What's new

If Your Expensive 3D Display gives Out, Will You Buy Another? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've invested a ton of money on 3D home viewing, and own 210 3D Blu-rays. I paid $1,600 for my LG 65" OLED display four years ago, and it was the very last LG model to include the 3D feature. It will, I assume, go bad at some point. If I can replace it, even with a refurb that is roughly equivalent to what I had, will I? Well, if I get another government stimulus check at around the same time, perhaps. Otherwise, I fear I am screwed.

And you?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I will buy a projector and screenie once I buy a house and do all the things I need to it. OH, and washer and dryer. I've been a 3Der since I was a kid. I hope the next gen of 3D shows up soon. so far my Samsung keeps chugging except for blacking out now and then for up to 5 seconds. A problem with the model I think. It's a 7 series 65".

OT: btw, came in looking for discussion of the Godzilla vs kong 3d release. I read it's going to be on HBO maybe? Wondering about our 3D blu ray. Sure need my dimensionals on that!

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
My 65” LG OLED had a burn-in problem I couldn’t fix so, after 3+ years, I ditched it for...another 65” LG OLED (it’s a gorgeous picture) but also splurged for an EPSON Home Cinema projector and an Elite 100” tripod screen. Best decision I made. I don’t have to lose sleep about my TV dying, and setting up the screen for 3D night (or, to be honest, pretty much every movie night, now) takes a couple minutes.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Although I have a working plasma 3D set (which uses the active technology which is inferior to my OLED's passive technique) which I use as backup for my OLED 3D TV, I will get a projector once the OLED meets its maker.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My first 3D set was a plasma in 2012, and then I got a 3D capable projector in 2014. The plasma died after they stopped making 3D TVs, so I’m down to just the projector now. It is my intention to keep using 3D projection as long as it’s available.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
My 65" LG OLED is not allowed to die until another OLED with 3D is produced.

I try to keep hours of use down by only watching 3D and 4k content on it, and use a smaller 4K LED for everything else.

But if the prohibited day comes I will look into a 3d projector and screen. I'll have to figure out how to work that into my condo space. My preference would be to be pleasantly surprised by a new generation OLED model released with 3D. Wishful thinking /on. I paid plenty for this one (early adopted) so, LG... want to sell a new generation premium OLED with 3D? Customers here willing and waiting. I think OLED and it's passive 3D and true black blacks have been perfect for 3D presentation.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
But if the prohibited day comes I will look into a 3d projector and screen. I'll have to figure out how to work that into my condo space.
What you'll need is a short throw projector that does 3d.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have a feeling anyone hoping for displays to adopt 3D technology anytime soon are going to be gravely disappointed.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Like many who enjoy and seeks out 3D content, I am no stranger to disappointment. But I never stopped hoping.

In today's globalised world, there's no reason that a small niche cannot be catered to. There are billions of people out there who never even had the opportunity to buy into 3D when 3dtvs were on the market. Aside from that it didn't reach all markets. In time there will be a whole generation that missed out. Only a small percentage of them have to care. The physical cost of adding 3D to tvs is modest, and in coming years, patents will expire. The opportunity is there. This is why 3D always comes back.

I have no intention of replacing my current 3D hardware with anything other than superior 3D hardware. I have no intention of disposing of my 3D-Bluray library. If the hardware gives up I will get by with head mounted displays or projectors, but I'll find a way.

MikeDE

Second Unit
When my 60” LG plasma went out last May, I scoured the local online sites until there was a listing for a 65” Sony for sale. The owner had no interest in 3d and had never opened the glasses. Expensive, but I bought it. There Is quite a bit of flickering at times, but I've learned to live with that. When this one goes, it’ll be a headset display, as there is just no room for a projector and screen. If anyone were to put out a new 3D TV, I would snap it up in a heartbeat.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I won’t be thinking about 3D when I replace my current 3D-capable projector.

But I’ll be sure to offer up the projector and set of 4 glasses here for enthusiasts that might want it. :)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
A question for those who live in apartments. Is a projector a viable option?

Living room is 13x17

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
A question for those who live in apartments. Is a projector a viable option?

Living room is 13x17
As Josh says, living in an apartment shouldn't be any barrier to a projector. I also live in an apartment with my living room/HT room about the same size as yours. I've had a projector for nearly 15 years now and love it. There's really nothing to it. To mount the screen, you'd need to make a couple holes in the wall, but that's no different really than hanging pictures. If you need to move, just patch the holes with some filler.

My most recent (Optoma HD29) is 3D capable. If it dies, I'll look for another 3D option. I'm hopeful projectors will have this ability for years to come, as I'd think (guessing) that it costs less to add 3D capability to a projector than to a large screen TV where it's my understanding they need to incorporate special glass/layers into the screen. In the projector, it's all processed inside the unit then projected without the need for a big screen with special glass/technology built-in.

A couple pics of my setup. I use the 13' width of the room, with the screen and projector about 12' apart. When projected on the gray screen, pic is about 90" or thereabouts (1.85).

projector.jpg
screen.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks