What's new

If Your Expensive 3D Display gives Out, Will You Buy Another? (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For setting up a projector in an apartment, the most important consideration is just that you can’t do the things a homeowner can do when setting up a home theater, like moving a wall or such. So it’s just important to do your research ahead of time and to make sure the projector you get fits the space you do have. To that end, Projector Central’s website has a calculator that shows what image size you’ll get from which model at what placements.

The next thing to consider in my opinion is how long you you plan to stay in your current apartment space. The reason I mention that is that some projectors have a lot of placement flexibility while others have a much more narrow range of where they can be placed in the room to get the desired result. If you’re going to stay in your location for 5-10 years, flexibility doesn’t matter. If you might be moving in a year or two, having a projector that offers more placement flexibility will be more important. From my experience, a lot of the Epson models offer a tremendous amount of flexibility and that’s one of the reasons I’ve stuck with that brand. BenQ makes some great machines but some are more limited when it comes to placement; I personally didn’t want to get a unit that worked in one location but might have been troublesome in another, so that was a big part of my research.

In terms of setting up the projector, a ceiling mount isn’t necessary - a good sturdy bookshelf will do nicely. And as far as screens go, there are a lot of options there. A pull down fastened to your wall is probably the simplest. Elite Screens also make a variety of portable floor standing models - if you live in a place where you can’t hang something on a wall for whatever reason, check out their options to see if one of those might work.

Apartment projection is very doable. The key as best I can tell is simply research and planning. Measure twice, cut once.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Can you buy a 3d display device in 2021? Sure. It's delaying the inevitable and you will get less than 10 new releases ever again, but you do you.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Projectors are a niche market. 3D is a niche market. Adding 3D to projectors is a minimal expense. I don’t anticipate that being dropped overnight, in much the same way that new BD and UHD disc players are still compatible with it.

I’m not concerned about new releases that haven’t been made that haven’t been seen by anyone yet. I’m concerned about retaining the ability to play the 3D content I already own. My concern can’t be the hypothetical future. I just don’t ever wanna have to watch Guardians of the Galaxy 2 or a handful of other favorites in 2D.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Can you buy a 3d display device in 2021? Sure. It's delaying the inevitable and you will get less than 10 new releases ever again, but you do you.
Only 3-D projectors are available in 2021. Once my LG OLED65E6P goes then I'll be down to my plasmas Samsung 8500 and my spare Panny VT-50 display for 3-D movies. I'll buy a new OLED without 3-D capability to replace 65E6P model as I have no interest in purchasing a projector. I hardly watch any 3-D movies now anyway and stopped purchasing 3-D discs a couple of years ago.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I bought a 75-inch LG when they announced their new TVs would not have 3D, it has been working well but my next display will be a projector if that's the only option available then. Dropping a capability is never a good thing. There's plenty of reasons why 3D didn't catch on with the mainstream, but leaving those who did buy into it with movies they can no longer watch is unacceptable.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just uninstalled my 8 year old 80” Vizio 3D tv for a new 85” 4K Vizio.
I’ll miss 3D but I’m happy with 4K.

Im sure most of my several hundred 3D discs will still play in 2D and I’ll be replacing what I can with 4K digital copies anyway.

Anyone want to be my old tv.
:’j

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
$400-500 can you buy an epson 3D projector and then cheap RF emitter glasses.

projection+RF emitters is best way to experience 3D. i've never liked "smaller" than 100" for 3D projection and non-RF. it just all pales in comparison.

Amerkin

Grip
Real Name
Dennis Palla
Will definitely continue with 3D, as I still believe a properly set up 3D display is the best video presentation available. I would love to see a Sony OLED in 3D and would definitely buy one. I’ve never been a fan of commercial theater 3D (too many focusing and boundary issues) but home theater 3D on a LG OLED with passive glasses, oh yeah.

tns49

Agent
Real Name
Timothy
If one was available, of course. Really disappointed that at least one manufacturer doesn't understand that there is still at least a limited market they could fill. Currently my LG OLED65E6P is my main set. But i still have two samsungs (2012 models) that support 3d. These sets are rarely used these days but would be pressed into service. Like many Blu-ray 3-d fans I have a large collection of 3-d discs. As good as 4k is it does not beat a well done 3-d Movie.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If one was available, of course. Really disappointed that at least one manufacturer doesn't understand that there is still at least a limited market they could fill. Currently my LG OLED65E6P is my main set. But i still have two samsungs (2012 models) that support 3d. These sets are rarely used these days but would be pressed into service. Like many Blu-ray 3-d fans I have a large collection of 3-d discs. As good as 4k is it does not beat a well done 3-d Movie.

It might be that manufacturers simply concluded what little market remains for 3D can/are largely flocking to front projection, and near as I can tell, just about all decent PJs (still) support 3D, even plenty of $500-800 entry level ones (do it quite well) -- for instance, every such BenQ model (and probably all their main competitors) in the last decade does AFAIK (and I've owned 2... before recently jumping to an Epson 5050UB to add 4K and other features).

Like a few others mentioned, personally, I don't see much point in bothering w/ 3D for movies on a small-ish (ie. non-immersive) screen. For a 65" to feel immersive enough to me (for 3D), I'd probably have to be the only viewer sitting maybe 6ft away.

IF you can make it work in your space, it may be best to go w/ both: (inexpensive, if budget-constrained) FP for 3D and anything else you want the bigger screen to go w/ the smaller OLED for everything else (you want the OLED benefits)...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks