What's new

IMAX Ultimate 3d: anyone own? (1 Viewer)

Jay_Sharp

Stunt Coordinator
Hello! first time poster, long-time lurker.

Last spring, I was fortunate to catch The Haunted Castle at the 3d Imax. As a professional 3d game artist, I was impressed by the sets, use of lighting and how well the actual 3d effect of the movie was conveyed...the story well ...I'll say nothing. Heh.

Has anyone purchased this pack of IMAX films that came out? Is it worth the $75? And how good is the effect with the included 3d glasses (especially the scenes where the instruments are playing or the Hellish Rollercoaster)? Also how interesting and effective is "Encounter In The Third Dimension" and "Alien Adventure"? Any additional thoughts?

Thanks in advance, mates.

John DeLuca

Stunt Coordinator
Jay, I just found your thread and have to say, these are definitely worth the money. My wife just bought this whole set today and we watched Haunted Castle tonight. This was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. The 3-d on this DVD is amazing. I can't wait to watch the other 2 DVD's. I was able to get it at DVDLair for $75 and it comes with 2 3d glasses and 3 DVD's. Well worth the price. If you look on the website, the glasses alone cost $99 if you buy them seperately. If anyone has the chance to check these out, please do so. Now, it's on to watch Alien Adventure.

Lannie Lorence

Stunt Coordinator
The 3d is indeed great. However, I should warn you, since you mention the coaster, that it is not as effective as the theater. The huge ferris wheel that looms ahead just isn't as impressive shrunk down to TV size. And the collision isn't nearly as suspenseful, since you don't see the oncoming car as far back or as clearly as on an imax screen.

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
I finally received the Ultimate 3-D Box Set as a late (backordered from Amazon) x-mas gift. I am totally amazed at how awesome the 3-D effect are. I have only watch part of "Encounter in the third dimension" so far. I can hardly wait to watch the rest. The 3-d setup is vary easy to hookup. Anyone that enjoys 3-D should pick this up.

I hope they make some more DVD for this feature.

Jeff_P

George Fogel

Agent
I just discovered this thread and am quite interested in this 3D system and would appreciate it if anyone with a copy could answer a few questions:

Do the 3D glasses use the same liquid crystal system that the IMAX 3D theatrical system uses?

What does the video synchronization controller hook into?

Thanks...

GregK

Screenwriter
Hi George,
The LCS glasses are similair to the LCS glasses used in
some IMAX 3-D theaters. However the IMAX LCS 3-D glasses
use a higher refresh rate, where as the home video field
-sequential format is "stuck" at 60hz, the set rate used
for NTSC video. If your contrast is set properly, flicker
shouldn't be a big problem.
As far as progressive scan & HDTV sets working properly
with field-sequential 3-D, see the older thread below:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=18687

Luis M

Second Unit
Has any of you who have purchase this dvd with the 3D system have a High definition tv?, I just read on the desrciption page of "dvdplanet.com" that this disc may not be compatible with HD tvs and I was just about to buy it. Damm it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks