What's new

If Your Expensive 3D Display gives Out, Will You Buy Another? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It might be that manufacturers simply concluded what little market remains for 3D can/are largely flocking to front projection, and near as I can tell, just about all decent PJs (still) support 3D, even plenty of $500-800 entry level ones (do it quite well) -- for instance, every such BenQ model (and probably all their main competitors) in the last decade does AFAIK (and I've owned 2... before recently jumping to an Epson 5050UB to add 4K and other features).

Like a few others mentioned, personally, I don't see much point in bothering w/ 3D for movies on a small-ish (ie. non-immersive) screen. For a 65" to feel immersive enough to me (for 3D), I'd probably have to be the only viewer sitting maybe 6ft away.

IF you can make it work in your space, it may be best to go w/ both: (inexpensive, if budget-constrained) FP for 3D and anything else you want the bigger screen to go w/ the smaller OLED for everything else (you want the OLED benefits)...

_Man_
It is crazy you can get a good 3D projector for $500 or $600. My first screen, and projector was under a thousand dollars, and with the amount I have used my projector it makes all my high end TV purchases kind of a joke...as I still prefer the immersion of large screen projection (especially 3D).

With a backlog of over a thousand 3D movies available, and my current 3D collection I'd be wise to get another projector, which I planned on doing last year but suddenly money got tight and I had to abort that mission.

I love new tech, and old tech. I'm all about getting the maximum amount of enjoyment from my home theater experience, and 3D love it or hate it is still a huge part of that entertainment for me.

As long as 3D exists, I'll support it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Old tech huh? I still have working Betas, VHS, and Laser? Too sentimental to get rid of them.
I have 11 CRT's---6 of them NOS which I just tested briefly and look phenomenal. Two of the 27" models (one a high end HD model from Samsung) are going on the curb unfortunately...I just don't have the space anymore.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
1610750390478.jpeg

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
What does one do with 11 CRTs?
LOL! I realized after I posted it, makes me sound like a loon.
1610818672340.png

I promise you it isn't as bad as all that. Most aren't even in use (future proof) that I got for a great deal and are in storage.

I'll try and post some pics next week in the "Retro video games" thread.

usmc1488

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Musicant
I'm all in on 3D. I own about 20 3D movies, Sony 3D TV and enough hard ware for my family to.enjoy it. If and when the sony goes I'll buy the biggest newest sony I can find.

The sony tv also features 240 refresh rate that I love. Modern tvs have backed down on the refresh rate and to my eye don't look as good as the tv from a few years ago.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You're only $2,800 away from paradise. ;)

Two questions:
1) Does your wink emoji mean you disagree with the video’s conclusions?
2) The video shows the projector below and inches away from the screen. Is this accurate? I had no idea short throw could be that short.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Two questions:
1) Does your wink emoji mean you disagree with the video’s conclusions?
2) The video shows the projector below and inches away from the screen. Is this accurate? I had no idea short throw could be that short.
150" screen (max size recommended) from 16.7 inches - 100" screen at 7.2 inches. The intent is to work in rooms where you would normally use a tv.
I do not disagree with the conclusions I just can't justify the price...yet. (Darn it) But when my Optima goes........

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
150" screen (max size recommended) from 16.7 inches - 100" screen at 7.2 inches. The intent is to work in rooms where you would normally use a tv.
I do not disagree with the conclusions I just can't justify the price...yet. (Darn it) But when my Optima goes........
And does it work at such an extreme angle. Well, I guess it would have to, otherwise it would block the screen.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
And does it work at such an extreme angle. Well, I guess it would have to, otherwise it would block the screen.
Yea Johnny - that's the way that ultra short throw projectors work. They are designed to project from under the picture. My theater is also a guest room and I like a BIG screen so I went with an Optima 1080p short throw. It sits in a caddy on the floor that rolls away when we have guests. The Optima is not as extreme ( short throw not ultra) but I throw a 10 foot actual at about 5 feet. In my case the lens does cause some focus issues on the far edges of the screen - from what I can find out the VAVA doesn't do that but I haven't seen one live. One of the members of the HTF bought one and seems to be happy with it.

Correction - the guy that was talking Vava bought an LG

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just saw this thread, regarding the OP question, I have a Panasonic VT30 65” 3D set. About 2 years ago, it went poof! I did investigate a new OLED set, but the VT30 produces such a nice image still, and does do 3D and was only 6 years old, I thought it was worth repairing, I created a thread all about that if you’re interested. In the end, it was worth it to me to pay someone to diagnose the problem is make the repair. It was a power supply inside and cost me $600.00 or so. And the great thing was the guy made house calls so I did not need to have the set taken to a shop.

Makes me now think about maybe finally upgrading to an OLED or projector and save the Panasonic for lighter use to preserve it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yea Johnny - that's the way that ultra short throw projectors work. They are designed to project from under the picture. My theater is also a guest room and I like a BIG screen so I went with an Optima 1080p short throw. It sits in a caddy on the floor that rolls away when we have guests. The Optima is not as extreme ( short throw not ultra) but I throw a 10 foot actual at about 5 feet. In my case the lens does cause some focus issues on the far edges of the screen - from what I can find out the VAVA doesn't do that but I haven't seen one live. One of the members of the HTF bought one and seems to be happy with it.

Correction - the guy that was talking Vava bought an LG

No doubt there would be some compromises w/ such ultra short throw PJs. Physics demand them... but whether those compromises are significant for you is another story of course.

IF you want max quality/fidelity and don't have to resort to UST for your situation, probably best not go that route...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks