Import from one Outlook to another

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Parker Clack, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I just purchased a new computer for my wife and I have Outlook on the old hard drive and I want to import all the old information from it to the Outlook on her new system.

What files do I need to move over?

Thanks,
    Parker

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

There's an import/export feature that will let you back up your data, but the easiest way is to just pull the oulook.pst file to the new PC.

Open Windows Explorer and click "tools" then "folder options" and click the "view" tab. Make sure the "show hidden files and folders" button is checked.

Then browse to

C:Documents and SettingsAdministrator(fill in user name)Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoft

Granted, I don't know what O/S you're using. This is the case if you've got 2000 or XP. 98 will be slightly different.

Find the file in the Microsoft folder called "outlook.pst" and copy it. Then you can simply replace the same file in the new installation of Outlook and open the file from inside the program. You'll probably have to go into the properties of the backed up file and make sure "read only" is not checked before you open it.