What's new

I'm getting that feeling I made a mistake (1 Viewer)

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased some Energy A2+2 mains and a EXLC2 center. I'm starting to feel like I made a mistake and should have shelled out the extra cash for the AC-300.
Things sound Ok but I think that when watching TV it sounds a little better when in Stereo only.
I've had the speakers for about two months. The mains were a demo and the center was brand new.
Question: Do I have to wait for the center to break in a little more?
I need to be told this setup is just fine to calm the little demons that are nagging me. Upgrading is my option, but I don't think it would be in the wife's field of view.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
See if playing with the positioning/setup improves things. If stereo-only sound better than L+C+R, then try fiddling with your center channel setup. Is it on top of the TV? Try pulling it out so that it's about an inch or so in front of the TV's surface. Try tilting it down to face the listening position. Try isolating it from the TV by using some kind of feet under the speaker - vibrations from the speaker cabinet could cause your whole TV to vibrate, this would definitely affect the sound.

Steve_D

Second Unit
What processing mode are you using to watch TV?
I think DPL does not sound very good on normal stereo TV broadcasts, too much emphasis on center channel, which is part of the reason for DPL II. I use my Denon "Matrix" Mode for TV and it sounds better than Stereo (and much better than DPL). In fact, I would not be surprises if Denon "Matrix" processing is somewhat close to DPL II.
I know it can't be an inferior center channel (for me) as I have identical Paradigm Studio 40v2 across the front!
If your center channel feels "inferior" in DD or DTS, then I would say it probably is time to look at tweaking placement and/or upgrading....
Hope this helps
------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by Steve_D on July 19, 2001 at 03:21 PM]

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
Sourav, I have the speaker placed just above my TV on a shelf make to connect my two cabinets located on either side of the TV. There are little rubber feet on the bottom of the speaker. I'll try pointing the speaker down a little toward the listening position.
Steve_d, I have a Marantz receiver and it aslo has a Matrix mode. I think it does sound a little better. I have no complaints on DD. I think I'll try Matrix for a while.
Thanks.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
While I've never heard the centre you have I've lived with the RVS and spent a lot of time with the AC300 and I can atest to how good the AC300 and 2+2's sound together. Thats not to say the centre you have now won't but the AC300 is a great speaker
------------------
http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew, you don't have the AC300 sitting around since you're upgrade do you?
I called A&B and they would let me upgrade, but the guy said they let the computer figure out how much I paid for the center. This is because I worked out a deal for the mains and the center at once. I'm thinking things won't work out to well going this way.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Jim no I sold my RVS some time ago. I thought A&B had an AC300 sitting on the demo shelf when I was last in there.
------------------
http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Jim: I'd upgrade to the AC300 in a minute.
When I got approval for a new speaker system from my SO, I did a lot of auditions. I focused on just the sound from the center speaker with the theory that it was the most-used speaker.
The AC300 was very impressive. An Energy system was my first choice for several weeks. The DefTech center that finally won my heart (and credit-card) was only slightly better (and I'm not sure if it would come out better if I could do a A/B comparison).
So if anyone knows a supply of blowout-priced Energy AC300 center speakers let me know. (I think 3 of them would be a great front speaker array for a second room).

J

John Morris

Jim: I've been saving this for my bedroom upgrade to 6.1, but you sound like you have more of a need than I do. I know where you can buy a pair(sorry you can't buy only one)of Energy RVS-2 Speakers for $399(USD). I believe that the RVS and the AC-300 speakers are musically identical and cosmetically identical except for the Energy grill emblem. These speakers are brand new and come WITH the Energy 5 year warranty. This B&M shop is in the USA so shipping and import fees will need to be added to the $399 price. Here is a link to download the PDF Brochure on the RVS speakers. Let me know if you want the web address or the phone number.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
[Edited last by John Morris on July 19, 2001 at 07:06 PM]
[Edited last by John Morris on July 19, 2001 at 07:07 PM]

J

John Morris

Jim: If you don't mind used gear and a center channel without a grill, here is another option that I found... AC300
Good Luck!
------------------
Take Care,
merc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks