I'd Love For Profit To Come To DVD

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jim Beaver, May 25, 2004.

1. Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver Supporting Actor

I never got to see this show when it was first on but ever since Ihead about it i've been dieing to see it. Recently I've heard that Stephen J Cannell might own it and since recently there has been talk of putting out anoather of his shows I think it's called Greatest American Hero is there any hope that Profit might be able to soon follow as this is probably my only chance to see this show.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

3. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Actually, it's only eight episodes: seven 1-hour installments and a 2-hour pilot (so, you could argue nine episodes, but not 10). Only the first four were shown in the US. The remaining four shows were aired overseas and on the Trio channel.

Another interesting note: the producer (MacNamara, I think his name was) was interviewed about the show (while it was still on) and apparently, he had a five-year plan for the series (similar to how a large corporation has a long-term business plan). If this series ever got to DVD, it would be interesting to have a segment on there outlining what storylines/situations the producers had planned for the series, including any ending (if they'd thought of one at the time).

A real shame Fox never gave this show a chance! Really wish HBO or Showtime had brought the series over to cable when there was still a chance. I think it could've been a hit on cable.

4. David Lambert

No. Video Store Magazine wrote what you quoted. I said so in my story, just above the quoted piece.

5. Jim Beaver

Thanks Dave.

6. Daryl Stovall

Daryl Stovall Second Unit

One of the producers of Profit a while ago who went on to work on Angel at one time was entertaining the thought of trying to resurrect the character as a lawyer for WR & H. That would've been so sweet.

7. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

This was one of those shows I -LOVED-. I thought it was one of the best concept shows I had seen, I would EAGERLY snap this up on DVD [​IMG]

8. Jim Beaver

I just read the aweesome news about some of Stephen J Cannell's other shows coming to DVD and I just had one question what about Profit? I really hope it comes as well.

9. AlexQuerter

AlexQuerter Auditioning

I posted a thread about a petition to get Profit on DVD hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=200731

The url for the petition is petitiononline.com/jpondvd/

Steve

10. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Always a little curious when us overseas folk see all the post-cancellation episodes as well, whereas in the US some eps remain unaired. I remember watching Profit back then, and it was certainly more than just 4 eps. Likewise, DC was also canned mid-season, and reading some ep guides on the net, I realised I had watched the unaired eps which the US reviewers had no information about. Also, Firefly is reaching the end of its broadcast run here, the most recent ep on TV being Heart Of Gold, an "unaired ep".

I wonder why US networks, when cancelling, don't air the remaining already-produced eps? Because they don't have to pay for them unless they are aired? Or because ratings are so bad they see no point in "wasting" the timeslot on a cancelled show and to get the replacement going ASAP?

Whereas for overseas sales, the producer is obviously going to sell everything he's got, and since we don't have TV seasons the way you do, it doesn't matter if the show "stretches on" anyway -- if you've bought it, you might as well air it and use it.

11. David Lambert

Profit is one of Cannell's personal favorites, so I have no doubt in my mind that it will come out. Anchor Bay wants to get the most popular titles out first, obviously.

12. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
  13. Deborah_T

Deborah_T Agent

This was one of those shows that I remember loving...but other then that, I don't remember much about it. Well...except for Adrian Pasdar [​IMG]

14. peggy

peggy Stunt Coordinator

I hadn't heard anything about this show coming out so now I am really excited to know we will get to see all the episodes. I couldn't believe it when they just stopped showing it because I thought it was really unique.

15. Jim Beaver

I haven't seen this anywhere yet. So I thought i'd post it. Amazon has the cover at up

[​IMG]

Which I gotta say looks really awesome. I can't wait to get this show!!

16. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Nice cover! The image they chose for the front cover is very much like the one I used on my custom-made covers I did for my VHS collection of all the episodes (I used the Entertainment Weekly advert from the premiere week).

Don't guess anyone knows a thing about extras yet, huh?

Still think it would be nice to include the produers' "five year plan" for the characters/show so we can see where everyone was headed (and to hopefully clear up the remaining loose plot threads at the end of the show, including the bit about Joanne's discovery in Ireland). Wouldn't take more than a few text screens, I should think, or a photo slideshow with a voice-over, perhaps by Padsar "in-character"...

Isolated music would be nice, too, and some producer commentaries (at least on the pilot), perhaps joined by Pasdar.

17. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

I missed the memo on this one!
    I was just at tvshowsondvd.com voting on series I want on disc and when I got to Profit .....there was little "x" indicating it already was.
    Just ordered it. [​IMG]

18. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

Just picked this up today... will dive into it later this week...

19. Jacob McCraw

Jacob McCraw Stunt Coordinator

I remembered loving this show during its run and being very disapointed when it was cancelled but I devoured the set this weekend and it's even better than I remembered! This is truly one of the greatest shows there has ever been! Highly recommended. [​IMG] [​IMG] I want more!

20. Will_C

Will_C Second Unit

Will
    It was a great show, definitely ahead of its time. I just finished watching the set last week and I really enjoyed seeing the eps that Fox didn't air nine years ago.

Oh that would have been cool. Or Adrian Pasdar as Hamilton. He's not as physically imposing as that Baldwin brother who played the part, but if he played it the way he played Profit, he could have projected a deadlier presence. Maybe even this: if we had ever seen the Wolf, the Ram or the Hart, Pasdar could have pulled off being a major evil demi-god. Whaddya think?