What's new

If you could change one thing... (1 Viewer)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Mark, I bet there will be a live Tool DVD when the new album comes out. It seems like a perfect time to market something like that.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
A couple of issues that aren't explicitly related to music production . . .

I dig your embrace of new technology, Peter Gabriel. You've said in an interview that you never want to work in stereo again. For Up, you made a Direct Stream Digital recording with multichannel in mind from the get-go and released it on hybrid SACD. For Play, you remastered more music vids than I've even ever seen for you before, including remastered sound in DTS 96k/24-bit sound. Awesome.

But it's taken too long. Please don't let it be 12 years before we hear a new studio album from you again.

And regarding my beloved Rush: please see Peter Gabriel on embracing new technology. Okay, okay--I understand, Geddy, that you've said in an interview that you don't see the band using multichannel sound for anything other than live recordings. I'll just have to deal with that. Okay, okay--I understand that there've been signifcant personal issues in Neil's life that have needless to say affected the band over the past five years. But how 'bout, oh, taking note of what Metallica has done and at least embracing DVD technology more? Lars, Hetfield & co. released a DVD with multi-angle goodies on it . . . back in 1997.

Rush has five titles that were released on laserdisc (two video compilations and three concert films). Only one of those has made it to DVD. Okay, okay--the rights are controlled by your previous label, but still--WTF?

-p

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
"Tool: Enough already, release a live DVD. 12 years worth of amazing shows and no live DVD?"

Same here. Also put the Lateralus music videos on the same DVD please :)

Slipknot: I liked your debut and Iowa, but this Stone Sour type stuff you guys are doing lately... It's not cutting it for me, all right? No sappy ballads on the next album please.

Daft Punk: A new album sometime this century would be nice!

Radiohead: Rock out more please.

Nirvana: If you guys put out another boxset, please put the studio version of "You Know You're Right" on it. I refuse to buy the greatest hits CD just for one song.

In Flames: Soundtrack to Your Escape sucked, so fix whatever is broken, all right?

The Hives: How about making an album that's more than a half hour long? It doesn't even have to be that long, how about... 40 minutes? I can deal with 40 minutes. 30 minutes is way too short for how much it costs to buy CDs these days.

Gorillaz: New album, maybe?

Franz Ferdinand: You know how you re-released your self-titled with a bonus disc right after I bought the original version? Yeah, I didn't like that.

Eminem: Please start rapping about new topics. I don't think anybody cares that you hate being famous and how much you hate your mom and love your daughter... Especially since every album after Slim Shady LP was about that.

Okay that's all my major gripping at the moment. :D

Edit: One more thing... Pig Destroyer... Magically put out another album RIGHT NOW. Terrifyer is so awesome and I need MORE.

MikeGee

Second Unit
Jesee i totally agree with what you wrote about Slipknot, radiohead, and nirvana.

I'd have to say to any band that is awesome then the singer decides to branch off and do somthing solo and it ends up being so damn trendy.. i dont like that
Gwen steffani did that to no doubt (who's old old albums were awesome) now she does pop music..

Metallica - Go back to the long hair and the in your face type music rather than this trendy go with the flow type music they are making.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Or at least please stop the trend of making note-for-note, riff-for-riff, inflection-for-inflection copies of the originals!

There's a cover of Prince's Darling Nicky floating around in which the guy even tries to do the exact same screeching sounds Price made! The only difference is that the new guy pronounces "masturbating" with a funny mid-west accent. Same deal with that Cure cover that is plaguing the airwaves.

These covers aren't original takes, they're note-for-note carbon copies. If you're going to make a cover tune, MAKE IT YOUR OWN! And radio stations, if you get more of these carbon copies, throw them away and play the originals instead.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

You can look at it in another way.
They were great because they liked to experiment and take chances.
By it's nature, experimentation doesn't always turn out. I have just about everything including 2 virgins, slectronic music, wonderwall, life with the lions etc.... Granted I have not played most in a decade and then for amusement of friends. But if they haven't tried to push the curve with those things I doubt if they could have been so great.
My minor bitch is Yoko on mainstream records or Revolution 9 on a Beatles record. Their solo experimental records were never meant for mainstream and that's why I defend them. But Yoko shrieking on the B side at live Peace in Toronto ruins a great live album with Clapton and Ringo. Revolution #9 would have been cool if it was a snipet like the snipets in Let it Be ; not a collage that goes on seemingly forever.
If todays burning techiques were available in my youth I would not have a problem.... in my youth Revolution #9 ruined many a good party

Joe Kamsan

Stunt Coordinator
R.E.M. - Should have broke up when Bill Berry left.

Blur - Should not have ignored their Brit-pop roots. I like their experimental, indie sound, but they could have reached a middle ground. They should take a listen to Graham Coxon's last album...it was pretty damn good.

Oasis - Have written a song titled 'Where did it all go wrong?' Fitting, really.

About Fountains of Wayne...I like the fact that they don't take themselves too seriously.:emoji_thumbsup:

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
There's only one album that has a lot of cover songs on it that I really like, Johnny Cash - American IV - The Man Comes Around. I'm listening to the cover of In My Life, I love it, the whole albums is great. If there was one person I would never change it's Johnny Cash.

Now for a few more if I could change one thing...

Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, and Modest Mouse (not so much MM but sorta) - Stop sounding a like. I like the Killers, each song is neat they have a 80's new wave-ish tone to them, but FF and MM are just boring, I bought MM's last album and I liked the single but the rest of it was just too weird for me. Now I admit I do like commercial sounding songs but you can be weird and write good songs at the same time. as Franz I hear Take Me Out too often, I was expecting to hear more like that, but eh. And the video's for MM and FF are too much alike too, I liked the video for the Killers - Mr. Brightside, but they all seem a little alike.

Barenaked Ladies - Stop trying to duplicate One Week. In fact just stop making music now, Maroon was an alright album, but that was the last one that was any good with good catchy songs on it.

To veer off into the country realm a little.

Big and Rich - Save a Horse (Ride A Cowboy) decent song, I like the differences between the voices but enough with the damn fake sounding banjo.

Vince Gill - make a new guitar album please? I know you can play, make some stuff like when you were with the Pure Prairie League and stuff like the Eagles, I know you can do it.

Gretchen Wilson - I know you're a Redneck Woman, what else do you have to offer?

I wish that there would be more collaborations like the Traveling Willbury's and so forth.

That's enough of ranting for now...

John McM

Second Unit

she listened to you somewhat... no Mirwais, but there will be Patrick, on the upcoming album

John McM

Second Unit
am I the only person who likes the Gwen Stefani album? My taste leans heavily towards dance-pop style music ala Madonna, Kylie Minogue, etc... and while I've bought Tragic Kingdom, Return Of Saturn and Rock Steady, L.A.M.B. has been the title that's spent the longest time in my player without me getting sick of it, and the whole album kicks IMO.

John McM

Second Unit
Madonna - ditch the Kaballah, it was kinda interesting seven years ago, but now that even Paris Hilton and Britney Spears have embraced it, it's time to move on to something new.

David Bowie - keep up the good work, Heathen and Reality is the best one-two punch of his career since Lodger and Scary Monsters.

Prince - work at a slower pace. Musicology was the biggest success of his career in over a decade because it's the first non-halfass album he did in some time.

Janet Jackson - how about tone down the sex stuff. People got tired of it with Madonna, and they're tired of it with you. Damita Jo was a good album but after the Super Bowl, people had their fill of "slutty" Janet.

Kylie Minogue - keep up the good work. Body Language flopped worldwide, but it was probably even a better album than Fever. And the two new songs from Ultimate Kylie are great.

Cher - can't wait for the rock album, but please make it unspotty. Both Believe and Living Proof were consistant albums, her late 80's rock albums had their great songs, but also had their share of crap.

Donna Summer - come on, deliver that new album already, it's been 14 years

Maroon 5 - I loved their album so much, but I kinda hope they tackle something new on the next cd, while maintaining some of the "Maroon 5"-ness to them. I don't want the next cd to flop.

Sade - release the new album already

ABBA - I know I know, a reunion is never going to happen, but since Agnetha and Frida have both recorded comeback albums in recent years, how about having Benny and Bjorn record and produce new songs for the girls as solo material?

Michael Jackson - respectfully call it a day, you've lost it regardless if you're guilty or innocent. And don't get mad when Eminem attacks you, you've deserved the attacks. You're a self-parody now.

Phil Collins - how about do an album for your old fans with very very little sappy soft rock, and go back to the early 80's Genesis/solo Phil we loved. You've been sucking so long that many people are beginning to forget that you were once good.

Elton John - how about spend less time complaining about other artists and make some good music. Songs From The West Coast was brilliant, but Peachtree road had just been "ok"

I like a lot of other acts, but don't really have one thing to say to them to change, LOL.

to MTV:
kill all the reality shows off, and while you're at it, begin phasing out hip hop music, it's getting bad when we're rooting for Britney Spears just because she's not hip hop, lol.

to Clear Channel:
get off the political kick, stop payola for the love of god. The US singles chart is absolutely pathetic now.

to Jennifer Lopez:
issue a formal apology for opening the pandoras box for the hip hop radio explosion of the past 3 years. as bad as I hated teen pop, I would gladly take the N'Sync/BSB era over today any day, and it's all your fault for killing pop and bringing hip hop over.

to Usher:
you're not Michael Jackson, "Confessions" is not "Thriller". Stop attacking other artists because you're on a roll now. In 10 years, "Confessions" will be about the same as Ace Of Base's "The Sign" is now.

John McM

Second Unit

how optimistic of you.

And sorry, not all singers have the artistic integrity of a Bono, Bowie, Dylan or Prince. There's a lot of other artists who if they had to choose between making timeless music, or resorting to a gimmick (ala bringing in a guest rapper, or something along those lines), there's a lot of acts like Jennifer Lopez and the sort who'll go the route that they see will make them $$$$$.

Steve Kuester

Second Unit
U2 - For the love of God, please bring Bono down in the mix. When he's belting out a chours, I can't hear anything else the band is doing.

Flaming Lips - Please release the Soft Bulliten (or just make it your entire catalog) on DVD-A with the same aggressive mix that Yoshimi received.

My Bloody Valentine - I'm not even sure you're all alive, but if so, please release another album. Also, please release Loveless in hi-rez.

Blue Man Group - On your next album, please have more instrumentals and fewer tracks with vocals. Don't get me wrong, I liked The Complex, but Audio was an absolute work of art. (If anyone cares, The Complex was released on DVD-A, but I'm thinking most people don't even know it exists in hi-rez)

Celine Dion - Stop, please?

I also would like to second (or third) the notion of asking bands to stop wearing their political affiliations on their sleeve. I'm sorry if this offends you, but I am interested in your music and melodies, not your utopian world views.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Agreed about Eminem ~ although Mockingbird off his new album is amazing.

Jay-Z and Linkin Park thank you for having the balls to put out an official Mash-up album. Collision Course was awesome and I hope other artists follow.
But Jay .. this is your second collaboration album (R.Kelly) since your retirement .. please either stop .. or, well, come back already. Don't go MJ On us.
LP~ Please come out with a new album soon!!!

(yeah I'm a young kid but I still have my opinions)

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks