What's new

IGN gives Eternal Darkness a 9.6! (1 Viewer)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
By static I mean that the backgrounds do not move and the camera itself is in a fixed position... (I think what I said is redundant, but you get the picture now)

Anyway, I read the review, and will most definetly return RE. I do think the gameplay is on the weak side... it's not what I was hoping for.

ED on the other hand sounds like a much more involving game, and one I can get into.

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
things I like about ED so far:

1. has 16x9 mode
2. does not look like any on screen health meters or life bars( from all the pics I seen). Anyone else notice this?

Time to hook it up to the 50 inch widescreen tv.

Eric Nees

Agent
If I remember correctly, the game has some static backgrounds, but the camera does pan around. It's not one angle per room or anything like that. The camera work is actually getting a fair bit of praise.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I heard the camera is like Devil May Cry. It's in a fixed position at some places, but it will rotate and such.

Resident Evil had 2-D backgrounds. They were prerendered images, not 3-D polygon models. ED uses 3-D backgrounds with single position cameras (though they aren't fixed).

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I was kind of on the fence about this title, but after seeing the score IGN gave it may persuade me to pick it up tomorrow. Some of the 'tricks' the developers put in sound downright nasty.

Willy burz

Stunt Coordinator
I WANT THIS GAME!! BUT... I'm still tag teaming my NBA 2k2 season, RE, and Spiderman on the CUBE.
Dang with this game and Star fox, and Metroid Prime, and Zelda, and 1080.... OH MY LORD, CUBE GOODNESS IS JUST BEGINNING. :D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
More high marks for Eternal Darkness. Gaming Age have their review up and gave the game an "A":
Eternal Darkness is a keeper. It’s the best game on the GameCube and the best game I’ve played in a very long time... Nintendo and Silicon Knights have created the best reason to own a GameCube. I give this game the highest recommendation available. Don’t skip out on this one! It’s all in the details.
source:Gaming Age
Link Removed

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Oh, how I'm looking forward to this one! I have not played a seriously deep, involving, complex 3-D game in quite some time, so Eternal Darkness comes at a good time. I've read the review over at IGN (after signing up for the free 7-day trial) and realized that I actually don't know much about this game at all. I know about the insanity meter and that the game takes place over the course of many centuries, but that's about it. I actually think that I'm more excited about it because of that. I know that there's just so much stuff to discover by actually playing the game. I'd hate to ruin anything now by reading any spoilers.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
That's the neat part, Jeffrey. Silicon Knights went out of their way to keep this game very secret in order to preserve the mystery and plot twists. Even the Roman Centurion's level from the various trade shows was completely mocked up for the shows, that particular level isn't even in the game.
I think that's secrecy preservation above and beyond the call of duty ;). And considering that of the twelve playable characters I believe five have been mentioned in total...
I've been dying to play this sucker since it was announced, I can't wait to pick it up in the next couple days. Mind you, I managed to catch scarlet fever, but I have a very reasonable girlfriend who will go and purchase it for me :D.
Oh, did anybody else check out the short films made by various people as part of that contest? Some of them are well-done and very freaky...

Andre F

Screenwriter
Thanks. I'm headed over to check out the review now. I'm not really into horror games but all the buzz about this one has got me ready...
-Andre F

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
GameSpot's review is up, they give it a 9.4. Catch it while it's free ;). Nice long three page review as well, but be careful! If you're trying to avoid spoilers, they give away a few more of the characters you'll play as then I would have liked.
You can still be saved however, by avoiding such spoilers :p). They're pretty good about not revealing the plot though.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I just got it tonight, took advantage of ebgames free next day shipping on preorders a little while back, but get this. They shipped me 2! Same order number, it clearly says 1 on the order. And I only got charged for one. They even shipped it in 2 different boxes, 2 different fedex tracking numbers, but same exact packing slip. Sent them an email and I'm going to have them ship me something to send it back in (I ain't paying to ship it back, its their fault).

Anyways...been playing it for the last hour or 2, its kinda cool. I am stuck in the area with the telescope room. So when someone gets there what am I supposed to do? There doesn't seem to be any hints or if there were I missed them since I was talking on the phone when I first got into the room.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I am so getting a job tomorrow wodis. I want this game so badly now man/girl (if you think I'm sexist..)!!!

-Bert

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think we all pretty much know whats good and bad about this game. I'm gonna try not to read reviews so as not to read spoilers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks