What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

3D I, THE JURY 3D (1953) at the TCM Film Festival 4/22/2022 (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
PXL_20221027_170523934.MP.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I considered that, to watch a few more scary movies before Halloween, but I figure if CF was nice enough to send it to me early, I should return the favor by watching it now.
For me, the morning of November 1st is before the official release date of November 8th. :D

jack phillips

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard
I also received my order in less than 48hrs. from the time of ordering, without paying the premium for faster postal service, and I live on the other side of the country. Way to go, ClassicFlix (and USPS).

I have neither 4K nor 3-D capabilities, so I'm stuck with regular old blu-ray, and . . . what an incredible image! The Bradbury Bldg. has never looked lovelier.

The extras are great, especially the unaired TV pilot starring Brian Keith. Great body count. Huh, maybe I can guess why this was never shown.

I'm a huge Peggie Castle fan, and I like all the attention this release gives her. A particularly nice touch is the photo on the inside of the sleeve. Now every time I open the box I can look right at her.

Very classy, ClassicFlix. Thank you.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I also received my order in less than 48hrs. from the time of ordering, without paying the premium for faster postal service, and I live on the other side of the country. Way to go, ClassicFlix (and USPS).

I have neither 4K nor 3-D capabilities, so I'm stuck with regular old blu-ray, and . . . what an incredible image! The Bradbury Bldg. has never looked lovelier.

The extras are great, especially the unaired TV pilot starring Brian Keith. Great body count. Huh, maybe I can guess why this was never shown.

I'm a huge Peggie Castle fan, and I like all the attention this release gives her. A particularly nice touch is the photo on the inside of the sleeve. Now every time I open the box I can look right at her.

Very classy, ClassicFlix. Thank you.
Wow!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Just goes to show that it CAN be done without excuses.

Meanwhile I just today received one of my two Shout! orders placed about 30 days ago. No word yet on the second one.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Well now that I’ve got this nicely produced, must-buy gem in my grubby paws, I’ll take a few moments to dole out some acknowledgments:

First, to distribution/rights-rep exec Nick Varley and colleagues/clients at Park Circus/Romulus/et al. for at long last prying this long-AWOL piece of history from the vault.

Next, to UCLA and Roundabout for a splendid (to my eye) restoration. And of course Jury star Biff Elliot’s widow Connie for helping fund it.

And as we all know, a restoration without a home-media component is a tree falling in the forest… so a big shout-out to David at ClassicFlix for a terrific job; this release is a no-brainer for suitably equipped classic-3D collectors, film noir enthusiasts or Spillane fans (guilty on all 3 counts!). And ClassicFlix is even bringing us the last missing piece (albeit 2D) in the Spillane ‘50s movie canon: 1954’s highly enjoyable (if politically incorrect) The Long Wait. David, you’re the best. Keep bringing us those Noir rarities (Noirities…?)

And there’s one other shout-out I’d like to give… the loudest of all. And that’s to…

Bob Furmanek.

What?? But 3DFA wasn’t even involved in this release!?

Au contraire.

I doubt I’d be holding this little treasure right now – if ever – were it not for Bob’s two decades of dedicated, tireless, incessant inquiring, pleading, cajoling, haranguing, bleating… his investigative work… his making of introductions… his expenditure of shoe leather… like a dogged Mike Hammer … all in service of eventually realizing this product we now have. The paper trail (or the photo, blog, chatboard and social-post trail…) is there.

Somewhere along the homestretch (or the final innings…. or the 4th quarter… or the back 9… or pick your sports analogy…) Bob and the rightsholders had a parting of the ways, and 3DFA, after powering the project downfield, was not deployed to get it toward the end zone and across the goal line. Hey, these things happen in business. This of course does not alter the reality that Bob was the connective tissue toward making this disc ultimately materialize.

And I’ll argue the point from a different angle: Would there even be the robust market there is today for classic 3D blu rays were it not for 3DFA?

For example, take me. (OK, don’t…)

Even after the 3D blu rays of House of Wax, Dial M and Man in the Dark, I was still on-the-fence about upgrading to 3D equipment. But then came 3DFA’s gorgeous restoration of Gog (with a Tom Weaver commentary no less!) and I finally took the leap – spending 3X for a 3D-capable Samsung Curve what I would have paid for a comparable 2D counterpart. And I’ve never looked back. And over the years 3DFA has nearly singlehandedly satiated my endless appetite for classic 3D blu rays (or at least has tried to…). I’ve long said 3D home hardware providers owe 3DFA some kind of commission.

So Bob, take a bow. And then get back to work trying to pry open those WB vaults! (And, while you’re at it, keep working on Flight to Tangier… and Cat Women… and Frankenstein’s Bloody Terror… and Operation Taifun… and Tales of the Third Dimension…and… and….)

And to everyone else: BUY THIS DISC! It’s great, and your purchase helps keep the spigot open on classic 3D (and noir)!

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Just goes to show that it CAN be done without excuses.

Meanwhile I just today received one of my two Shout! orders placed about 30 days ago. No word yet on the second one.
Yes. Media Mail has improved greatly recently. It used to be 7 - 10 days for most shipments, and occasionally 2 - 3 weeks for others (and worse during the pandemic). However, for most of this year, we've seen 2 - 3 days on a lot of shipments, even to the east coast.

It's not likely to be this good during the Christmas Season, but for now Media Mail is holding its own with First Class and even Priority in some cases.

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I don't have the equipment for watching in 3D. Some scenes were more obviously intended for 3D than others (like the opening murder). But that aside, the picture looked exceptional. I had not seen this particular Hammer film (as opposed to Hammer Film ;) ) before. Can't say that Biff Elliott struck me as a good actor for the role (I definitely preferred Brian Keith in the included TV pilot), and the identity of the killer was too obvious fairly early on, but it was an entertaining movie nonetheless.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Can't say that Biff Elliott struck me as a good actor for the role (I definitely preferred Brian Keith in the included TV pilot),
Ditto, I'm afraid. Biff's enormously likeable when you listen to his commentary (one of the many treasures of this package), and I believe he could have been great with better direction, but it's clear why he wasn't cast again in the role.

To this point, Spillane was famously dissatisfied with all the Hammer casting choices (repeatedly pushing to get his non-actor cop pal Jack Stang cast). He recounted the time he sat in on an early Jury screening; when Biff first appears, proclaiming, "I'm Mike Hammer!," a guy in the audience jumped up and, in Spillane's telling, yelled "DAT's Mike Hammuh??!" :)

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
We don't make a habit of these kind of posts, but I don't know if there is something in the water, or what is going on, but a handful of people have gotten a bee in their bonnet about our release of I, THE JURY and have posted severely negative reviews on Amazon with 42% giving it a 1 star out of 5.

Negative reviews are part of the territory, but this many so early after the release which so many have enjoyed (without corresponding positive reviews) drags down the ratings and can ultimately have a severe impact against a potential buyer's impression of the release.

So with that said, if you like our release of I, THE JURY, or even if you just want to support our label, please consider leaving a review.

Thank you,

- David

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
To be honest 42% is just 2 negative reviews so it's not like the sites being bombarded by a organized disgruntled group like has happened before .
One guy seems to praise the transfer and just dislikes the movie including many of the same complaints posted here.
The other is someone who I bet doesn't even have a 3D setup (or at least a functioning system) since his complaints don't seem to make sense -- maybe he was expecting an Anaglyph 3D?

I guess it couldn't hurt to gain some positive reviews, but I don't think the folks who are interested in buying this would even look at those
reviews anyway. I'd bet 95% of the market is in one of the remaining forums like this. It's not like there are tons of potential consumers who are 3D capable who would just accidentally stumble on this item as an impulse buy.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
To be honest 42% is just 2 negative reviews so it's not like the sites being bombarded by a organized disgruntled group like has happened before .
One guy seems to praise the transfer and just dislikes the movie including many of the same complaints posted here.
The other is someone who I bet doesn't even have a 3D setup (or at least a functioning system) since his complaints don't seem to make sense -- maybe he was expecting an Anaglyph 3D?

I guess it couldn't hurt to gain some positive reviews, but I don't think the folks who are interested in buying this would even look at those
reviews anyway. I'd bet 95% of the market is in one of the remaining forums like this. It's not like there are tons of potential consumers who are 3D capable who would just accidentally stumble on this item as an impulse buy.
There are 3 "1 star" ratings of which as two people left a review, but one did not. This leaves the "5 star" global rating at a paltry 41%. I'm not saying it should be 100%, but how many people will gloss over a product when it has only 41% that like it enough to give it 5 stars?

- David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks