What's new

If Batman ever comes to DVD.... (1 Viewer)

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy

To be honest I would'nt pay anything for B:TAS.
It's just not my Batman. I don't really like Superman: TAS, JL or "The Batman" either.

But I would however plunk down my $40-$60 for the Adam West Batman, Both filmation Batman shows (1966 and the 70's show with BatMite), and Superfriends. Basiclly anything pre-1989 is golden to me.

Kenny Neal

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I'd buy a complete run of the show too, no questions asked.

I never thought we'd see the movie on DVD, so it's not like it can't happen. But you'd think the suits involved would make this a bigger priority than it seems to be.

LizH

Second Unit

My collection would probably start at S2 ***cough*** The Batgirl era ***cough*** :D .

As much as I LOVE Dina Meyer, I thought Yvonne Craig was cool, too. :cool:

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
ElijahS is right, 3 seasons.

I want the show too! Was my favorite as a child, and now, I look it again on tv, and this is so funny!

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Who is actually holding up the release of the 1960's "Batman" tv series. Fox says it's not them. Warner Bros. says it's not them. Is it D.C. comics (or Time Warner) or creator Bob Kane's estate? Who do we write to to get this series released.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I don't think writing anybody will help. The cards are on the table by both sides (Warner/DC and Fox) and by now it's pretty obvious they can't or refuse to come to an agreement. Sounds like a power trip by both sides, with each side wanting a little more share of the pie than the other.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
The show DID last from 1966 to 1968. The first season was a midseason replacement of sorts, but given the dual episode nature of the show, the first season has as many episodes as (if not more than) a regular season.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
It's a shame that the parties can't come to a mutually beneficial agreement. Instead we get the parties strutting around like impotent beach boys telling us how tough they are in not reaching a agreement.

I would like to lock all the parties in a room, turn off the airconditioner and turn up the heat, then leave them there until they agree. That really is how frustrating it is. Everyone says not me but its obvious someone is lying.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

2006 will indeed be the show's 40th anniversary -- no better time to capitalize on the property.

Also, Warner just released special editions of Batman Forever and Batman & Robin -- far, far campier interpretations of the characters than the 60s show ever was.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
The problem is not the will. The problem is that you have typical overinflated Hollywood egos with Time-Warner and
Fox. Most normal people could work it out but everyone in
Hollywood struts around like impotent beach boys.

I would love to be optimistic but I'm not. I would also dearly love to be proven wrong with a 2006 dvd release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

I'll again tell you that I was personally told
by someone in a definitive position to know (you
can see I don't want to name my source) that the
release of Batman to DVD will probably never happen.

I am guessing that the talks between Fox and Warner
or DC Comics has stalled.

I am also guessing that Fox probably isn't the
problem here. This seems obvious. I am certain
Fox wants Batman out on DVD. It has to be amongst
their hottest TV property to date.

Now...

In this business, you can never say never. Things
may change. Let's hope they do. I just have to
reitterate what I was told -- and you can trust
the source was solid.

Tell you what...

I'll do some snooping around to see who is
specifically responsible for holding up the
release to DVD. Perhaps we can initiate a letter
writing campaign to show our support. I don't
know how much such a campaign will help, but
maybe it's worth a try.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Woah, hold the phone! While I wont try and argue for the Batman movies (Replace "camp" with "huge pile of steaming turds" and you'll get my take on 'em), the first two Supermans (Supermen?) were anything but camp.

Lackluster special effects? Remeber that whole "You will believe a man could fly" tag? They lived up to it in spades. Exaggerated acting? While I cant defend Otis, Crhistopher p0wned the title roll. There's never been a more difinitive Superman yet.

Retract your statment sir, or I shall have to insist upon pistols at dawn!

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Good luck Ron!

Count me in for a letter.

Let us know what you find out (I'd lobby for a sticky on this issue), and many thanks!

Thanks, Dan

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ron, seems I recall that Adam West was briefly interviewed in, I think, the latest issue of Sound & Vision magazine, and I seem to recall there being discussion about DVDs of this old series. Maybe my memory is a bit faulty here. Anyone have the issue nearby?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Hardly sounds like he says it's coming soon, but sounds like he was at least talked to by someone.

PS Count me in for a snail-mail letter too!

MattSav

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I'm still holding out hope for the Batman series. If Warner can negotiate with the Salkinds/Salkind estate to secure the rights to a special edition of Superman II* (something I thought would NEVER happen), then anything is indeed possible.

*supposedly due out this summer, 2006

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks