What's new

If Batman ever comes to DVD.... (1 Viewer)

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
I'm really ticked that my kids are growing up w/o Batman, one of the few shows my parents let me watch and one I'd love to watch with my kids. Unbelievable and cruel. I can't believe they don't smell big bucks coming from these DVDs, and instead have the wacky notions Ron alluded to.

Pollute the franchise??? Heck, the 1966 Batman created the franchise for most of us (who didn't do the comics thing).

Holy rotten tomatoes, Warner! (and any other crazily culpable corporate chiefs).

Dan

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
are you guys sure that the hold up is some conflict of presentation (warner not wanting the image of Batman associated with the series..etc) or could it just come down to - if Fox is going to use trademarked material (names, characters, situations etc) then DC wants a good sized licencing fee for them and Fox, rather than letting DC extort the money, just told them to F- off.

rather than take a tremendous hit to the net profits, they are waiting to see if DC/Warner blinks and cuts a better deal at a future point.

seems to me, thats a more likely scenario of what is going on behind the scenes. its far easier for me to believe that these corporations care more about money than a properties image.

Kenny Neal

Stunt Coordinator
I've got to agree... it always comes down to what properties they think they can make money from. Someone (Warner/DC or Fox) isn't agreeing to the size of their potential cut, so the property just sits, gathering dust.

I can't accept it's an issue of Warner/DC having concerns over Batman's image. If anything, I think they'd like to take advantage of the synergy and release more Batman product now, while the franchise is relatively hot. But either they or Fox don't think the money is right, for now. Keep in mind the DVD release of Batman Begins will be another chance (though remote).

Remember, we've had the Batman movie (also coming soon to PSP), and two "behing the scenes" DVDs (Batmania and Return to the Batcave) released-- Warner/DC would have had to have given some sort of OK for those to come out. Which is why I can't believe it's an image issue.

All due respect to everyone's theories (mine included), but the reality is we don't have a clue why they're not releasing Batman. But it sure is a damned shame...

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I've always said that whomever is responsible for holding up the release of this show is not doing his or her job. Here's a property that is sure to be a success in the DVD market and someone's holding it up because they can't come to an agreement, and therefore not exploiting the value of one of the company's properties. Heads should roll simply due to the fact it wasn't released in conjunction with the new movie.

That said, many studios have been lax in releasing great shows of the 1960s -- Get Smart, the Man from UNCLE, etc. There are whole threads in this forum of unreleased shows.

Batman should be put together and issued in time for the show's 40th anniversary which is in 2006.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

See - here is my dilemma - while I think like you do, theres no way I would give up B:TAS for love or money. While I grew up on Adam and Burt, the Animated is just too good to pass up.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

I wish they would release the old Filmation Batman series, and the later one which had Adam West and Burt Ward doing the voices of Batman and Robin.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

Which, for all we know, might be the current plan.

I mean, we have no idea about anything currently going on, so we can hope that this might be a part of a plan between Warner/DC and Fox right now or in future months for the show's upcoming anniversary.

MichaelColvin

Stunt Coordinator

This is such a shame, because this series could be a *signature release* for these two studios. Obviously the demand is out there for the product. Well, I have plenty of time to wait, and as the DVD well gets tapped out, I think that this product will start to look better and better.

cheers, MIchael :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I know you guys want to be optimistic,
but I generally try not to bring down such
optimism unless I'm pretty confident
about my information.

However...

Never say never.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

I guess the question would be: who owns the rights? As far as I know, aside from Star Trek, BCI owns everything Filmation did. He Man, Bravestarr - but does that include the liscenced properties (Tarzan, Batman and so on)

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Never say never...

Ahh, Ron, hope springs eternal!!! Keep it up Ron, I know you chime in on a lot of Batman threads....

Let HTF know if we can be of any help.....

Thank you,

Dan

Clay_E

Second Unit

It's been stated before, I think, but as far as I know, the rights to all the DC Filmation stuff reverted to DC/Warner Brothers. I'd love to see a release of some of this stuff, particularly the Superman and Batman shows (and maybe even the Justice League as well).

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip

Yet they release SuperFriends to be sold on the shelf right next to Justice League.

And to those thinking that it might be DC causing problems, I doubt it. I mean, if WB wanted this series out, but DC didn't, well, WB would win. Plus, WB is all about pimping DC out right now, especially with the new logo and all....they're trying to get those characters and properties out more and more and actually taking an interest in their comic company.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I don't think the "Batman" series coming out on DVD has anything to do with Warner Brothers or DC Comics.

I think the "hiccup" is with the original producers' family and what the producers' cut should be in bringing the series to the home video market. ABC, which originally aired the show, also probably wants a cut from this.

Today, these rights to the producer and the original broadcast company are built in to the contracts that are signed for television series. Networks like ABC get a cut in the deal for home video in helping to recoup their expenses in purchasing the show from the studio.

When the "Batman" series first aired, home video rights were not even heard of back then, but now it is big business and everyone wants their fair share.

DC Comics and/or Warner Brothers' share would be easy to figure out. It is a part of normal business practices for broadcast rights for the characters. However, figuring out what the original producers' cut should be (in "Batman's" case: William Dozier and Howie Horwitz) and what ABC's cut should be is not so specific and exact.

If someone can correct my thoughts, please do so, but I'll bet I'm right.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure, but I don't think ABC would be entitled to a cut of the DVD profits. With the exceptions of shows produced and aired by the same company, I doubt that networks get a profit, unless they provide material.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Like I said, whatever the delay, this is just bad business. Not only are they missing out on the value of the property, they're encouraging people to seek out bootlegs -- that's what happens when something people want remains unavailable (look at the original Star Wars films, or see Bob Geldof's comments on the original Live Aid - he said he finally put the show on DVD because he was tired of seeing inferior copies being sold by bootleggers). To be clear, I do not advocate bootlegs. Rather, I am just pointing out the consequences of not working out a business solution to provide a product that many people want.

I have to think that clearer heads will prevail eventually and the show will come to DVD. I will be waiting and ready to get the sets as soon as they come out.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
I honestly don't believe it's because Warner doesn't want a campy show released, I mean they're releasing Adventures of Superman which is very campy, as was Wonder Woman, and they have no problem releasing those. Cause Warner is all about pimping what they can, and I could see them wanting to milk the Batman franchise by releasing the tv show on DVD to coincide with the DVD release of BB.

I'm wondering if it's not DC holding this up for some reason, maybe they do want a big cut of the profits or something :frowning:

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I don't think DC Comics has any objections to the campiness of the "Batman" TV series. When DC Comics celebrated their 50th anniversary in 1986, they put out a book called "50 Who Made DC Great." Adam West and Burt Ward were acknowledged in that book as people who helped DC Comics become who they are today. Yes, that was twenty years ago, but DC is smart enough to know that the "Batman" TV boxed set would help the rest of the Batman franchise, not hurt it.

Anything that helps get their character in the public's eye will help sales in other areas. It is basic economics.

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
Don't the companies involved in this have shareholders?
I mean if Ron is right (and of course he is) this is one of the most requested DVDs. Therefore, demand is huge, there could be a great profit, which gets passed on to the shareholders. I know if I was an investor and the "board" was making decisions that affected my bottom line I would apply pressure. That's the market system.

Has a petition been made? I doubt I would buy this series. But I hate seeing bad decisions ruining it for others who would enjoy it. I will probably buy the movie, I have great memories seeing it as a kid, second run in some cheesy theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks