What's new

I'm new here! need some opinions with SUB placement. (1 Viewer)

Steve.G

Agent
Ok, ive done my research but i really didnt have any other choice as to where to place my SUB. It never really bothered me until i started messing around with a SPL meter and set up everything to dolby reference. But I'm the kind of person that has OCD when it comes to things like this, and i noticed the bass sounded like it was canceling out and just didnt "feel" right when i had a bass heavy track playing. so i keep telling myself "it can sound better" only problem is i have NO ROOM in my basement for this sub! It's a SVS PB10-ISD. Am i really hurting the bass response by where i have it? I included some pictures, keep in mind im not a " audiophile" i mean i like great sound but i make due with what i have, LOL notice the 'rigged" speaker stand for my center and the surrounds on top of my old speakers. I had ceiling mounts for the surrounds but when trying to install one i hit a pipe LOLOL! so i had to make due.

OK sorry about the long post! anyways here is some pics. Can anybody think of anywhere else i can put this sub? even if it's in the same spot maybe angle it different so it snot directyl facing the couch? any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

* LOL n/m it says i have to post 15 times before posting pics?* Man! can i PM somebody the pics and they can take a look? or should i post 14 more times?

Charles-T

Agent
Where do you have the sub placed now?

Usually a good place to start is with the sub in a corner. If that won't work in you room, then maybe about 3' or so away from a corner, but up against a wall.

You could always place the sub at ear level in your listening spot, then crawl around the room by the walls and find where the bass sounds best, then place the sub in that location if possible.

Generally, it's best to keep the sub somewhere near the front of the room where the main channels are as to minimize phase shifts and cancellations between the sub and front speakers.

Steve.G

Agent
yea i know all that. It's just that im stuck with the sub pretty much in one spot, cause of the couches * shakes fists at having more then one couch, this is supposed to be just for us right?!?!?!* I was just wondering if anybody can think of a better place for me to put it. Please email me so i can show you some pics! or anybody else! Im not some troll who came here to post, im just stuck about where i can put this thing to get the maxmimun potential. It's hard to explain where i have it. I already have pictures where it's at. The sub is facicng my main couch, it has like 9 inches of space. Im sure one of you guys can think of a better place for it.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Well, the first thing to do is to check what your response curve really looks like with the sub where it is now. You can do this with a program like Room EQ Wizard (free and works with Radio Shack meter and computer) or with the Excel spreadsheet that floats around and a CD of test tones at different levels.

If you do that and are not satisfied, then a common placement technique is to place the sub at your seating position. Run some tests and move around the room to see where the sub sounds best. Then place the sub there.

If you are not satisfied with your current response and have no better options for placement, then you should consider room treatments and/or equalization, such as the BFD.

Steve.G

Agent
But the thing is i'm not a " audiophile" and if i start telling the wife i need to destroy the basement and have guys work on it, while i keep putting off the extension to kitchen she wants , well then that wont work if you know what im saying :P I just want you guys to see the pics i have and just try to "wing it" Like let me know the best direction or spot i can put this on. I did the bass response thing when you sit on the floor LOL only problem is the best bass comes from right under the stairs, and wifey would LOVE that! tripping on sub woofer while coming downstairs to get into the other room to do laundry. LOL

Steve.G

Agent
I already know that im not getting the best bass response where i have the sub. I need help! LOL

A few more posts then i should be able to post some pics.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
People might be able to offer suggestions, but it's really just a crap shoot from just looking a pictures. Nobody here will be able to tell you the best placement for your sub based on a picture or a drawing of the room layout. There are too many variables involved.

Again, if moving it is not really an option, then consider room treatments or equalization. This will not require destroying the basement or having guys work on it. Treatments are bass traps that are usually placed in the corners. You can make them yourself and not spend too much money. Purchasing a BFD (as small rack-mount piece of equipment) will run you less than $100 and provide you with parametric equalization to smooth out your response curve. It's great that you "know" you aren't getting the best possible bass, but without plotting your response curve (which is free, it just takes a little time) there's no way to know if you're wasting your time or not. You have to know where the peaks and nulls are in order for the BFD to have any effect.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I wonder though if he builds bass traps will he have a good place to put them? Bass traps need to be fairly large to do any good, if there's no place to move the sub then I wonder about traps. I had a PB-10 prior to just upgrading to the PB-12 ISD/v, had mine in a corner about 1.5 feet out with a 16 inch bass trap behind it. I'll try and post a pic....

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Here it is, off to the left, this pic is with the PB-10. I basically also have no choice, it has to go there in the left corner.

Steve.G

Agent
Hey thanks for all the help and suggestions everybody!

Wow thats one sweet set up blaine!

See mine is facing a couch like yours. Thats what i was worried about. The speaker is like 10 inches away from the couch. Is that how yours is facing? also i have mine off to my right side facing my right ear, back where my surrounds are. The whole thing i was worried about was if i would be better off just facing the sub twoards the back wall? i was going to kinda have it cornered facing the open room but i heard thats a bad idea. So i pretty much only have a few options, unless i just put it in the middle of the room somewhere. The way this room is i have NO ROOM to put it up in the front with my mains.

Then again like i said im not stressing over this. I would just like to hear what you gusy think. And that if im killing the bass by having it so close to my couch.

Once again you guys have been a great help! LOL even without my pictures.

Steve.G

Agent
Since i have a few more posts to kill i don't want to just flood the topic with nothing so i thought of another thing to talk about. the damn phase! LOL i been messing with it for weeks now!! I read up on EVERYTHING on setting it. I know spl dont do anything when it comes to phase. So i just try to do it by ear. Like i will play a bass heavy track and feel and listen to the bass until it sounds well blended. When i have the phase all the way up its when the bass sounds more responsive and plays the highs, then again it sounds muddy and well.. "overdone" im sure this has to do with room acoustics but who knows. I have it set at the half way mark right now. But it keeps killing me thinking it's still not "in phase" LOL told you i have OCD with this stuff.

Also should sub vomlume be set around 5 Db's higher then the mains? or is this just personal preference? It's so hard getting a steady ready with the SPL meter, that damn needle is all over the place once the SUB hits.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

3-5dB above the mains on the SPL meter is pretty normal. What are you using to test with? It's pretty easy to get the meter steady if you are using test tones. Also, do you have a calibration disc like Avia? If so, that will help you set the sub (steady test tones) and also set the phase correctly.

Steve.G

Agent
Yea bro! I got the avia calibration disc. But I hate how there is no test for DTS. Once its calibrated in Dolby digital is it pretty much the same for all sound fields? I noticed some DVDs have the THX optimizer. Is that BS tho? I mean the sound levels are sooo way off after i calibrated and tried it with the THX optimizer.

Steve.G

Agent
Also i just thought of something why im getting crazy readings. My couch ends and my front right speaker sound is bouncing off the wall (there is no part of the couch there) Yet my left is level with the couch and must be getting cancelled out cause of the couch? and the other speakers soundwaves are bouncing off the wall maybe? it's probably why i notice such a hollow sound when testing the level of my right front speaker. Does that make sense or do i not know what im talking about? LOL. Again there is really nothing i can do about it i guess. Sorry if i sound like such a n00b. I'm new at all this.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
your post count is 11. You were looking at the post count for this thread, which includes everyone lese's posts in here.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Once you've calibrated using Avia (which is using Dolby Digital) it should be set for all sources through that same input. So the only way DTS should be different is if you use an outboard DTS decoder that then runs into 6 analog inputs on your receiver.

Steve.G

Agent
*hops out of delorean*

Doc?

I'm back. Still not sure about my sub placement! I should be able to post some pics soon FINALLY of where i have it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks