ultimately, you might want to consider whether going for constant image height (at 2.35:1 w/ possibly wider screen than 120") would be a worthwhile goal for such a large room, especially if you plan to watch lots of wider movies/content and not...

IF not that, you might also consider an acoustically transparent screen so you can place the speakers behind the screen.

All such solutions will likely push costs significantly beyond your original budget, so no idea if they'd be realistic for you. But if you've never considered either before and has some room in the budget (or would consider for future upgrade), might be worth considering before settling for a smaller screen.

One other thing. You're spending a good chunk of $ on a 4K projector that isn't true 4K, and you'll be sitting pretty far from the projected image (at something like 17-19ft eyes-to-screen according to diagram), which you now surmise will need to be smaller than planned. I wonder if you're not better off going w/ a good 1080p projector for now and maybe see if the savings won't make either some kind of constant image height solution or acoustically transparent screen doable w/out breaking your budget (too much)... Afterall, this will be your first time doing any of this (according to the other thread), so you may find 1080p on a larger screen plenty satisfying for a few years (or more)... until true 4K becomes affordable for an upgrade... FWIW, based on visual acuity alone (not color res/gamut/fidelity), seems like 1080p would be plenty good for the screen size and viewing distance you have planned...

_Man_

Last edited:

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
Question: I would prefer SVS Prime Bookshelf speakers for L and R and mount them on the wall. I think it would be a cleaner look. But, does my size of room need floor standing speakers such as the SVS Prime Towers? Which would be better for movies? Movie watching is my primary use.

What size is your room? And before you ask... yes, I see the link to a PDF file. With the proliferation of malware today, and PDF being a prime way to deliver it, I'm definitely not clicking on some random file.

You are correct on the speakers, when I ran wiring for the L, C, R channels I did place them a little high. They are about 7.0' high. If I mount the speakers I was going to install the speakers under the boxes around 6' high. The front speakers are 15 feet away from the couch.

Unless you'll be standing up the entire time 6 feet is still too high I'm afraid. In order to get correct sound reproduction in the seated position you will either need to aim the speakers down toward the listeners or drop them to around 3 feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks