What's new

I'm getting a Mac (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
...and my $4k machine is still in the shop.

I am really liking my mac experience.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Or: bad drivers. And the Mac has the advantage here because there are fewer hardware permutations.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
This is what I like about Macs, they have a centralized application for updating all the drivers in the system. I did have 2 issues with this before in the workplace on a G4 & G5 but for the most part it's a godsend.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I ended up buying a used emac off of ebay for $400. The seller had +1 feedback so potential buyers were steering clear which kept the price down. I figured that if it was a scam that I could probably get my money back by disputing the charge thru my credit card company so I decided to take a chance. A week later it arrived as advertised :)

This Apple eMac was purchased in 2004 and has barely been used.* It is in EXCELLENT condition and comes with all the extras.* It is a 1GHz, 384MB, 80GB , G4 processor and has a SuperDrive (CD/DVD Recordable).* It comes with itunes, iphoto, imovie, OS*X and many others.* It is a 17" monitor (flat CTR display) with low glare.

I don't have any experience using a Mac so this thing is going to take some getting used to..........

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A $4000 PC that is unstable after several months in the shop is a sign of bad hardware. The builders screwed up, or Ron is running unstable software.
I don't know why they didn't just buy him a new system and get on it with it. Unless they're sitting on his machine, ignoring it, they've certainly burned through the $2500 in actual hardware costs to build a new one with stable hardware.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Carl,
For 599 you could have had an Intel based Mini Mac... That is brand new...

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too -- granted, you'd need a monitor too, but the difference in performance/ability between the two machines is HUGE. My Intel Mini (which isn't even the latest model), completely blows out of the water my old dual processor (1.25GHZ) G4 tower.

To start with, you need to upgrade the memory on the eMac, preferably to 1GB.

Ted

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I was a mouse click away from paying $740 for a new Mac mini that was upgraded to have the combo drive but when a DVD enabled eMac made itself available for half that price I figured that it was worth a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks