What's new

I, Tonya (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Allison Janney is my front-runner for best supporting actress at the Oscars this year for her work in this film as the mother of Tonya Harding.

So, the film has a playful nature in how it tells the tale of Tonya Harding, from her childhood years to her Olympic skating years, and all the way, of course, to “The Incident” involving someone cracking a baton on fellow skating rival Nancy Kerrigan’s knee to possibly improve Tonya’s chances for Olympic success.

Margot Robbie might snag a best actress Oscar nomination for her work. Kudos to the skating sequences and special effects wizardry to make Robbie’s skating look believable.

The film flows well, and will have you laughing in spots, and somewhat disgusted in other spots due to Tonya’s tumultuous relationship with Jeff Gilooly. Worth seeing at the matinees or evening showings.

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Allison Janet is my front-runner for best supporting actress at the Oscars this year for her work in this film as the mother of Tonya Harding.

So, the film has a playful nature in how it tells the tale of Tonya Harding, from her childhood years to her Olympic skating years, and all the way, of course, to “The Incident” involving someone cracking a baton on fellow skating rival Nancy Kerrigan’s knee to possibly improve Tonya’s chances for Olympic success.

Margot Robbie might snag a best actress Oscar nomination for her work. Kudos to the skating sequences and special effects wizardry to make Robbie’s skating look believable.

The film flows well, and will have you laughing in spots, and somewhat disgusted in other spots due to Tonya’s tumultuous relationship with Jeff Gilooly. Worth seeing at the matinees or evening showings.

Isn't that sad?

"Kudos to the skating sequences and special effects wizardry".

Whatever happened to practical effects? Now everything is or isn't it CGI? We never know now for sure except the obvious explosions, aliens, sci-fi graphics, etc.

I wish Margo Robbie the best, taking on the role of one of the most despicable examples of humanity. Any further comments related to Tonya Harding would get me banned, kind of like Ms. Harding's career :eek:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Why is it sad??

Obviously Margot Robbie cannot skate like Harding so to maintain audience believability her skating scenes were augmented.

Nothing wrong with that and it’s standard procedure.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Why is it sad??

Obviously Margot Robbie cannot skate like Harding so to maintain audience believability her skating scenes were augmented.

Nothing wrong with that and it’s standard procedure.

I guess what I think is sad is nothing is real any more. Goes way back to something like "Flashdance". Jennifer Beals couldn't handle the dance moves so they were done by at least three different body doubles. But they were humans, not machine created CGI elements. Big difference. If the CGI necessary for it to pass as somewhat realistic was around at that time they may have possibly used it.

Not trying to argue with you, we just have different opinions that we can politely discuss here on HTF. :)

Last edited:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Make sure you see the film before you completely condemn Harding because that's what this story is about: the very tough life she had to overcome as 'white trash' to compete with these privileged princesses. And don't forget it was the boyfriend who concocted and contracted the 'hit job' of his own misguided volition.

The whole point to this film is there are always two sides to every story and the details matter when making judgments. Harding was also a victim of her circumstances, and of the world's worst mother (Allison Janney, spelling btw, and a lock for best supporting actress.)

And what's ironic is her story is a lot more interesting than the privileged princesses who populate the sport and that's why, because of this film, she'll probably be remembered more than... what's the name of the skater who got whacked? (I should have left a wink here)

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Make sure you see the film before you completely condemn Harding because that's what this story is about: the very tough life she had to overcome as 'white trash' to compete with these privileged princesses. And don't forget it was the boyfriend who concocted and contracted the 'hit job' of his own misguided volition.

The whole point to this film is there are always two sides to every story and the details matter when making judgments. Harding was also a victim of her circumstances, and of the world's worst mother (Allison Janney, spelling btw, and a lock for best supporting actress.)

And what's ironic is her story is a lot more interesting than the privileged princesses who populate the sport and that's why, because of this film, she'll probably be remembered more than... what's the name of the skater who got whacked? (I should have left a wink here)
Even shortly after the incident it had become clear that the husband acted on his own.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Allison Janney won the supporting actress Golden Globe last night for her role as the mother, as expected. And I just read an interview with the screenwriter Steven Rogers, who said he casually met her many years ago and specifically wrote this part for her and no one else. That's how clearly he saw she could do this mother.

And I love the fact Janney showed up on the ceremony last night wearing a fake bird on her shoulder.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Still have to wonder what Nancy Kerrigan thinks of all this. I didn't see the GGs, but I heard that Harding was getting a lot of thanks and all that. And at the very least she's riding on a small wave a relevance again. I have to also imagine she's making some money off this film.

Even shortly after the incident it had become clear that the husband acted on his own.

I did read that it was admitted that Tonya did have prior knowledge of the plot. That She was at least peripherally involved.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Tonya's life/career was trashed after the Kerrigan incident, regardless of whether she was involved or not, something we'll never know the truth about, but her skating career was history.

Have liked most of Allison Janney;s roles, will have to see if can find this one somewhere.

I know it's just actors playing a part, but I really don't enjoy her slutty portrayal of Anna Faris' mother on "Mom". Not a classy show and I gave up watching it a while ago.

Apparently Tonya is doing some landscaping type of work (if you believe the internet) and supposedly getting a piece of the profits from the movie, so she's not some destitute homeless person living on the streets.

She's got her trailer trash image that may follow her forever, but she's paid the price, time to leave her alone. I hope she succeeds in life.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I guess what I think is sad is nothing is real any more. Goes way back to something like "Flashdance". Jennifer Beals couldn't handle the dance moves so they were done by at least three different body doubles. But they were humans, not machine created CGI elements. Big difference. If the CGI necessary for it to pass as somewhat realistic was around at that time they may have possibly used it.

I imagine that if they could have found an actress who can land a triple axel, they would have.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I did read that it was admitted that Tonya did have prior knowledge of the plot. That She was at least peripherally involved.

That's not accurate, and apparently came from a Newsweek reporter who misstated what Harding recently said during an interview on 20/20. She was never charged with having prior knowledge, but she was charged (and pleaded guilty to) hindering the investigation after the fact.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I watched the whole Nancy vs. Tonya debacle, or as much of it as I could, unfold in real time before my 11-year-old eyes. Even knowing they'd take at least some liberties with the truth for the sake of moving the plot forward (seriously, what biopic doesn't? God knows The Sound of Music does but they saved Fox's bacon) I absolutely loved it. Allison Janney was perfectly cast (anyone who saw Drop Dead Gorgeous knew she had it in her), Margot Robbie impressed me, and the guy playing Shawn Eckhardt stole the show. The guy was an idiot; there is no other way to describe it, and his performance deserves as much praise as all the others. As for the CGI combination of skater and Margot's face, at least they have the technology to do it. In 1994, that could still give us Forrest Gump and Toy Story, but this would not have been possible. There's no way Margot could have learned to become an Olympic-quality skater in just a few weeks. It just can't be done. Think about dubbed actors in musicals (I can live with that but not autotune); it's similar to that. Still, good on her for having this and Goodbye, Christopher Robin in the same year.

Unlike our anti-heroine at the Olympics, It won't go home empty-handed on Oscar night. EDIT: Oops. I spoke too soon. Hopefully voters won't judge the movie by this.

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Our MoviePass choice for today. I did not know much about the film, other than Allison Janney receiving awards - deservedly so. Obviously I remember the "incident" as it made for a compelling Olympic story and for all the coverage from questionable journalistic shows trying to make a name for themselves (ahem, Hard Copy).

Interesting way to tell the story and a very entertaining film. I was amazed that they found someone who was the near spitting image of Shawn, Gilooly's portrayer was also pretty spot on. Really enjoyed the syle of the film. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out for the Oscar's.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If they didn't cast Anne Hathaway as Kerrigan, that was a missed opportunity. She would have uttered a very convincing and moving "Whyyyyyyy meeeeeee?" It could have been her "Stellaaaaaaaaa!" career moment. :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
This certainly puts Audrey Hepburn's non-nomination for My Fair Lady in perspective.
To be fair, wasn't there also a bit of a backlash because they cast Audrey for her star power over Julie Andrews, who originated the role onstage, could have done her own singing, and obviously went on to have a fairly decent film career. (yes there's a bit of sarcasm from me in the "fairly decent" part, in case that doesn't come through)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks