What's new

Idea for a new feature (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Can you come up with a feature that would let you enter the title of a movie. Then return pertinent technical data such as:

1. Whether it has/has not been released on DVD, or a VHS only title, or neither, for that matter.

2. Info on the DVD. How many different versions and the specs on each, OAR/P&S, Anamorphic or not, etc.

3. If the DVD, or a new version, is in the works, the latest official status could be here.

One, I would find this very helpful, personally.

Two, I think if this was well known, it would significantly cut down on the number of, (is this out?, when does it comes out?, etc.) types of posts in many of the forums.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I think this can be found in the various DVD d-bases that already exists on the net...

Try DVD e-tailers and Image's d-base for starters!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John,

Sorry but I don't see Ron or Parker going in that direction because as stated there are already enough sources for that particular information on the net. HTF is mainly a discussion board.

Crawdaddy

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
As was suggested, try Link Removed, and use the "Advanced Search" function in the upper right corner (just below the non-advanced Search field).

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
That is not a bad site, but it seems to still not be complete, I did the following advanced searches asking for ALL FORMATS, (all everything).

1. I did a search on Innerspace, which I'm almost positive was released on VHS, but hasn't been on DVD, but is in the works, and I got no info.

2. I also searched on Kiss Me Goodbye and got nothing.

3. I did a search on Crimson Tide and got no info on the new anamorphic SE, which, from posts in HTF, is supposed to be in the works.

4. I did a search on Beveryl Hills Cop and got info on all the newly released DVD's. But nothing about the pre-existing VHS. In fact, although ALL FORMATS seems as though it is supposed to include VHS, it seems searches never return info on them. Yes, I know DVD is the preferred medium, but it would be good to know if a given movie is out, but only on VHS. Then one could decide if they want that, or want to hold out for a possible DVD.

I just thought this is the best Home Theater related forum on the web, we ought to have the best, most up to date and complete listing of movies, here at our fingertips.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
At Image's site you must use the Advanced Search engine and SPECIFY that you are looking for VHS, or CD, or something else. It defaults to DVD.
Going beyond that, here's what Image posts as their "history":
Image Entertainment was founded nearly twenty years ago. The Company began as a trailblazer with the then technologically advanced laserdisc format, a 12" disc that predated today's DVD by over twenty years. Image Entertainment had acquired a 45% market share in laserdisc by 1995.
In 1997, the DVD format was introduced and Image Entertainment, practically overnight, transitioned from the now antiquated laserdisc to the new and technologically superior 5" digital versatile disc. With over 1,500 Image-exclusive titles in release, Image has successfully positioned itself as the leading independent supplier of DVD software in North America.
Based on this info, it's doubtful to me that they EVER distributed the VHS's you are describing. If they never sold it, it's probably not in their database.
It's not like the IMDB of home media or anything, but it's the best we've got! :D

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
John: Image Entertainment's site only includes titles that have been released or officially announced by the studio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks