What's new

IGN gives Eternal Darkness a 9.6! (1 Viewer)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Man this game is FREAKING me out! You get your sanity level down really low and it is downright crazy! You all are gonna love it! :)

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
I only got a chance to play through part of the first level with the centurion last night, but...
too.... freaking.... dark!
Yes, yes, I know the game is called Eternal Darkness, but damn, I'd be examining objects on the wall and my monitor just shows black. Extremely frustrating.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Well, the Gamecube renders more dark pixels per frame per second than the Xbox or PS2. You see, this is a technical feature showing off the power of Nintendo's little box.
:)

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
heh. :)
Ah well, just means it gets far less playtime than other games, since I have to wait till everyone goes to bed at night, so I can turn off all the lights in the house, since that's the only way to actually see anything.

Craig A

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, there is a brightness adjustment feature in the game options...
But I only play it in the dark too :)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
From Gamespot:
Celtic compositions that bear a striking resemblance to the work of groups like Dead Can Dance.
Ah man, this is that small 'final nudge' into 'must-buy' territory. Now if only I had a GCN... :D
The fact that ED:SR's movement differs from the swivel/aim control scheme of survival horror is a real plus. I mean, a real plus.
-j

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
The only time I had darkness problems were when i was coming to the end of a hall or cave and it was going to transition, so there was nothing there anyways except...lack of light

Willy burz

Stunt Coordinator
I played some at my buddies the other night, and if you don't know already.... IT'S A MUST BUY, SIMPLY AN AMAZING GAME!

BorisM

Stunt Coordinator
Just to be clear, this is a great adventure that I would recommend to every gamer out there, especially the ones with home theaters. This title uses DPL2 better than any game out there. If you can turn up the volume a bit when you play, then the surround sounds will actually scare you. In just the first 3 hours I actually got up off the couch to go into another room in my apt to check what was going on, until I realized that it was just the game playing tricks on me. I have yet to be scared by a video game, but this one has already succceeded twice in the first few hours.
Unfortunately, I hazard to say that if you do not have a surround sounds DPL2 setup and you play with the light ON, then this game may not be as scary. The gaming environment is critical for maximum pleasure. It is almost a bit masochistic in delight.

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
the bathtub scene
really got me good... also some of these insanity effects are pretty funny, i kinda wish it would be more shocking like flashing really messed up things on the screen, but i havent really been playing it long, most of the insanity effects didnt really fool me, except casting a spell and your head explodes. and reloading the gun and you shoot yourself
i knew about that one before it happened but it still shocked me since i wasn't expecting it, oh and the random clicking in the rear channel gets me looking over my shoulder every time...

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
The yells and crying in while going insane creep me out. I also just saw one with bugs crawling on the screen, but above the game image so as to look like on the tv screen. It looked cheesy but I know the effect they were going for. Also in the mansion some statue heads will move and follow you.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Someone mentioned how secret this game was kept...

But I'm not sure which was a bigger secret: this game or Raiden from MGS2...

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Mike Alleto,

IGN just posted a Q&A. Here is one of the questions:

Question: I've gone through the quest pretty quickly to this point. It's taken me 3-5 hours. How can the game be something like 20 hours long for the average player if I'm halfway through?

Answer: You're not halfway through the game. Chapters begin to get more complicated, there are always more things to do as Alex, which breaks up the chapter, but if you're using an FAQ like this, of course the game will move more quickly. But, don't worry. You still have a LOT of ground to cover even after finishing the first five or six chapters.

Apparently those later chapters are going to take up the remainder of that time. Let me know how long it took you in the end. I'm not gonna have allot of time to play this weekend and I'm curious on the length of the game...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks